Latest post Sun, Nov 6 2011 2:05 PM by kd-53. 55 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 4 2011 6:13 PM In reply to

• CR8VDO
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 31 2008
    • St. Louis
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,920

Re: MC 6 and BCC updates - Not impressed with pricing model

I'm not impressed with much of anything they offer anymore.  Adobe OWNS Avid when it comes to file compatiability and a stable system.  I'm now using Adobe Premiere and getting an easier and faster workflow than when I use Avid, I prefer Avid, but since they don't support most of the equipment I use, specifically the Sony NX5U, I won't be purchasing any upgrade from them.  I can get any upgrades or versions online from a hacker and try it out first.  Usually, the hacked versions are more stable anyway.

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601) Install Language: English (United States) System Locale: English (United States) Installed: 12/13... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 4 2011 6:19 PM In reply to

CR8VDO, if you need to try it out first, you can get a legal 30-day trial version for free.
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 4 2011 6:31 PM In reply to

I can't imagine how anything hacked could be more stable. Generally messing around with code hacks causes all sorts of issues.

And as for stability I read plenty of posts of PPro crashes and lost edits particularly for long form work.

Even with previous memory bugs MC still rules for 90 min or longer edits.

And with V6 the AMA support has grown and there's every indication it will continue to grow.

My concern with those looking the Adobe route is that it's impossible to know what Adobe plan for the future and they like apple may well decide to cash in on the bulk non pro work at some point and go the X route.

While Avid are heading in the right direction I'm far happier to stick with a company that has to make professional editing work to pay their wages!

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Nov 4 2011 6:47 PM In reply to

to add to all the other comments... hacks are certainly no way to go for a professional editing solution. If you are happy with a program... go for it. If not find something you like if it has all YOU need for the price you are willing to pay.

Dell Precision 670, Xeon 3Ghz 3GB Memory 1 x 250 systemdisk, Gb 2x500 Gb datadisks, 4x 1Tb datadisks, Soundblaster Audigy, Quadro FX 1400, MC latest, Mojo... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.AvidUserGroup.NL fcp2avid

"The Technology Is Not Guilty" - Nicolas Philibert quoted in "Documentary in the digital age" by Maxine Baker (2006)

• Fri, Nov 4 2011 7:32 PM In reply to

• DFW Hokie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,655

Marianna:

give us a week to work out the "deets"..... a lot of moving parts here but what we have done so far is fair so I dont expect us to do anything wacky unless Boris has requirements.  Dont know this yet.

Marianna

I agree totally with the fairness comment.  I have always been impressed with Avid's treatment of its customers.  What I and a few others have been trying to express to Avid (via this forum) is that we consider the true upgrade price to be $299 + $BCC 8. 

We will make our purchase decision accordingly.

• Fri, Nov 4 2011 7:47 PM In reply to

• cbezeike
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 207
    • Points 2,660

Wow that's not good :( I have to pay both ways?!

I have Magic Bullet Looks too, I hope it works for MC.

OS: Windows 7/64bit; OS Hard drive: 160 GB Sata Software: Media Composer 5.0.3, CPU: Intel P-4 930 3.0Ghz Dual Core; Memory: 4G, Motherboard: Asus... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 4 2011 7:58 PM In reply to

• Atomike
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Nebraska
    • Posts 737
    • Points 11,230

Currently, Magic Bullet is pretty clear on its website that Media Composer is not supported at all. Some have said that it can in some situations work with MC 5 - however, unless Red Giant makes an official announcement sometime soon, you should not plan on MC 6 working with any Magic Bullet products.

Red Giant may be planning future compatibility, but right now, their version matrix says it all. No Avid support. Period.

Media Composer version: usually newest release, or 1 behind. Nvidia GTX 1070Ti Windows 10, Core i7 8700K processor, ASRock GA 1151 Z370 Motherboard... [view my complete system specs]

I spend most of my time between New York and Los Angeles.  In Nebraska.

• Fri, Nov 4 2011 8:01 PM In reply to

• cbezeike
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 207
    • Points 2,660

Ok I've read the whole thread and still need some clarifications. I understand only BCC 8 will work with MC6 due to the 64bit situation. If you upgrade to MC6 you pay $299 for the BCC8 upgrade.

What about AVID DVD, FX & Sorensen? Is this a new version and is there any need to buy it again when we already have it on our system? I already have that bundle from my MC5 purchase.

OS: Windows 7/64bit; OS Hard drive: 160 GB Sata Software: Media Composer 5.0.3, CPU: Intel P-4 930 3.0Ghz Dual Core; Memory: 4G, Motherboard: Asus... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 4 2011 8:07 PM In reply to

• DFW Hokie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,655

cbezeike:

Ok I've read the whole thread and still need some clarifications. I understand only BCC 8 will work with MC6 due to the 64bit situation. If you upgrade to MC6 you pay $299 for the BCC8 upgrade.

What about AVID DVD, FX & Sorensen? Is this a new version and is there any need to buy it again when we already have it on our system? I already have that bundle from my MC5 purchase.

comes with

• Fri, Nov 4 2011 8:10 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,691
    • Points 61,300

Magic Bullet 2.0 does not work with MC, but the Magic Bullet 1.0 (1.4?) from a couple of years ago works just fine with MC 5.5.3.

RedGiantSoftware indicated that they are working on an Avid solution but I'm guessing that that may have been put on hold due to the 64-bit issue - who knows...

Cheers

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2019.8 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 7 | Windows 10 Pro x64 ... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Fri, Nov 4 2011 8:11 PM In reply to

• cbezeike
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 207
    • Points 2,660

DFW Hokie:

comes with

Ok thanks. I think I was confused the way things are worded in Mariana's post that you have to pay $299 to get DVD, FX & Sorensen. But it's actually $299 for MC6 and you get the bundle.

• Fri, Nov 4 2011 8:26 PM In reply to

• cbezeike
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 207
    • Points 2,660

Ok thanks Atomike & BarkinMadd for the input. I have the older Magic Bullet Looks (from around 2009) and it works with my MC 5. I'm quite suprised AVID and Magic Bullet haven't figured out a way to work together on the new verisons. They don't care for each other's customer's? Strange...

It seems I will not be upgrading to MC6 for now. I'm okay paying for the upgrade but it's going to cost me with all the plugins. I don't need to do that.

I've been editing on AVID since 2004 and love it! I have two cams, one AVCHD and the other a Canon DSLR. As we know MC5's AMA only supports H264 but the MC6 does both which is awesome.

However I had an editing gig and the client insisted I edit on Premiere. They gave me the harddrive with the Premiere project and AVCHD and H264 clips. I haven't edited on Premiere since around 2006 but I was forced to because of this gig. I have to be honest it is a breeze. It makes editing video so pain free it's unbelievable. The way it works with audio is not so seamless but I'm figuring that out too.

Trashing Premier is a waste of time, the thing works...

• Fri, Nov 4 2011 8:34 PM In reply to

cbezeike:

I have Boris Continuum Complete AVX 6.06 in my MC 5 effects pallet. If I upgrade to MC 6 will my BCC effects still work?

BCC effects that are already rendered in MC 5 most likely will be "read only" in MC 6. That means the normal plug-in icon will be an empty square, and you will be able to play it, but not be able to alter the effect or the clips that are associated with it, or it will go media offline.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Nov 4 2011 10:17 PM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

Wow - you sure can't please everyone (not that you ever could).  We have 4 Avids and while I am not thrilled about buying BCC seperately, it is still a great price and it does cost money to make money.  I think the pricing is very fair, considering what you receive.  And if you cannot afford or don't want BCC, then don't buy it - it is not mandatory to have on your system.  At least Avid arranged for special pricing instead of just leaving you completely on your own.

And please remember, Marianna is the best friend we have and doesn't make policy at Avid, she just tries to make it work for us.  Show me someone at Adobe or Apple who is even a quarter of her equivalent.  Show a little appreciation and respect.

Just my opinion.

- Mike

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 4 2011 10:25 PM In reply to

vpcmike:

And please remember, Marianna is the best friend we have and doesn't make policy at Avid, she just tries to make it work for us.  Show me someone at Adobe or Apple who is even a quarter of her equivalent.  Show a little appreciation and respect.

I agree 1000% There is no one, in any other company I know about or deal with on a daily basis, that can measure up to her talents and achievements. She's the best friend you could ever have.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 2 of 4 (56 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller