Latest post Sun, Sep 25 2011 7:42 AM by hbrock. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 23 2011 1:50 AM

• heiner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 9 2009
    • Posts 14
    • Points 210

Trouble importing mxf files in MC 3.1

I hope someone will have the answer to this because I am so lost. I've been working on a project in MC 3.0 with P2 media.

I've successfully imported loads of footage so far. Tonight however, I couldn't import two of the cards. I transfered them  onto the computer HD like normal then tried import P2> clips to bin>. I got the error: "FILE NOT FOUND!" What does that mean?? The clips play fine inside the camera. None of them say they are damaged or anything. The transfered files now on my computer's HD even load and play in my P2CMS software. So I know the footage is all there and intact... why can't I get it into MC?? What can I do to access this footage. I will have lost all the footage from today's shoot if I can't figure this out... I tried importing the mxf files directly into a numbered folder inside the MXF Media files folder (separate number). But I also can't get the Media Tool to load ANYTHING. Every time I try to load the master clips, the Media Tool loads a blank window. It looks like it is going to load the files, but then the window is always completely blank. I can't figure that out either...I did notice that the mxf files that I moved into the media files folder from  the P2 contents folder are still locked. I tried unlocking one of them, but Media Tool still loads a blank window. No files. Is there any hope?? I can't afford to lose this footage. I have tried copying them from the cards a couple of times. Same results.

Please help!

Thanks!

Media Composer 3.1 Mac, OS 10.5.8  2 dual 2.8 ghz quad cores, 6 GB ram, NVIDIA GeFORCE 8800 GT 

Filed under: , , ,
  • Fri, Sep 23 2011 11:28 AM In reply to

Re: Trouble importing mxf files in MC 3.1

Start by rebuilding the media database files.Quit the application, and in each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify as "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb". If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point.

And make sure you are following the Media Folder Management ground rules:

1) The "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF media) and the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder (for OMF media, if you have any) MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, not inside any other folders or the system will not be able to find the media.

2) The folder names must always be the factory default names listed above (minus the quotes) or the system will not be able to find the media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Sep 23 2011 5:12 PM In reply to

• heiner
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 210

Thanks for responding to my post, I really appreciate it. I continued to get the: File " not found, error message until I decided to try and see if MC would see the files in the camera. I turned on the camera and tried importing clips to bin that way and that worked. So I was able to get the footage into the project and transcoded successfully, but I'm afraid as soon as I reformat those cards I won't have a back up for that footage since MC doesn't seem to recognize the files once transfered to my computer for some reason.. Perhaps something is corrupted? No idea.

As for Media Tool: I did refresh the database files several times last night and still could not get Media Tool to load mxf files I manually put into any of the mxf folders. I even took every other folder that was on that drive (brand new drive) off so the only thing on that drive right now is the Avid MediafFiles mxf folders-all named with a number. Still I can't get anything to load in Media Tool. When I installed the dirve, I moved all the mxf media files onto that drive from another one. I have been importing via clips to bin and then transcoding to DnX 90 X without any problems until now. Hamburger menu in Media Tool doesn't have a Set Bin Display to show Master Clips, but I made sure the bin I had open was set to show master clips.. No master clips are loading. Are there settings I need to change somewhere? Import settings? Media Creation settings? I have looked and looked but I can't think of anything. As of now I have a couple more cards of footage that I have transfered onto my computer that are still not importing giving me the same error message. I'm going to try to put them back onto the cards in the camera and see if MC will recognize them then. Any other thoughts?? I really appreciate it. 

Thanks!

• Fri, Sep 23 2011 5:27 PM In reply to

Make sure the path for your media is as follows:

X:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1,2,3, and so on, where "X:" represents your media drive. When you use the standard import function, master clips are created and loaded into the bin you target in the import tool, and associated linked media files are created and placed in a numerical folder inside the MXF folder, inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, which should be a the root level of your media drive. Once these imports are successful and you have saved the contents of the bin, running the media tool should display the contents of that bin(s). Is this not happening on your system?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Sep 23 2011 7:34 PM In reply to

• heiner
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 210

Thanks again for your help. I wonder if I caused a problem when I transfered all of my media files (mxf) onto a new drive... cause right now in my current project I have hours and hours worth of footage and many many clips imported already, but Media Tool doesn't seem to recognize any of it. I just did another test in Media Tool. I selected all the drives and selected only the current project. The results were 1 mxf file and its three associated audio files. Nothing else. The creation date for those files was a couple days before I moved all the media onto a new drive...so perhaps that affected Media Tool's ability to locate files?? I have no idea. So to answer your question, no, I can't get Media Tool to show me anything in this project except those four files that were among the very first imported for this project back in early August. I don't know how to confirm my media path. In the bins the Drive colum shows only my media drive and no other path details. The native P2 files from the cards is all on a separate drive, if that makes any diff. The Avid MediaFiles folder with the mxf and numbered folders are in the order you listed and they are the only things on that drive at the moment. What exactly did you mean by "Once these imports are successful and you have saved the contents of the bin..."? Do you mean once I have the media along with the clips in the bins? Maybe I don't know how to properly use the Media Tool? Am I not following the steps properly?

• Fri, Sep 23 2011 8:39 PM In reply to

heiner:
    I wonder if I caused a problem when I transfered all of my media files (mxf) onto a new drive...

Please verify that when you moved media files, you followed the ground rules I listed earlier. It is very important that you do so, or the system will not be able to find the media. The actual media files themselves live in the "1" folder (and additional numerical folders if you have them - when "1" reaches 5,000 files, a new numerical folder is created, and so on). With the media files in their proper folder and the ground rules followed, and with the actual project folder located inside the master "Avid Projects" folder on your system drive, rebuilding the media database as per previous instructions should solve your problem.

heiner:
    What exactly did you mean by "Once these imports are successful and you have saved the contents of the bin..."? Do you mean once I have the media along with the clips in the bins?

Yes, once you have master clips in bins in your project and you double click one of them and its associated media is displayed in the source monitor, the above steps should allow the media tool to populate a bin that will display all your media files - SO LONG AS you have chosen all three display options from the media tool - master clips, pre-computes, and media files.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Sep 23 2011 9:11 PM In reply to

• heiner
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 210

Thanks again. Yes I did. I had a brand new drive and all I did was copy the Avid MediaFiles folder and all of its mxf folders inside of it over to the new drive. Once everything made it over I refreshed the database files, and changed the target drive in all the settings I could think of for that new drive. I also moved some other folders onto that drive to back them up. Some of them contained mxf files. but they were also on the root level of the drive, separate from the Avid MediaFiles folder(s). While trouble shooting, I removed those other files on the root level and moved them to another drive. Didn't think they would be a problem... I haven't tried to use Media Tool until this problem with these most recent P2 cards became apparent.. I am aware of the 5,000 file limit and I think I have around 1500 files inside folder 1 and about half that much in folder number 2. There are a handful in the others that I've put there while trying to import them using Media Tool but haven't been successful. 

In the threads I read about importing mxf using Media Tool, you are only supposed to select Master Clips to search for those clips that you manually put into the mxf folders? Is that not correct? Regardless I think there is something else going on that is keeping Media Tool from seeing all of my files because even when all options are selected, only 4 files show up..

My current work around seems to be saving me so far, that being copying files back onto the P2 cards while mounted in the camera, then importing directly from camera.  I just wish I knew how to fix the Media Tool prob, cause I'm afraid this will continue to happen on my system in the next project..

• Fri, Sep 23 2011 9:21 PM In reply to

Do this. Instead of the media tool, use the standard import tool for those other files you are trying to bring in. If they import successfully, and you then have master clips in the bin that are media online, they should then be shown in the media tool when you run it for that current project, all 3 display options active, and target the appropriate media drive(s).

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Sep 23 2011 10:51 PM In reply to

• heiner
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 210

Thanks for your help Larry. I will give proceed that way.

• Fri, Sep 23 2011 11:08 PM In reply to

You're quite welcome. If after doing the above, you have usable clips with online media and you still get an empty Media Tool bin, rebuild the database files again.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Sep 24 2011 7:13 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,140
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Please be aware that you cannot copy the MXF files from a P2 card directly into the Avid MediaFiles bin you have to use Import P2...clips to bin and then Import P2...media.  That last step re-wraps the P2 MXF files into a format that the Media Tool can track properly.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sat, Sep 24 2011 6:20 PM In reply to

• heiner
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 210

Thank you for responding. I was unaware of that. It seems to contradict the P2 workflow recommendations in several threads in the forums. I'm a little confused by your response. http://community.avid.com/forums/p/56132/313268.aspx#313268 Maybe it's because I'm in 3.1?

• Sun, Sep 25 2011 7:42 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,140
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Section 1 of that post applies to MC 3.1.

P2 MXF files can not be dropped directly into the Avid MediaFiles folder whether using the P2 Import... or AMA workflows. 

MXF files are not the same as there can be differences in metadata and structure depending on the source of the MXF file. 

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller