Latest post Tue, Sep 20 2011 7:18 PM by Andrew Rice. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 17 2011 10:07 PM

• Andrew Rice
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 24 2011
    • Maui, Hawaii
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,010

Staying in SYNC with Ripple Trim

Ok, I am one of the new "switchers" from FCP, and am really loving Media Composer.  These forums have been VERY helpful as I make my way through my first project.  Thanks to all!

So...I am having trouble with Ripple Trim, and I can't seem to figure this one out on my own... 

I have sucessfuly used ripple trim to edit in the timeline with only one track of video and two tracks of audio.  But when my timeline gets more complicated with layers of video and audio I can't seem to find a way to perform a ripple trim and keep ALL the tracks in sync.

The attached image "timeline.png" shows the timeline before I perform a ripple trim, and the lower half of the image shows the timeline again and what happens after I perform the ripple trim...with the tracks with green arrows and a red "X" being out of Sync.

Legend:

• Yellow arrows: The clip I am performing the ripple trim on
    • Green arrows: Sync Point
    • Green arrows w/Red X:  Out of Sync tracks

I have tried "selecting all tracks" w/ Command-A before I trim, but that doesnt seem to work.  I am sure I amiising something simple here.  Please help!  Thanks in advance.

Media Composer 8.4 • Mac Pro • 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon • 16GB RAM • ATI Radeon HD 5770 • Nvidia Quadra 4000 • Blackmagic Decklink Studio • BMD Desktop... [view my complete system specs]

Glassy waves make me happy

• Sat, Sep 17 2011 11:32 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 944
    • Points 11,060

Re: Staying in SYNC with Ripple Trim

Sync Locks will help you to stay in sync (it's the small button right from the track button).

You can search in the Help for Sync Locks:

"Activate sync locks for maintaining sync during edits. Click next to the Timecode track to switch sync locks on and off for all tracks."

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Sat, Sep 17 2011 11:32 PM In reply to

What you want to do is enable the sync-locks (to the right of the track names, its like a forward slash).

For every track that has sync lock enabled an equivalent trim will be made to that track.

With the trim rollers, you can Shift select specific head/tails on diferent tracks to perform asymetric trims. And you can Command select a trim roller to set it as the specific point from where the trim will be monitored.

One nice tip is, if you make a trim and then come out of trim-mode to review you can go right back to the previous roller selection by holding ALT when you press the trim-mode button.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 18 2011 12:06 AM In reply to

• Andrew Rice
    • Not Ranked
    • Maui, Hawaii
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,010

Ahh, Sync Locks, Cool.  Big Mahalos for the help..I knew it was something very simple.  Lovin' the AVID!  Goodby FCP. 

A Google Search revealed this cool bit of info on Sync Locks:

http://splicenow.com/2009/02/16/sync-locks-and-why-you-need-them/

Media Composer 8.4 • Mac Pro • 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon • 16GB RAM • ATI Radeon HD 5770 • Nvidia Quadra 4000 • Blackmagic Decklink Studio • BMD Desktop... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Sep 19 2011 9:03 PM In reply to

• SteveK
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 319
    • Points 3,600

To preview and edit use the mappable play loop function.

I map it to shift-play

The avid will loop around the trim point and you can trim on each loop.

The pre and post roll is defined in settings-trim

(PS the similar sync lock box next to TC1 will lock all tracks at once.)

Steve

Numerous clients mojo to Nitris PC systems 6.5 to 2018.3 with interplay with ISIS/UNITY, EVS transfer/w IP director At Home: new 2017 15" i7 MacbookPro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 20 2011 5:15 AM In reply to

• darkoibr
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 30 2011
    • Posts 127
    • Points 1,700

Also just keep a simple rule in mind when doing anything in MC. If the roller is yellow that means it will affect the actual lenght of the timeline. So in order to maintain sync you have to apply yellow rollers to all tacks, otherwise you will change the actual duration of tracks 1 - 3 and leave 4 and 5 untouched.. meaning you fall out of sync.. Sync lock helps but keep that in mind.. In general in MC anything that is yellow , splice, extract, yellow roller (Ripple Trim) affect the duration of your sequence. You are actually adding or removing material while preserving everything around it. Red color (overwrite, lift, red roller) adds, removes, resizes stuff but it doesn't alter the lenght of your sequence. Just overwrites..

• Tue, Sep 20 2011 7:18 PM In reply to

• Andrew Rice
    • Not Ranked
    • Maui, Hawaii
    • Posts 155
    • Points 2,010

Thanks for the help!  I am getting a grip on Media Composer.  I'll try the play loop...nice.  There are just so many great tools packed into MC! I feel I will be discovering more for a while....

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller