Latest post Sun, Sep 18 2011 12:52 AM by Omar N. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Sep 17 2011 9:56 PM

• Omar N
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 19 2009
    • Chicago, IL
    • Posts 190
    • Points 2,590

What is the best way to transfer media to a different project?

Hello everybody,

Can anyone recommend what the best way would be to transfer media which already exists in the Avid MediaFiles folder into a different project?  I created a project with the wrong frame rate, and so then I created a new one with the correct frame rate.  For now, I just went to File > Open Bin, and opened the bin from the old project in the new one.

This is great but now that I want to delete the project, will the media in my new project that I took from the old projects bin be lost?  Do I have to consolidate it?  I am running it off the same drive.

Thank you all very much for your help.

~Omar

• Sat, Sep 17 2011 10:52 PM In reply to

• Stu
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 6 2010
    • Washington DC
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,205

Re: What is the best way to transfer media to a different project?

To answer your question I don't know how one can change the 'project name' to all the material within a bin, where ever it was imported seems to be glued in the metadata forever, please continue reading for it may help prevent future problems like yours, very generalized.

I'm currently in an experimental phase right now.  As I understand it, when you create a new project, that project name is also associated with that framerate.  What I say below is just from personal experience using MC teaching myself, as well as burying myself into some really dumb media management related situations.

In order to bring 59.940p material into your already created "Mountain Bike Doc" which is 23.976p, you would then make another project (labeled as "720 59.940p" for example, temporary) just to simply import the 60p material then move it into the bins created in the "Mountain Bike Doc".

This is where I went wrong (the 60p importing part)

When it came down to the media consolidation phase, I then realized anytime I imported 60p material, it will not show up in my "Mountain Bike Doc" when I would use the Media Tool - Display: [media] Drive, select current project "Mountain Bike Doc", none of the 60p material would be displayed.  I then later realized that if I display not only the "Mountain Bike Doc", but the "720 59.940p" project, I then can see the 60p material that is included in the "Mountain Bike Doc" but now I see all other 60p material from other projects, because I used the same "720 59.940p" project file just to simply import 60p material into any of my other projects that had 60p.

HOWEVER, this is only my case because I'm importing AVCHD directly into Media Composer, I am forced to create another project file.  What I should have done was create one called "Mountain Bike Doc 23.976" and another called "Mountain Bike Doc 59.940".  That way I know exactly what project both my 60p and 24p material are going to.  Why there have been no clear definitions as to how to do this since version 4 of MC came out (which allowed multiple framerates in a timeline), I don't know.

For those on P2 (I have no experience with XDCamEX), this does not seem to be the case, as importing the old fashioned [Import>clips to bin etc...] way will bring in all footage of all framerates without issue under the same project file name you created.  It's a bit tricky with AMA as when working with AMA'd Canon DSLR .h264 files for example, those have to be transcoded, which means you have to do the "____ 23.976p" and "____ 59.940p" style of import...

Lenovo E31 Thinkstation - MC 8.3.0 - Win7Pro SP1 - 1x Xeon 1275v2 - Kingston 32GB 1600MHz ECC - Quadro2000 /// w540: Win8.1 (not pro) - 4th gen i7 4710MQ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 17 2011 10:59 PM In reply to

• Stu
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Washington DC
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,205

With that said...

It looks like your ALREADY IMPORTED FOOTAGE will be stuck with the label of the old incorrect framerate project name, while your new correct framerate project, and any new file importing, effects rendering, etc will then be under the new project.

Hopefull you've kept track of the names.  If you named your project, realized you messed up, then named another project (with proper framerate) without changing the name, you will then see that you will pull up the Media Tool, you will see that you may have two projects with the same name (as to which one is the correct framerate, only the media it displays will tell it what it is)

Now what I'm doing is just always adding the framerate at the end, like 23p (for 23.976p, not 24.000p) or 59p (for 59.740p), etc.

Lenovo E31 Thinkstation - MC 8.3.0 - Win7Pro SP1 - 1x Xeon 1275v2 - Kingston 32GB 1600MHz ECC - Quadro2000 /// w540: Win8.1 (not pro) - 4th gen i7 4710MQ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 17 2011 11:29 PM In reply to

• Omar N
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago, IL
    • Posts 190
    • Points 2,590

Hi Stu,

Thank you very much for your helpful reply.  I do not however think that this is the same problem that I am having.  Forgive me as I may not have been as clear as I needed to be.

Everything I have been doing has been using AMA.  I created a project entitled "Acciss."  I set it to 1080p24 and plugged in an EX camera to my computer whereupon I consolidated all of the footage onto my hard drive.  I began editing but realized that my media was actually 1080 23.98.  So I quit that project and started a new one.  I called it "Acciss Intro" and I set it to 1080p23.976.

In that project I then went up to the File menu and selected File > Open bin.  I opened the bin that contained all of the consolidated media from my previous project, and it all came into my new project just fine.

The question I have is where do I go from here?  Do I just delete my old project and hope that the linked bin in my new project stays there when the old one gets trashed?  Or do I have to re-consolidate all of the media in my new project?

Basically, all of the media exists in perfect order in the Avid MediaFiles folder, but I am trying to figure out how to link my new project with all those clips in the Avid MediaFiles folder.

Thank you once again for your detailed reply,

~Omar

• Sat, Sep 17 2011 11:56 PM In reply to

• Stu
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Washington DC
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,205

AH.  OK.  Do you understand the way Avid uses bins and folders?  Within a "project file", like "Acciss" for example, you don't get an individual file like you do wiht FCP, or Vegas, or Pr.  Instead it really is a FOLDER labeled "Acciss".  If you go into that folder, you will suddenly see all the bins and folders you've created within Avid.  Avid physically creates Folders (or no folders if there aren't any) and this is where all your bins are, which have the ".avb" extension.

What does this mean?  You can access bins from different projects using 2 different ways (I only know 2 ways, a pro out there reading this will obviously need to chime in on this):

1.  (like the way you did it) While in Avid with the "Acciss Intro" project up and running, you then brought in (by file > open bin) and opened a bin from the "Acciss" project.  Boom, you've opened that bin, HOWEVER, that bin's location is still in the "Acciss" project [within the Acciss folder itself] it has not been moved, hence why a "other bins" folder is created.  So if you go and delete the "Acciss" Project, you will delete the bin.  Master clips can be restored using the Media Tool, given you didn't delete the media files as well, only the master clip.

2.  Outside of Avid, even while minimized is ok... you can literally copy and paste the .avb, or an entire folder that contains .avb's, and put those in the "Acciss Intro" project [the "Acciss Intro" folder].  Now the bin (or folder full of bins) is visisble in your "Acciss Intro" project.  You can cut-and-paste or copy-and-paste, it doesn't matter.  What you can't have is the same bin open at the same time, however, older versions of the same bin can be opened, I've only had that issue pop up a couple of times.

KEEP IN MIND like I stated in the long posts before this one, however you bring in your media, it will get stamped with whatever name that project file is under.  And (as I also stated) unfortunatly I do not know how to change the 'project name' all that footage is under.  This is extremely important when it comes to doing media clean up using the Media Tool.  If you get cluttered up front and not keep it straight you will loose track which media is under which project, which could result in a accidental deletion of media of one project you did intend to delete, but that same media may be used in other projects and go offline!

• Sun, Sep 18 2011 12:52 AM In reply to

• Omar N
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago, IL
    • Posts 190
    • Points 2,590

Thank you Stu!  That did it!  I will be sure to remember this thread so that if I ever have this problem before, I can come back to here.

I really appreciate your time and help.

~Omar

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller