Latest post Mon, Aug 29 2011 2:30 AM by Jarzz. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 27 2011 3:00 PM

• Jarzz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 21 2011
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Avid academic (v.3.5) upgrade to 5.5

Hello,

I've been having a lot of trouble with AVID the past few weeks... I purchased a new iMac with Lion on it and wanted to transfer my current AVID (v.3.5) from my laptop to the desktop.  I found out that that version doesn't work on Lion so downgraded to SNow Leopard.  Don't anyone ever do that because Snow Leopard will not read all the hardware from a Lion machine (good one Apple). So I'm putting Lion back on.  My question is... I saw on the AVID site that the software version 3.5 is available for free upgrade to 5.5 which would work with my new machine, but I need help as to how I go about installing AVID onto Lion when it won't read my current version.  Am I able to just download 5.5 from the AVID site and install it on my new machine from there? I've already deactivated my Laptop's Avid, but am currently in limbo. Any help would be awesome.

-Jeff

• Sat, Aug 27 2011 8:42 PM In reply to

Re: Avid academic (v.3.5) upgrade to 5.5

You can't go from 3.5 to 5.5 for free. Check the pricing for pre-V4 systems in the webstore. If you're on a dongle-based 3.5, you would purchase an upgrade, you'd be able to download the software to install on your Lion machine, and you'd need to update your dongle with a versioner file you would receive, using the Avid Dongle Manager application, which is included with the MC install.
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 27 2011 8:45 PM In reply to

*edit* Just saw you are referring to Academic. You can check your eligibility for the free upgrade here: http://www.avid.com/us/support/upgrade-academic-free.
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 27 2011 9:46 PM In reply to

• Jarzz
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Yeah, that's the page I was refferring to.  I'm a little confused as to what my PC System ID is. I know I purchased it in May of 2009.

• Sat, Aug 27 2011 11:25 PM In reply to

"... confused as to what my PC System ID is ..."

Look in the Console.  It should be listed at the top.  It may also be displayed on the opening splash screen of Media Composer.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Aug 28 2011 5:47 AM In reply to

Your Sys ID should be on the tag attached to your dongle. Otherwise, after launching MC, hit Cmd-6 (Console), and scroll through it. You will find it there.
  • Mon, Aug 29 2011 2:30 AM In reply to

• Jarzz
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

i found my system ID on the bottom of the avid box. 5.5 is all installed and ready to go! I hope so anyway, didn't have to test her out. thanks guys

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller