Latest post Thu, Aug 18 2011 4:53 PM by Pat Horridge. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 18 2011 11:08 AM

• Mark
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 14 2011
    • london
    • Posts 10
    • Points 150

best quality export for ftp

I am working on a project that requires me to ftp files to a graphic designer, for him to drop in gfx and return. My project is 25i Pal, my mxf media is ingested as 2:1. My question, what is the highest quality export codec/format I can use ?   I am using MC 5.

thanks from a newbie

iMac12,2 Intel Core i5 16 GB Ram MC 7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Thu, Aug 18 2011 11:50 AM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,173
    • Points 23,315

Re: best quality export for ftp

just export to a full rez quick time movie is your grahhix supplier giving you alpha files back or are they adding them to your files??

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Thu, Aug 18 2011 12:07 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,247
    • Points 15,780
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

I usually get a lot of arguments with this one.  Lots of folks ask me for "uncompressed QuickTimes".  But often the originals were shot on crappy HDV cameras; or the final product is only being seen on facebook or YouTube.

So 90-95%of the time, I just export a full QuickTime movie, Same As Source, Use Avid Codecs.  Then I tell the graphic designer to make sure he/she has the Avid codecs loaded.

Plus by using Same As Source, you'll be amazed how fast the export happens.  An hour of HD "uncompressed" sometimes takes 2-4 hours.  With Same As Source it's more like 7-10 minutes.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Thu, Aug 18 2011 3:40 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Not Ranked
    • london
    • Posts 10
    • Points 150

Thanks for your reply, am i right in thinking to export the best you can't get better than QT full res, I have to maintain highest quality. Most footage was shot on Digi Beta and mini dv, the end result is one film going to dvd and many strands for phone apps. My worry was just not compressing it too much as the file travels to graphics and back. Not sure why I would need the alpha channel separate.

• Thu, Aug 18 2011 4:42 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,247
    • Points 15,780
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

You're sort of right.  See, even "uncompressed" is technically compressed.  Apple ProRes, Avid DNxHD220x... these are all resolutions that keep imagery looking as stunning as possible -- meaning that there is no visible pixel junk on the screen.  But imagine what "uncompressed" meant to the editing world 15 years ago... and imagine what it'll mean 15 years from now.  We'll be using Avid DNxHD2175xx, and look back at 220x as crap.  Thus if the simple process of capturing places a compression on the footage, then of course you'll want to not inflict more compression on the export.

But if that's the case then why not always export uncompressed?  Because there is a certain visual point where you can't discern the difference bwtween two compressions - yet one of them took 6 times as long to make and takes up a ton more space on your hard drive.

So the quick answer (too late, I know) is to export in such a way that no compression is seen beyond the compression in your edit system... and hence, using Same As Source.

Clear as mud?

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Thu, Aug 18 2011 4:48 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Not Ranked
    • london
    • Posts 10
    • Points 150

no I get what you are saying, thanks for the advice

• Thu, Aug 18 2011 4:53 PM In reply to

Yup I'd go with Pixel Monkey.

There's no point in going for anything above the compression in your time line. 2:1

Expandingt he data up to uncompressed doesn't add any quality. It just makes a bigger file.

Arguably it may make compatability simpler but as you can download Avid codecs for mac or PC for free.

Then you may as well do same as source.

If they insist on uncompressed then suggest you also expand to 32 bit as well just to be sure it's as good as it can be.

In fact why not go the whole hog and move up to 50 fps :-)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller