Latest post Thu, Aug 4 2011 5:27 PM by camoscato. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 4 2011 2:50 PM

HP 8760w notebook, will it be eventually added to the supported system list? (Also a dilemma)

Hi,

Looking at the latest pdf of supported configurations, dating from May 9th of this year, I noticed that the highest professional HP notebook model that is supported is the 8740w.  

Although it looks like a powerful machine that can already be found at deal prices on eBay, I can't shake off the fact that the newest 8760w, with the latest generation of Intel processor and Nvidia video cards have been out for quite some time now (April or June if I'm correct).

Although, I understandably can't consider buying the 8760w if it is not yet on the official supported list, but will it ever be?  Are the supported configurations list only updated when a new version of Media Composer is out?  Or is this particular machine actually being tested by the Avid team?

On a closely related note, the reason why I want to change laptop is that I am now equipped with a (then) top of the line nw8440 that I bought especially to Run Media Composer (Then version 2.7).

I although recently made the switch to an Intel Solid State Drive, and thus also had to upgrade my machine to Windows 7 64 bits.  Everything is running fine, but now I am stuck with a technical dilemma:

1 - Media Composer 2.7 won't install on a 64 bit machine, but will accept my ATI FireGL V5200

2 - Media Composer 5.5 will install on a 64 machine, but won't support my ATI FireGL V5200

Thus, does that mean that I have no choice but to switch machine?  I can't go back to XP 32 Bits since it is not SSD-friendly, and I can't change my Video card since, wll, it's a laptop.

My only hope is that the ATI FireGL V5200, although not officially supported, might still work ibn Media Composer 5.5.

What do you think?

Thank you very much for your time!

Luc Desjardins

PS:  This is my first post on the, sorry if this question have been answer before, although I did not find so.

• Thu, Aug 4 2011 5:27 PM In reply to

Re: HP 8760w notebook, will it be eventually added to the supported system list? (Also a dilemma)

Hi Luc,

Luc Desjardins:
    This is my first post on the, sorry if this question have been answer before

It's not that the question has been answered before, but that there's a rule on the forum about speculation:

Do not speculate on Avid decisions or products that have not been released, issues with repair procedures, or Avid policies and procedures.

So we're not allowed to speculate about when/if they'll add a particular machine to the qualified systems list.

The parts of your post asking for advice about what system/components to get moving forward are fine.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller