Latest post Wed, Aug 3 2011 12:18 AM by Kenton.VanNatten. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 2 2011 10:20 PM

• Jarzz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 21 2011
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Installing AVID on a new system

Hey,

I just bought a new iMac and it arrived today.  I had been running Avid media composer academic version off my laptop for a few years and decided it was time for an upgrade.  I got an imac with i7 processor running mac os lion.  I try to install the AVID software and when it is complete it tells me it can't install and to call the software manufacteror. So I "called" Avid only to find out I have to pay to talk to a real person, which is one of the worst things I've ever heard of in customer support.  So I'm posting here to see if anyone can help me.  I've deactivated my old computer.  I also tried to copy my AVID files from what I had saved in Time Machine. That worked, but it wants me to activate it, but I can't and don't know why. Please help!

• Tue, Aug 2 2011 10:37 PM In reply to

Re: Installing AVID on a new system

Did you deactivate your license on the old computer? And be advised that Lion X is NOT yet qualified to run Media Composer. Avid is working on that with top priority, but there is no timetable as to when it will be qualified. MC 5.5.2 is qualified to run on 10.6.6 or 10.6.7. You can get older OSs here.

Edit: Sorry, that second link is for older versions of QT, not OSs. It appears you can download OS 10.6.7 from here.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Aug 2 2011 11:43 PM In reply to

• Jarzz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 21 2011
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Thanks Larry,

I did deactivate my old computer and am just sort of sitting in limbo now waiting for the AVID update I suppose. Thanks for the headsup, but how do I find out when the update comes out?

-Jeff

• Wed, Aug 3 2011 12:05 AM In reply to

There is no way to know precisely when Avid will qualify Lion X. I know that they are working on it with top priority and I WILL be informing the community as soon as it happens. Keep an eye on the not qualified thread I linked to - as well as posting a new thread announcing it, I will also post in that thread as well.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Aug 3 2011 12:18 AM In reply to

Jarzz:
    I "called" Avid only to find out I have to pay to talk to a real person, which is one of the worst things I've ever heard of in customer support.

A new purchase is entitled to a one-time support call.  At least for the retail version, maybe the Academic doesn't qualify?

But, I'm betting that the issue is the OS as you say it is a new iMac and I'm pretty sure the new iMac would have Lion installed.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller