Latest post Thu, Jul 28 2011 4:02 PM by Job ter Burg. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 27 2011 4:13 PM

Whats the max RAM

HI

Whats the max ram that MC will use. Ive noticed in peoples specs very different values. I have 4gig. Noticed that Pat Horridge has 12gig. Am I missing something.

Also does MC5 benefit from a quad core processor over say a dual. I think the term is "does it use hyperthreading" but I might be wrong on the terminology.

peter

Windows 7 Pro 64, Intel i7 3.4 ghz cpu, 32 GIG DDR3, MC 8.4.5 Pro Tools 10 & 11 [view my complete system specs]

Peter Groom

Dubbing Mixer

• Wed, Jul 27 2011 4:16 PM In reply to

Re: Whats the max RAM

Sorry

Just saw Randalls comment in another thread explaining that as MC is a 32 bit programme, it can only use 4 gigs.

Peter

Windows 7 Pro 64, Intel i7 3.4 ghz cpu, 32 GIG DDR3, MC 8.4.5 Pro Tools 10 & 11 [view my complete system specs]

Peter Groom

Dubbing Mixer

• Wed, Jul 27 2011 5:23 PM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

MC is still 32bit and can only use 4Gigs but with a 64bit OS the added RAM will benifiet the operation of additional programs and the 4gigs is not being divided between the OS and MC.  MC gets the benifiet of a full 4 gigs....

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 27 2011 7:55 PM In reply to

However to do so, it must be written to utilize more RAM and the CPU.

It's not enough to add RAM and a faster CPU.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(442.92)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2020.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Wed, Jul 27 2011 11:42 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,411
    • Points 97,300

Camilo:
    MC is still 32bit and can only use 4Gigs but with a 64bit OS the added RAM will benifiet the operation of additional programs and the 4gigs is not being divided between the OS and MC.  MC gets the benifiet of a full 4 gigs....
    George Angeludis:
    However to do so, it must be written to utilize more RAM and the CPU.
    Avid as a 32-bit program will access a full 4 GB of memory on a 64-bit system that has sufficient free memory.  It definitely does not need rewriting to do so.

And if like me, you use helper apps like Photoshop and AE simultaneously with MC, having a 64-bit system with 12 GB of memory is absolutely necessary.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 28 2011 10:55 AM In reply to

I think you are missing what happening in MC.

It never utilizes the RAM to its full potential.

And the CPU: lesser.

As it is now at renders it uses 35% at most cases (not all) of the CPU.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(442.92)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2020.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Thu, Jul 28 2011 11:04 AM In reply to

George Angeludis:

I think you are missing what happening in MC.

It never utilizes the RAM to its full potential.

Maybe, but bottom line is this:

Running MC under a 32-bit OS allows the application to use a maximum of ~2.7GB (no matter how much RAM you have installed).

Running MC under a 64-bit OS allows the application to use a maximum of 4.0GB (as long as you have 6GB of RAM or more installed)

The difference is 48%. That is very noticable on longform and/or complex sequences. It is the very reason I switched from XP32 to Vista64 (and now Win7-x64) quite some time ago. It made the difference between having to relaunch the Avid three times a day to clear memory and having a system that can run for days on end.

Renders may not use as much as the CPU power one would like, but for instance R3D over AMA does seem to make use of quite some CPU power.
    Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 28 2011 11:51 AM In reply to

• Radman
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • UK
    • Posts 911
    • Points 10,620

Job, you are quite correct.

Radman.

Win10 64Bit / HP Z800-XW8200 / 5x Quadro M6000. 48 Gig Ram / Cubix Expander 4 / 2x 32TB SAS JMR Raid unit / Avid Artist | Avid Artist DNxIO. 3x 27"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 28 2011 12:13 PM In reply to

Job,

we all went to 64bit for the same reason.

I am saying something completely different.

How much of the installed power of the CPU (that is the main disadvantage)

and RAM's MC utilizes.

Desktop PC

3 Heads Digital Films

• Thu, Jul 28 2011 12:37 PM In reply to

Peterdubbingmixer:

HI

Whats the max ram that MC will use. Ive noticed in peoples specs very different values. I have 4gig. Noticed that Pat Horridge has 12gig. Am I missing something.

Also does MC5 benefit from a quad core processor over say a dual. I think the term is "does it use hyperthreading" but I might be wrong on the terminology.

peter

For clarity the Symphony crate we use is also a DS dual boot and for uncompressed DS work in 64 bit Vista the 12GB is very handy. No real gain in Symphony in windows 7 64 but no harm either.

If only on the MC side and using a 64 bit OS for a current 32 bit App I suggest 6GB min 8GB ideally more if your rich and want to run multiple apps in parallel.

Re multicores and multithreading it's a gray area.

I'm not sure MC V5.5 is multprocessor (or cores) aware and just passes processing requests to th OS With hyper threading the OS will break those tasks up and share them between the cores and CPU available.

This can help improve performance but it's not as good as the application being multiprocessor aware and handling the task allocations.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jul 28 2011 1:43 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    No real gain in Symphony in windows 7 64
    Yes there is. Compared to running under a 32-bit OS, you gain 48% of available memory. See my earlier posting. This is from real life experience, not just theory.
    Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 28 2011 2:32 PM In reply to

• DFW Hokie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Plano, TX
    • Posts 272
    • Points 3,655

For anyone reading this thread hoping to get an idea of how much RAM to install in a Windows 7 64-bit PC for Media Composer, here's the summary:

Allocate 4GB solely for Media Composer. 
    Then, add whatever amount of RAM you need for the rest of your programs and your OS.

Example: 
    If your PC without Media Composer would be optimized with 8GB of RAM...build in 12GB with Media Composer.

• Thu, Jul 28 2011 3:39 PM In reply to

• testrachan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 28 2011
    • Posts 9
    • Points 105

That's a great summary, and cheers to everyone else. No idea why the hire company resist us wanting the best equipment available. Thank god for forums.

• Thu, Jul 28 2011 3:45 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    Pat Horridge:
    No real gain in Symphony in windows 7 64
    Yes there is. Compared to running under a 32-bit OS, you gain 48% of available memory. See my earlier posting. This is from real life experience, not just theory.

For long form complex sequences the extra memory will certainly ensure you run out of steam less quickly however our tests on less demanding projects found that the 32bit app under windows 7 64 was actually slower than it had been under windows XP SP3. I suspect Windows 7 has a higher overhead somewhere or th Avid software isn't working as well with the OS.

But for sure that extra RAM can help gain you time with those memory hungry sequences :-)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jul 28 2011 4:02 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    our tests on less demanding projects found that the 32bit app under windows 7 64 was actually slower than it had been under windows XP SP3
    Not sure, I never felt that much of a speed difference. Using 15k RPM drives or even SSD does make Win7 a lot faster, though. Many ways to speed things up.

Also: you can easily strip some of the fancy stuff from Win7. EdPrep can help with that.
    Pat Horridge:
    that extra RAM can help gain you time with those memory hungry sequences
    Not just that. Also the sheer amount of bins you can have open at any time.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller