Latest post Wed, Dec 14 2011 6:09 PM by Eweinhold. 69 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (70 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 22 2011 7:22 AM

• DSLRMAN
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 19 2011
    • USA
    • Posts 125
    • Points 1,795

Is Media Composer 5.5 Compatible with OSX Lion?

Hi guys,

Currently I'm running OSX Snow Leopard on my iMac Intel with Media Composer 5.5 and I wanted to know if it's safe to upgrade to OSX Lion?

Please reply back soon,

Thanks,

Hardware: Mac Pro 8 Core, 24GB RAM, 4TB HD, Dual 24" Monitors - iMac 24" 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Software: Avid Media Composer 7 - Final Cut... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 22 2011 7:49 AM In reply to

• Andrew McKee
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 27 2011
    • Manchester, UK
    • Posts 123
    • Points 1,475
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Re: Is Media Composer 5.5 Compatible with OSX Lion?

Nope. Not yet. Will take a few months.

iMac 3.4Ghz i7 16GB Ram 10.8.0, MBP 3.06Ghz Core 2 Duo 8GB Ram 10.8.0 [view my complete system specs]

Andrew McKee

Editor/Colourist

Avid Certified Instructor - MC6

Apple Certified Trainer - FCPX

• Sat, Jul 23 2011 12:47 AM In reply to

• eddit13
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2009
    • NYC
    • Posts 18
    • Points 270

Has anyone attempted to upgrade? Any issues? I'm aware Lion 10.7 is not supported but I upgraded to Snow Leopard before it was supported with pretty decent results. My only problem was with AudioSuite, a plugin.

I checked Adobe's FAQ regarding their products here: http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq.html#lion-os

My main concern was with regard to PS, Illustrator and AE. Seems safe. Photoshop has the only major bug with the droplets and you have to install Java manually. That's easy enough. 

I may backup my disk and give it a run. Pass on any other testimonies if you find them. 

iMac 27", 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, OS X 10.9.5, MC 8.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 23 2011 1:11 AM In reply to

Before you take the plunge into Lion X, be sure to see this related thread.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jul 23 2011 8:12 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,130
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

A couple of posters upgraded without checking whether Lion is supported or not.  They confirmed why it's not supported.  Everything seems to work until you hit the play button and then nothing happens.  And other maladies...

Here: http://community.avid.com/forums/p/98910/569059.aspx#569059

And here: http://community.avid.com/forums/p/97592/561296.aspx#561296

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sun, Jul 24 2011 12:46 AM In reply to

Hey guys, 

I'm glad I found this thread. I was experiencing the "play button" issue and started wondering if it was a transcoding or format issue. Anyway, I'm still learning MC and was looking forward to getting into the "meat" of video editing. 

Anyone know if we'll have an update/fix soon? How long does Avid usually take to fix something like this? 

Thanks!

• Sun, Jul 24 2011 1:04 AM In reply to

Colonel:

As they always do, Avid is diligently working to qualify OS Lion X. Their track record qualifying new OSs on both the PC and Mac side is a straight A report card on every occasion over many, many years. Please be patient. I promise you that as soon as OS Lion X gets qualified, I or another moderator will make an announcement to the Community.

For the latest, please see this thread.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jul 24 2011 3:46 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,130
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Note that the straight A is based on turning in your final exam whenever you get it done, like a PhD who's completed everything but the dissertation.  It will happen sometime, but it will take some time.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sun, Jul 24 2011 3:53 AM In reply to

hbrock:
    Note that the straight A is based on turning in your final exam whenever you get it done, like a PhD who's completed everything but the dissertation.

My point is that Avid has risen to the challenge every single time a new OS has come along, both for PC and Mac, and has never failed to qualify any of them for Media Composer. I see no reason why that would change with Lion.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jul 24 2011 4:13 AM In reply to

Larry, 

I should've clarified. I didn't mean if they would update MC to work with Lion, but if anyone knew about how long it would take. Although I haven't worked with Avid products as long as I can say I've worked with Apple products, I still have an innate trust for Avid. When you work with clients as big as Avid does, you really take a lot of precautions to avoid problems, etc. And that to me is very reassuring and also means Avid's quality is amongst the highest in the video industry. 

Nevertheless, I knew I couldn't get specifics for when an update would be released. I was hoping for a ballpark answer though based on previous Mac OS update times, etc. if that was possible. 

• Sun, Jul 24 2011 3:40 PM In reply to

Can't say for sure how long it takes, because they must do some very extensive testing, experimenting and problem solving as issues arise. But if the past patterns are any indication, it's usually 60 to 90 days after the release of the official version, not the betas. So we'll just have to wait and see. Sorry I can't be more specific than that, but that's the situation.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jul 24 2011 11:22 PM In reply to

• Oscarstein
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 27 2011
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

Hey Evrybody!!

i know some people have been asking about MC5 working with Lion, well after my psychiatrist told me to take some risks in life, I installed Lion on my MAC, and SURPISE!!! it doesnt work... it boots up and all, you can make edits but as soon as you click that play button or hit the spacebar on the timeline the whole programi will freeze, so... if you are like me (depending on avid for my business..) then don't do it, if you want to take chances like me then let figure this out and make it work.

• Sun, Jul 24 2011 11:46 PM In reply to

Hello Oscar, and welcome to the Forum! Thanks for your post and your honesty about the results. If you do experiment more and have any progress, please report back here. The Avid engineering group would be very grateful for such information.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jul 25 2011 2:02 AM In reply to

• sam the sham
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Apple Valley, Ca
    • Posts 924
    • Points 11,790

Larry, not you, but why is everyone so excited about Lion? I keep reading but fail to see anything that excites me, am I just not tech savvy enough.

Once AVID approves it, what will be the advantage for MC users, will I be more productive or will I just end up with arthritis in my fingers from all the Multi-Touch gestures Big Smile

MC 6.0.3.1 thank you very much, FCP X v.10.2.3, MAC Pro, 2 @ Intel Quad-Core Xeon 2.4 GHz,(Westmere),12gb 1066mhz DDR3 ram, ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB. 3@ 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 25 2011 2:26 AM In reply to

• Oscarstein
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 27 2011
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

good afternoon all,

Ok so I Uninstalled MC5 (5.5.2) and reinstalled it again, no luck, clips play fine, it imports, exports, but the timeline won't play it keeps freezing.

Oscar Garcia

Los Angeles Film School

2.53 GHz Intel Core i5

8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB

Mac OS X Lion 10.7 (11A511)

Page 1 of 5 (70 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller