Latest post Sun, Sep 25 2011 7:22 AM by hbrock. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 13 2011 9:04 PM

• Mediaformae
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 20 2009
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Lion, Blu-ray & Sony NXCAM native support without importing

Hello!

I've seached the forum before this posting, without finding anything that would help me.

For a while there's been a new standard format called NXCAM, which is basically Sony's implementation of the AVCHD codec. There are other brands that are investing in this codec. The bumber of cameras with this recording format / codec is increasing very fast. Now there's a new player in town - Sony's latest 35mm NXCAM NEX-FS100, the 7th model of the Sony's AVCHD family.

I wonder why Avid hasn't produce or include a third-party Blu-ray Disc authoring software, Mac native. The fact that Avid DVD by Sonic can be used through virtualization is no reason. Being native is being faster. There are no workarounds on this. And I definitely do not wish to buy an OS that's more expensive than Avid's Production Suite. I understood (or not) that DVD Studio Pro might be a factor in this, which ins't the case right now.

I'm considering to upgrade my system. I'll Wait for Avid's Lion's OK, which doesn't worry me at all. I know it will come.

I don't know if Avid intends to release a major upgrade - MC6 - or simply a minor update for Lion support - MC5.5.x.

Which ever might be the case, 3 questions.

1. In his future Lion support will MC still be backward compatible with the present Snow Leopard?

2. How long will Avid users have to wait to have their NXCAM / AVCHD cameras natively supported by MC, since these cameras have already been chosen by many professionals for being cost-effective and good image quality? - This one, I don't know if will come...

3. When will Avid users be able to produce professional Blu-ray Discs natively on Mac - seamlessly, faster and cheaper? - Neither this one...

For yours and Avid's consideration for a future release.

Thank you all, as always.

Mac OS 10.6.8 Media Composer Software 4.0.5 iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz / 4GB RAM / 250 HDD internal system drive / LaCie 1TB HDD external media drive... [view my complete system specs]

Miguel Cunha

Mediaformae

www.linkedin.com/in/mediaformae

• Thu, Jul 14 2011 2:52 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,682
    • Points 224,120
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Lion, Blu-ray & Sony NXCAM native support without importing

Hi there....

I'll try to answer as best I can but note that you are asking aobut futures and I cnat give you definative info.

Answers to your 3 questions......

1. In his future Lion support will MC still be backward compatible with the present Snow Leopard?

Avid expects to support Lion in a future release but we do not recommend that anyone install or use any version of the Mac OS past 10.6.7 at this time.  Once we approve OS versions, we post that information to the KNowledge Base and notify the moderators so they can alert the community.

2. How long will Avid users have to wait to have their NXCAM / AVCHD cameras natively supported by MC, since these cameras have already been chosen by many professionals for being cost-effective and good image quality? - This one, I don't know if will come...

NXCAM is AVCHD and we expect to support this iin a future version with the AMA AVCHD plug-in.  Not timeframe for support has been announced.

3. When will Avid users be able to produce professional Blu-ray Discs natively on Mac - seamlessly, faster and cheaper? - Neither this one...

Customers can use several 3rd party applications to burn to DVD on the Mac.   Roxio Toast (which is part of Sonic) is an excellent program that will allow for basic authoring of SD and BluRay DVDs. DVDSP and iDVD can't author BluRay DVDs.  TAW4 is also a good option as well.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Sep 21 2011 9:08 AM In reply to

• Mediaformae
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 20 2009
    • Braga, Portugal
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Hello Marianna!

My apologies for my very late reply.

Excelent news you give me!

Great the intention do support AVCHD. What I meant abou NXCAM is that it's Sony's AVCHD implementation, as far as I know, sorry for the confusion.

About authoring, I own Toast, but it stil doesn't give me the custumization I really need. TAW4 neither, but thanks for the tip.

About Lion, I've seen your post where you state that MC 5.5.3 supports Lion with local storage which is what I intend to use. So can I download a demo and give it a try. Brilliant!

Greatest regards,

Miguel

Mac OS 10.6.8 Media Composer Software 4.0.5 iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz / 4GB RAM / 250 HDD internal system drive / LaCie 1TB HDD external media drive... [view my complete system specs]

Miguel Cunha

Mediaformae

www.linkedin.com/in/mediaformae

• Sun, Sep 25 2011 2:14 AM In reply to

TMAW4 is Windows only, and therefore not useable.

• Sun, Sep 25 2011 7:22 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,130
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Adobe Encore will author Blu-Ray disks.  Compressor can also make Blu-Ray disks but the main menu is very basic with just a play button and the title.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller