Latest post Thu, Jul 14 2011 6:27 PM by Randall L. Rike. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 13 2011 7:06 PM

• avidgrl10
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 21 2010
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

PC Won't Recognize More than One Firewire at a Time

Hi everyone,

I edit with Avid 4.0.5 on Window's Vista and though my computer has four firewire (4 pin) ports, it will only recognize one drive at a time.  There was a time it would recognize three, then went down to two.  I was able to adjust to only having two drives but today it went down to one and I am unable to adjust to this workflow because i have media on multiple drives.  I've restarted/shutdown countless times, I've tried plugging in each drive in every order possible but nothing works.  Any ideas on how to address this issue?

Thanks!

• Wed, Jul 13 2011 7:19 PM In reply to

Re: PC Won't Recognize More than One Firewire at a Time

It should work.  Heck, all the advertising says FW is Plug-N-Play easy.  LOL.  In reality, FW sucks.  I fought with it for years, and eventually gave up.

When you add each drive, check the drive letter assigned, and make sure they are all unique.  You can re-assign the drive letters in Disk Management, if necessary

Otherwise, have you tried daisy-chaining the drives?  Or, rebooting without the drives, then adding them sequentially?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Jul 13 2011 7:33 PM In reply to

• avidgrl10
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

Ha!  Yeah, daisy chaining doesn't work and I've tried hooking them up sequentially too.  The letter assignment is supposed to be the next available one, but I just tried assigning them a specific letter each time and that still doesn't work!  For a split second I will see both on the computer but a moment later, the first one I added goes away!  GRRR!

• Thu, Jul 14 2011 4:11 AM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Chicago
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,515

Unfortunately this advice may not provide a quick fix for you, but I would highly suggest transitioning to using eSATA instead of Firewire. I switched to eSATA over a year ago and never looked back. eSATA is fast, stable and reliably mounts every time; something Firewire drives never seemed to provide. I was even able to crack open all my Firewire drive enclosures and yank the drives out, complete with all my media, and start using them immediately (and pain-free) in an eSATA dock. These docks usually also have USB and/or Firewire connections on them, so you can travel with them and guantee they'll work on any computer you need them to.

Many PCs already have eSATA ports, which would obviously make for an easier transition. But if not then you'd have to add-in a desktop or laptop card. SATA won't daisy chain though, so you either have to add more ports (with more add-on cards) or get a SATA hub, or at least find a SATA dock with dual docks to run two drives simultaneously. From now on, you'll also be buying "raw" unenclosed drives, so you'll save a lot of cash in the long run too. 1 TB is about $60 for a respectable brand.

Hope that helps,

wayne

Self-built -- Always current MC version with AJA KONA 1 card OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, System: X99 Motherboard, Core i7-6850K, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 14 2011 5:44 AM In reply to

eSata is indeed a much better solution and moving to it won't cost you a fortune.

If you want to stay with firewire I would start checking what the device manager is saying. Do you see all the drives there?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Jul 14 2011 12:40 PM In reply to

• avidgrl10
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

Yes all the drives are there individually in disk manager...you will even see both drives at once for a second until one goes away.  I know eSATA is a great alternative, but when all your media is on this drive and you can't plug in two drives to move it (there is no room locally), it makes it a little harder!

• Thu, Jul 14 2011 1:31 PM In reply to

I guess you have a drive letter conflict then. Have you tried to manually change the drive letter?

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Jul 14 2011 1:40 PM In reply to

• avidgrl10
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

No conflict, assigned each drive an individual letter, but for some reason Vista doesn't care...even our IT department has no clue what's going on.

• Thu, Jul 14 2011 5:05 PM In reply to

• wkumingo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Chicago
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,515

Are your drives exclusively Firewire? You *should* be able to edit using USB if they will mount that way. Perhaps try mounting one Firewire and one (or more) using USB? USB might be slower though, so it may not work seamlessly depending on what resolution your footage is in.

A few other things to try: Disconnect any older Adrenaline or Mojo Firewire devices if you've got any. They need a bus to themselves and could cause a conflict. You can also open device manager and try manually switching your current 1394 driver to the "legacy" driver. And try switching Firewire cables. I've had more of them fail than I'd care to mention.

Also, to clarify, you would be able to use eSATA to copy since one drive would be connected to Firewire, the other to the eSATA port. If you have an existing eSATA port right now, again I'd highly suggest buying a $40 SATA dock, taking a screwdriver to your existing Firewire enclosures and yanking the bare dirve out to pop in the dock. You'd be editing again in minutes (well, ok, an hour tops). ;)

Win 7 made Firewire support a little better, but you are reminding me of all of my Firewire headaches before I made the switch. If you'd like links to specific eSATA products I'd be happy to share.

Self-built -- Always current MC version with AJA KONA 1 card OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, System: X99 Motherboard, Core i7-6850K, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB RAM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 14 2011 5:57 PM In reply to

• avidgrl10
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105

Thanks!  I'm using USB for the time being...someone mentioned that I should look into buying an external firewire hub or eSata hub because they think that it might be draining power from the motherboard.  I'm going to try that and cross my fingers!  Thanks for everyone's help!

• Thu, Jul 14 2011 6:27 PM In reply to

"... it might be draining power from the motherboard ..."

If the FW drives are "powered", there's no drain on the MoBo.  Meanwhile, FW hubs are iffy at best. 

If the drives don't need to be portable, you migh consider adding some internsl SATA II's to your system.  This was my stop-gap solution befofre I added RAID-5 SAS Storage, which has totally rocked.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller