Latest post Wed, Jul 20 2011 5:14 PM by Lateguy. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 12 2011 7:38 PM

• johnwnyc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 5 2010
    • Posts 10
    • Points 150

Quicktime Reference - all media transcoded but still getting "no can do, AMA linked" error!

I have a very simple sequence of about a dozen clips. The sequence is a minute and a half long.

The clips originated as CANON MXF files shot on a Canon XF100 camera. I used AMA to link the clips and make selects in a sequence, and then I transcoded this sequence. For good measure, I double checked by looking at Media Relatives for this sequence. I checked every clip to make sure that it was pointing to the DNxHD 115 transcoded media on my drive. No problem.

Still, when I try to export a Quicktime Reference movie an error is returned notifying me that the export could not be completed because there is AMA-linked media.

This is clearly a bug. Is there a workaround? 

For gosh sakes -- c'mon AVID: I know that the "real" (wink, wink) purpose of AMA is to view, log, and capture your footage. You should not "edit" with AMA unless you look the other way. But seriously -- you want me to create multi-GB files every time I want to do an output to share with others for review?

I'm on 5.0.3.8 Media Composer on OS 10.6.7.

Media Composer (software) 5.0.3.8 OS 10.6.7, 2.66GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4870 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Wed, Jul 13 2011 1:53 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,110
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Quicktime Reference - all media transcoded but still getting "no can do, AMA linked" error!

And you're exporting the transcoded sequence not the original AMA sequence?  No other audio or video sources that are not Avid media?  Just need to know for sure.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Wed, Jul 13 2011 2:04 AM In reply to

Re: Quicktime Reference - all media transcoded but still getting "no can do, AMA linked" error!

I would do an audio and video mixdown as I would guess that there are one or more effect renders still in your sequence that originally referenced non trancoded media.

Have you tried a QT reference without audio? With audio but no video? (to identify if the problem is audio or video clip related)

• Wed, Jul 13 2011 4:22 AM In reply to

• johnwnyc
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 150

Yes. I'm trying to export the transcoded sequence. 

Nothing fancy here. There are literally 12 cuts in the whole thing. Camera audio only. There are a few color corrects applied to the transcoded sequence but all effects are rendered.

Media Composer (software) 5.0.3.8 OS 10.6.7, 2.66GHz Quad-Core Xeon, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4870 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 13 2011 5:08 AM In reply to

johnwnyc:
    I'm trying to export the transcoded sequence.
    I have never had a problem exporting a QT reference using mixdowns.

If getting it out is the priority then I would do an Audio and Video mixdown (using an Avid codec) of the entire sequence (both options found under the Special drop down menu) Then edit both the mixdowns into a new sequence and export that.

Mixdowns are quick and easy. You can just delete them later when you want to recover your disk space.

• Wed, Jul 13 2011 5:18 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,345

AndrewAction:

johnwnyc:
    I'm trying to export the transcoded sequence.
    I have never had a problem exporting a QT reference using mixdowns.

If getting it out is the priority then I would do an Audio and Video mixdown (using an Avid codec) of the entire sequence (both options found under the Special drop down menu) Then edit both the mixdowns into a new sequence and export that.

Mixdowns are quick and easy. You can just delete them later when you want to recover your disk space.

I agree totally and as you are telling this

The sequence is a minute and a half long.

the entire op should take less than 5 minutes and I don´t think that your discs will be to filled up of it

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jul 13 2011 7:14 AM In reply to

Copy the sequence to a fresh new bin.

Set the bin display to show reference clips and that will show all the clips used by the sequence. Any AMA ones will be shown in yellow.

Now open media tool and choose all drives and current project and then just precomputes.

Leave Media tool open and to one side with nothing selected and go back to the sequence in the new bin. Highlight the sequence and then from the fast menu chose show media relatives. Look for items highlighted in the Media tool as precomputes. These are the renders related to that sequence. Delete them and re-render the sequence. And the see if the QT ref works.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jul 13 2011 7:48 AM In reply to

• jakeheat
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 3 2006
    • London
    • Posts 498
    • Points 6,000

This happens to me a lot. The only solution is the one Pat describes. I would be nice if Media Composer gave you to option to consolidate all AMA (or non Avid Res.) Clips in a Sequence.
    Media Composer 2019.8.0 MacPro 6 core - 64 GB RAM - OS:10.14.6 3.33Ghz iMacs, Macbook Pros. BM UltraStudio 4K Extreme v11.3 After Effects, etc [view my complete system specs]

@jaketheeditor 

• Wed, Jul 13 2011 6:57 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

Copy the sequence to a fresh new bin.

Set the bin display to show reference clips and that will show all the clips used by the sequence. Any AMA ones will be shown in yellow.

Now open media tool and choose all drives and current project and then just precomputes.

Leave Media tool open and to one side with nothing selected and go back to the sequence in the new bin. Highlight the sequence and then from the fast menu chose show media relatives. Look for items highlighted in the Media tool as precomputes. These are the renders related to that sequence. Delete them and re-render the sequence. And the see if the QT ref works.

This works and is probably politically correct. Note however that the original sequence in this case is transcoded and rendered  so the mixdowns would take absolutely minimal time to create. Therefore I would suggest that in a 10th of the time it takes to follow this proceedure you could have created a new sequence with video and audio mixdowns and exported a working QT reference.

• Thu, Jul 14 2011 2:47 PM In reply to

• johnwnyc
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 150

Thanks everyone for your feedback and help. In the end there was a shortest snippet of audio that was still indeed AMA-linked. How that happened is anyone's guess -- probably human error, although all I did was simply transcode the sequence. Or so I thought. Fat fingers or Avid gremlin? I might never know.

• Wed, Jul 20 2011 5:14 PM In reply to

• Lateguy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Fredericksburg, VA
    • Posts 58
    • Points 770

I remember back in the day prior to MC 5.5 when you could QT ref AMA sequences.  Good times, yep. Good times.

Media Composer v8.6.1 Mac Pro OS X 10.12.4 Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz Number Of Processors: 2 Total Number... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller