Latest post Fri, Dec 9 2011 5:05 PM by stuartbruce. 325 replies.
Page 19 of 22 (326 items) « First ... < Previous 17 18 19 20 21 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 17 2011 6:04 PM In reply to

• sealke
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 25 2007
    • Posts 38
    • Points 450

Re: What new features do you want in MC 6?

I didn´t read the whole thread, so it is possible that i repeat something someone already said.

But i really really really would like to

1. match back to precomputed files.

It is a pain if you open an old project and you have only the sequence bin open, to find the imported graphics to batch import them.

Also i miss the

2. start and end keyframes in effects. And i always wondered why

3. border is always on by default in the 3D warp. That should be fixed.

In the media tool it would be nice to

4. sort out the rendered precomputed (dissolves etc) from the imported precomputed (matte key for graphics). Because if i want to archive a project and want to keep all the imported media online but want to delete the rendered effects i have to go through all the precomputed one by one. I would like to custom sift the effects and delete all.

There is a lot more that i just can´t think of right now.

Mac Book Pro Retina, 2,3GHz, 16GB, OSX 10.9.5, MC 8.6.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 17 2011 9:18 PM In reply to

• Solopost
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • California
    • Posts 1,566
    • Points 18,050

jupiter_rings:
    i don't want to discard my perfectly working 8800gt.

Big Smile

Do you own Avid now? If so, what are your present system specifications? And, I believe, there are many users who are running Avid on the 8800gt board - try doing a search. These users are those who have worked on their setup and are comfortable tinkering with the system settings.

Just because Avid says what their recommendations are - does not always mean it won't work. It just means they have not tested those boards in those configurations (and probably won't). But if you feel comfortable enough - you do whatever you want with your system.. try looking through the 'show of your system' thread. This will list many different configurations, some approved (tested) and some unapproved.

SYS# 1- MC6.5 Mac Pro 2xQuad-Core Intel 3.2Ghz 18Gb Ram OS 10.7.5 2Tb storage (mixed SATA/1394/1394b) SYS# 2- MC6.5 Macbook Pro 2.8Ghz (mid-2009) 4Gb... [view my complete system specs]

My Two Cents .02
    Kent Brockman

• Thu, Aug 18 2011 8:08 AM In reply to

I've got another request: the ability to detach tabs from the Project Window. As it is right now, the Project Window has too much functionality, so I find myself having to change tabs a lot. At the very least "Bins" should be able to exist as its own window.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Thu, Aug 18 2011 8:20 AM In reply to

What tabs are you switching to, if I may ask?
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 18 2011 8:33 AM In reply to

Sure, Settings and Bins mostly, and sometimes Format.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Thu, Aug 18 2011 9:58 AM In reply to

But which ones would you always need to be open then? Just bins, no? The others are hardly windows you need to clog your screen, right? I'm just not sure how you'd like to have it...
    Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Aug 18 2011 10:03 AM In reply to

• goncalo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 75

Hi all

Honestly don't know if it was already mentioned before but a great new feature for the MC6 or previous MC5.5.x (x>3) would be the Multithread Processing for all the Effects :-) mainly for the FluidMotion ones.

Best reagards

Gonçalo Fernadnes

• Thu, Aug 18 2011 9:13 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    But which ones would you always need to be open then? Just bins, no? The others are hardly windows you need to clog your screen, right? I'm just not sure how you'd like to have it...

Job,

I'd like to have the option of having Settings and Bins open as separate windows. Even at this late stage of my Avid education, I still find myself using the Settings tab quite often. And of course I use Bins all the time.

Maybe other people don't find it as bothersome, but having so much functionality built into one window seems to be throw back to when monitors were single, small and expensive. I'd like to be able to split some of that functionality across a few windows.

• Thu, Aug 18 2011 10:38 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,372
    • Points 96,860

One of the things that I find interesting about this thread is the sheer number of different ways of working with Avid it demonstrates.  I personally couldn't care less if Settings was only available as part of the Tools menu!

That said, I think BMF's suggestion is a good one.  I'd even extend it - anything with a tab should be tear off-able.  In fact, tabs should also be part of the source monitor, too, with the same tear off functionality.

Imagine multiple source monitors as you can with Lightworks.  (Yes, I know that you can do it at the moment, but I think tabs would make it simpler).

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 19 2011 7:15 AM In reply to

Funny. Sort of the reverse of Superbin. But I admit that I start to get what BMF and jwrl are aiming for. Real estate customizability. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Fri, Aug 19 2011 8:05 AM In reply to

jwrl:
    I personally couldn't care less if Settings was only available as part of the Tools menu!

Right. I mean the Effect Palette is available in standalone view via the Tools menu, so why not Bins and Settings as well?

BTW, I do very much like the idea of being able to tear-off any tab or window. I'd also like to be able to resize them as big as I want, esp. those in the CC Toolset.

• Sun, Aug 21 2011 2:59 AM In reply to

• funckdren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 440
    • Points 5,905

More flexible mapping of modifier keys.

If Avid is going to change funtion of Control key and Option key, etc., at least give us the option to change it back. Customizing has always been Avid's strength, but MC5 left me hamstrung.

Mac Pro Westmere 12-Core 3.46GHz, Media Composer 8.6.4, Mac OS 10.11.5, 64GB RAM, Mojo DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 21 2011 11:07 AM In reply to

• Glans
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 639
    • Points 9,815

I want everything they said to be done during the seminar in Burbank, great stuff.

As for details I would like a much better interface for working with effects. It looks like crap, makes it more complicated then let's say working with effects in AE and it's not as precise as it could be. Masking or animating something should be fluid and responsive and you should be able to do it on a full screen image of the footage, not the little sequence monitor over your timeline.

And of course...  a fully professional grading system with everything needed, lift gamma gain, power masks, secondaries you name it. With GPU accelaration and a responsive feel that makes you see the changes you make in real time rather then guessing. Precise, fine tuned settings for everything. Every other editing application has somewhat of a good grading option...  why stop there? Make a professional grade inside MC with everything a professional colorist would need. 

Because so much need to be made fast today and the more you can do while editing so that you can change the edit and the grade at the same time will create a much better workflow.

* Intel core i7 (3,7 Ghz), 16gb RAM, GeForce GTX 580 3gb - workstation. * Macbook Pro Retina 15 (late 2013) 16gb Ram - Laptop * DeckLink Extreme3D with... [view my complete system specs]

64 bit, GPU acceleration, better AMA, better exports with GPU acceleration, better grading with true secondary and lift gamma gain, higher resolutions (4K, 5K etc.) and a video stream online (for directors being far away on the phone or skype).

That would blow ANY competition away and it will be future-proof MC for a long time.

• Sun, Aug 21 2011 11:51 AM In reply to

Hi,

Glans:
    Masking or animating something should be fluid and responsive and you should be able to do it on a full screen image of the footage, not the little sequence monitor over your timeline.

Just in case you weren't aware of it, if you ALT+click to enter Effects Mode, you get a larger monitor to work with.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2018.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Aug 22 2011 9:24 AM In reply to

• Schaumburg
    • Not Ranked
    • Denmark
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

I would really like.

1. Support for MC Color in the Grademodule.

2. Cutdetection. When you get a program master that has been recorded as 1 stream. It would be awsome if you didnt have to add the "Add edit's" manually to colorgrade it.

3. The ability to add LUT to quicktime. LIke the LogC LUT for Arri Alexa h.264.

4. The posibility to Remove the Smart Tool

Cheers

Jakob

edithouse.dk - avid - nucoda - resolve - smoke [view my complete system specs]
Page 19 of 22 (326 items) « First ... < Previous 17 18 19 20 21 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller