Latest post Mon, Jul 11 2011 5:26 AM by Euchrow. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 10 2011 8:30 PM

• CyberCat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 27 2007
    • Posts 91
    • Points 1,325

Best Method to Close Gap?

Hopefully simple question, what's the quickest way to quickly close a gap as show below? I've always lassoed the entire downstream sequence and slided it into the space but I'm sure there's an easier method...

• Sun, Jul 10 2011 8:33 PM In reply to

Re: Best Method to Close Gap?

Select one of the tracks, V1, A1, or A2.  Place the cursdor in the blank area on one of those tracks. Press "T" (Mark Clip).  Press "X" (Extract).

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Jul 10 2011 8:34 PM In reply to

Mark I and O around the gap and cut  (X)

• Sun, Jul 10 2011 8:41 PM In reply to

• CyberCat
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 91
    • Points 1,325

Perfect, thanks guys! Can't believe I never realized you have to set in and out points to use lift and extract. I was thinking you just selected with the segment/overwrite tool, no wonder it never worked for me.

• Sun, Jul 10 2011 8:41 PM In reply to

Randall L Rike:

Select one of the tracks, V1, A1, or A2.  Press "T" (Mark Track).  Press "X" (Extract).

BUT BEFORE YOU PRESS EXTRACT, if you have clips on the other tracks besides V1, A1 and A2 that are later in the timeline, be sure to select all tracks before pressing "X" to keep everything else in sync down the road.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jul 10 2011 8:44 PM In reply to

• CyberCat
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 91
    • Points 1,325

Larry Rubin:
    BUT BEFORE YOU PRESS EXTRACT, if you have clips on the other tracks besides V1, A1 and A2 that are later in the timeline, be sure to select all tracks before pressing "X" to keep everything else in sync down the road.

So does the sync button basically do the same thing as what you've described? I never fully understood how it works, nor what its actual name is. 

• Sun, Jul 10 2011 8:53 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin:
    be sure to select all tracks before pressing "X"
    FWIW with a real multi track timeline I use Ctrl/Shift A to deselect all tracks, 8 to select V1, T to mark, Ctrl A to select all tracks then X. (I do not edit with sync locks)

• Sun, Jul 10 2011 8:55 PM In reply to

Yes it will, as long as the sync locks are on. But if they're off when performing this function, you MUST select all tracks before the extraction, or things will go out of sync downstream. I personally do not work with sync locks on because they interfere with my ability to deliberately slip sync audio against it's related video in instances where the original clip's lip sync audio is off and needs adjustment. I run into this situation all too many times.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Jul 10 2011 9:33 PM In reply to

• edi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 51
    • Points 610

Hey CyberCat

There's even an easyer and faster way -

Look for Slip right and Slip left in the command pallete. 

I beleive one of them is automaticlly mapped to the "U" key in the default keyboard mapping.

what it does, is close the gap from where you stand with the blue line, to the closest cut in the marked channels.

Slip right - closes the gap forward. Slip left - closes the gap backwords.

As I said - it's to the next cut in the marked channels of the timeline.

I'm sorry for not attaching any screen capture. I'm writing from the top of my head, otherwise I'm affraid I'll forget.

If you can't find it, you can Email me and I'll help you out privatly.

Cheers

Edi

Dell Inspiron 5110 Intel i7-2630QM 2.0, 8 GB ram, Nvidia Geforce GT 525m, Win7 Premium 64 bit, MC 5.5.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jul 10 2011 11:16 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,393
    • Points 97,070

Quickest way: position your cursor anywhere in the gap.  Ctrl-A, Alt-T, X.  Done.

Expanding on that, Ctrl-A turns on all tracks in the timeline.  Alt-T places an In mark at the start of the gap and an Out mark at the end.  Finally, X deletes the gap and closes up the timeline.  Everything stays in sync whether you have sync enabled or no.

[EDIT] -and like Larry, I don't use sync locks either, and for exactly the same reason.  Sync locks can actually make sync issues worse if you're not careful. [END EDIT]

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 11 2011 1:53 AM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,320
    • Points 17,065

"Top" and "Tail" will do it too with a single keystroke, assuming you've put your locator at the last or first frame of the gap respectively. I always DO use the sync locks, so there's never a mistake, and I use asynchronous trim rollers for the times when I want to put something out of synch or do an L cut, etc. Many ways to skin a cat with Avid.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.13.6, MC 2018.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 11 2011 3:42 AM In reply to

• CyberCat
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 91
    • Points 1,325

Thanks for all the tips guys, appreciate it!

• Mon, Jul 11 2011 4:38 AM In reply to

How I work on that:

Drag to select the gap.

Hit T.

Hit X.

Desktop PC

Corsair RM750X|Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)|i7 2600K@4.4|Corsair 32G DDR3|PNY Quadro P2000(411.95)|Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB|2x1TB Crucial MX500@RAID 0|2x500GB Mushkin SSD@RAID 0|LG BH16NS40|W10 Pro 64bit|Media Composer Software 2019.6 with Symphony Option on Dongle|2xHP 22'' Monitors|M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Mon, Jul 11 2011 5:26 AM In reply to

• Euchrow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 15 2006
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,530

Larry Rubin:
    I personally do not work with sync locks on because they interfere with my ability to deliberately slip sync audio against it's related video in instances where the original clip's lip sync audio is off and needs adjustment. I run into this situation all too many times.

Hey Larry,

Maybe you're not aware that you can slip a shot by using the trim buttons ( << < > >>) without entering trim mode. Just deselect the video track, park your playhead on the audio you want to slip and hit the buttons. This way you can leave the sync locks enabled all the time. I personally couldn't live without them. When I edit feature films it's fantastic to be able to trim without needing to worry about the thousands of cuts (6 videotracks, 16 audiotracks) down the timeline . I just keep the bottom two audio tracks unlocked (A15 and A16 in my case), and that's where I temporarely put the music when I need to trim a sequence with music.

Shortcut: hit the synclock button next to the TC track. This instantly enables synclocks on all the tracks

And disable the 'Segment Drag Sync Lock' setting under Timeline Settings . I rarely need this and it can really mess things up

Alain

Symphony 2019.6 on Mac Pro Westmere 3.33Ghz 6 core, 48Gb Ram, Nvidia GTX 980, High Sierra 10.13.6, BMD Ultra Monitor 2019.6 on MacBook Pro Retina 2018... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller