Latest post Thu, Jul 21 2011 8:22 AM by KaiBanzai. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 6 2011 12:49 PM

• KaiBanzai
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 18 2010
    • Posts 24
    • Points 290

Blackmagic Ultrascope & Timecode

Hello,

I've got the Blackmagic UltraScope here. When connected to a Digi-Beta via SDI it shows the timecode of the tape. As I've heard the VITC is embedded in SDI.

BUT: When I connect our Nitris or our Mojo SDI to it, I see no timecode. I'd like to see the timecode of my sequence in the UltraScope (e.g. for error logging it would be useful). Doesn't Avid hardware embed the timecode in SDI? Is there a setting to be changed?

Thanks,

Kai

Avid MC 6, Win7 professionel 64 bit, HP Z400, i7, 12GB, Decklink HD extreme 3D, Quadro FX 3800, GeForce GTX 680 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 6 2011 3:37 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

Re: Blackmagic Ultrascope & Timecode

I use an Ultrascope too and notice that the Nitris DX does not send out TC info out to the scope. The outputs of the HDCAM deck send timecode out to the scope correctly. It would definitely be helpful if the NItris DX and Mojo would output the VITC timecode. 

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Thu, Jul 7 2011 4:57 AM In reply to

No timecode with Mojo DX here either. In my case it is being fed from an Arri Alexa, and when I switch back to a live feed I see timecode again. Why no TC in Avid?

System 1: HP Z400, 3.20G Quad Core, Quadro 4000, 250G SSD system drive,Windows 7 64, MojoDX w/active hib, 6G ram, Cal Digit VR ESATA Raid, Recommended... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 7 2011 7:11 AM In reply to

Neither exactly what you are looking for but

Would turning on "generate LTC TC on playback" in the General settings help?

Could using the realtime Avid TC effect for Burned in TC work for you?

• Thu, Jul 7 2011 9:03 AM In reply to

• KaiBanzai
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 290

Thanks Andrew, unfortunately this won't work. As I know the UltraScope can only read VITC via SDI. Burnt in TC doesn't help because I want an error report about the video by the UltraScope software with TC information in the report. So the software has to understand the TC.

Well, nobody here seems to know for sure if Avid hardware is able to process VITC? (They can process VBI, so why not also VITC? And when capturing Avid also gets the TC... or is that via remote cable?)

Thanks, Kai

Avid MC 6, Win7 professionel 64 bit, HP Z400, i7, 12GB, Decklink HD extreme 3D, Quadro FX 3800, GeForce GTX 680 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 7 2011 9:31 AM In reply to

• AdamGiles
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • N.E. UK
    • Posts 461
    • Points 5,760

I've used MC v5.5 that sent timecode to my JVC monitor via SDI. Can't remember if it was just when using "Digital Cut" tool though.

HP 8710W 4 Gig Ram. M.C. 6.0.5. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 8 2011 4:29 AM In reply to

As far as I've seen with MojoDX they do NOT pass embedded time code along when capturing or simply monitoring an HDSDI stream. I have tried checking the TC option in capture, but it still won't pass or capture TC. I believe you have to use RS 422 to get any TC. Please tell me if there is any other way during capture.

System 1: HP Z400, 3.20G Quad Core, Quadro 4000, 250G SSD system drive,Windows 7 64, MojoDX w/active hib, 6G ram, Cal Digit VR ESATA Raid, Recommended... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 21 2011 8:22 AM In reply to

• KaiBanzai
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 290

Hello again! I've found a workaround.

First: The Nitris and also the MojoSDI are able to capture the VITC along with video and also output that. In the Video output settings is a button "VBI". By default there is BLANK. You have to choose "preserve". Then you can capture a video with timecode e.g. a clip starting with 10:00:00:00.

When you playback that clip and the output setting for VBI is still preserve then the ultrascope will get the timecode.

How to use that in a sequence: If your sequence starts at 10h, then simply make a new video track and there you put your 10:00:00:00 clip. It has to be the upper most track. Now of course you won't be able to see your sequence any more. So you have to put the resize effect on the clip and crop the picture. With resize it works. It doesn't work with other effects like picture in picture or superimpose because those effects seem to rebuild the video information in a way that it looses the VBI.

On my system I always have a project with basic clips and effects. There I put the preserved VBI-clip. When I am working on a project I simply open the bin with that clip and can use it. You even don't need to capture that clip in best resolution. I've tried 10:1 mxf and that works fine.

Please remember to switch from blank to preserve because I think you can not save that as a setting under windows and after you open the project again it will be "blank" again (maybe you can save it on a mac... as far as i know there you can save the output settings, but not under windows).

I hope this also works for the DX hardware. Please post here if you found out.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller