Latest post Thu, Jul 7 2011 4:56 PM by Terry Snyder. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 2 2011 9:15 PM

• caamada
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 27 2011
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

doubt with mojo and quadro

Hi. I'm a beginner with avid and this world. My doubt is this:

I need to accelerate my renders in my machine, and if possible have an external fullscreen monitor to view material.

What I need? And Nvidia Quadro give me that? or I need a Mojo SDI?

I work with severals canon cameras, sometimes some hdv tape but nothing more.

Appreciate help.

Thanks

Dario

• Sun, Jul 3 2011 12:12 PM In reply to

• Steve Clark
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 3 2011
    • Melbourne, AU
    • Posts 74
    • Points 815

Re: doubt with mojo and quadro

Hi caamada, 

It all depends on how you plan to use your Avid now, and what else you may want to do with it in the short term future.

In editing you will hear the terms, BOB 'Break Out Box', File Based Workflow, and Realtime effects.    

With Avid you will also hear DNA which means Digital Non-linear Accelerator.

A BOB is a box with various connectors that allows you to get baseband video in & out of your editing system.  

File Based Workflows (which seem to be where the industry is heading) is where you don't need to work with baseband video - you import your media as files and you export media as files. 

Realtime effects are effects you apply to your timeline that don't need to be rendered to be played out as baseband video.   

Avid's DNA's (Mojo, Adrenaline, Nitris) are BOB's with a bit of dedicated hardware that allow you to have more realtime effects. If you work in a broadcast environment where you may need to play your edited sequence to the studio live, or if you output baseband SDI to tape, A DNA is a real asset, especially on long jobs like a documentary. 

However if your output is file based, then you need to render your entire sequence anyway and loose this benefit of DNA.

Of course a DNA also gives you the ability to capture baseband SDI and monitor your edit (in supported project formats) on an external client monitor as well.

You don't need a BOB or DNA to capture DV or HDV in Avid.

As of Media Composer 5.5, Avid have opened up two extra options for us. The Matrox MXO2 Mini and the AJA IO Express. If you plan to only have a file based workflow, I recommend the Matrox MXO2 Mini. If you produce Blu Rays - get the MAX option. If you plan to hire equipment or capture SDI or HDSDI, the AJA IO Express is worth a look.  

To accelerate your renders, get the highest spec'ed Avid qualified system your budget will afford, and use Windows 7 64 if you have a PC with lots of RAM.  

Lenovo C30 1095CTO Dual Xeon E5-2640 (12 Cores @ 2.50Ghz) Nvidia Quadro 4000 32Gb RAM OCZ Vertex 4 SSD system drive. Avid RTR-320x VideoRAID ATTO UL5D... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 4 2011 12:33 PM In reply to

• MAC HOLLAND
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Holland Landing Ontario
    • Posts 740
    • Points 9,305

FULL SCREEN PLAYBACK:   Shift / CNTR / F gives full screen HD playback on 19020 x 1080  24' monitor --it wow customers when playing HD fooatage - veven in full resolution / green playback mode.  Has an occational stumble but that becasue a hard drive is failing I think.

Does not solve the render time issue.

AVID MEDIA COMPOSER 4.08 Asus P6T6 WS Revolution Intel X58 LGA1366 Motherboard Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, LGA 1366, 4.8GT/s QPI... [view my complete system specs]

MAC HOLLAND
    YORK REGION - ONTARIO

• Mon, Jul 4 2011 2:23 PM In reply to

• caamada
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

Thanks a lot MediaMogul.

Yes, my workflow is filebased so, maybe I need a Quadro to accelerate renders and export, and a Matrox MXO2 to have FullScreen Output.
    Now I must check if this outputs are via VGA, Component and S-VIDEO, or HDMI.

Something I would like to know.

If my timeline is HD 1080 25p, Could I  have a full screen output SD to a Television 576i? 
    Or I need a HD monitor to check it?
    Thanks A lot.

Dario 

• Mon, Jul 4 2011 2:40 PM In reply to

Hi Dario,

caamada:
    I need to accelerate my renders in my machine

I'm freelance, so I see a lot of different systems.  The one thing I've noticed that seems to speed up rendering the most is a fast processor.

caamada:
    external fullscreen monitor to view material.

Avid's recently added support for the MX02 Mini and AJA IO Express for external monitoring.  In addition to the Mojo, you might also give them a look.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2019.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Jul 4 2011 4:02 PM In reply to

The one thing I've noticed that seems to speed up rendering the most is a fast processor.

.- Absolutely right on the money.

You need more CPU power to accelerate renders and exports.

Faster Hard Drives (or a RAID 0 or 5) also helps a lot.

Last but not least, enough RAM.

Rendering in Avid is a CPU intensive process, the video card has little or nothing to do with it, at least at the moment.

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Mon, Jul 4 2011 4:14 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,333
    • Points 53,570

Agreed. I had no problem playing back full-screen 1920x1200 even with the ATI 4850 card. I am running an AMD 965 quadcore CPU @3.4 ghz.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Mon, Jul 4 2011 5:42 PM In reply to

• caamada
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

Great, thanks to all of us. I have a more clear vision of how Avid work with hardware and what I really need.

I was using Edius, so this is a new world, but a very good one.

• Mon, Jul 4 2011 10:56 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,398
    • Points 97,145

MAC HOLLAND:
    Shift / CNTR / F gives full screen HD playback on 19020 x 1080  24' monitor --it wow customers when playing HD fooatage
    caamada:
    If my timeline is HD 1080 25p, Could I  have a full screen output SD to a Television 576i? 

Or I need a HD monitor to check it?

OK, one point at a time: Avid's full screen playback is a stop gap at best.  In a PAL frame rate environment you will see tearing.  It's one of the reasons that I moved over to the MXO2 Mini.

Which brings me to the second issue.  I have my MXO2 hooked up via HDMI to a domestic HD TV.  I don't know about prices in your neck of the woods, but a Sony Bravia 32" street price is $500 here.  No name brands of the same size start around $300, so maybe you should hunt around.

If you don't want to buy a new monitor just yet (China's economy is suffering inflation at the moment, so prices will rise) I also have the video and audio outputs of the MXO2 plugged into my Panasonic desktop recorder.  While my client is watching the cut in HD I'm recording an SD DVD for them to take with them.

So yes, it is possible to use a standard def monitor with the MXO2.  I really would recommend not doing that though.  Once you (and your clients) see your work in true HD they won't want to look at SD.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 5 2011 2:08 AM In reply to

• caamada
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

I found the Matrox Mini in my countr (Argentina) and exist the MAX option.

Thats another hardware or is an option that I can unlock by software later?

• Tue, Jul 5 2011 4:30 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,398
    • Points 97,145

The Max option is additional hardware and software inside the MXO2 Mini that accelerates H264 encoding.  I believe that with the current drivers MC 5.5 on the Mac can make use of it, but cannot (yet) on the PC.

Matrox always emphasize that Avid MXO2 support is a work in progress, so it is quite possible that other features may be added as time goes on.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 5 2011 10:48 AM In reply to

• Steve Clark
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 3 2011
    • Melbourne, AU
    • Posts 74
    • Points 815

MAX is not available as an upgrade.

So decide if you need it before you buy. 

I decided not to get MAX with my MX02 mini, but I'm starting to wish I did. 

If you plan to make blu rays or H264 files, MAX will give you faster than real time hardware encoding. If you've ever software Authored a Blu Ray, you'll know how long it can take.    

Lenovo C30 1095CTO Dual Xeon E5-2640 (12 Cores @ 2.50Ghz) Nvidia Quadro 4000 32Gb RAM OCZ Vertex 4 SSD system drive. Avid RTR-320x VideoRAID ATTO UL5D... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 7 2011 2:40 AM In reply to

• caamada
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

Thanks. I buy a Matrox Mini and its just what I need.
    Thanks a lot fot the answers 

• Thu, Jul 7 2011 4:40 AM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 6 2008
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 588
    • Points 7,005

raspago:
    Rendering in Avid is a CPU intensive process, the video card has little or nothing to do with it, at least at the moment.

What if you have a Quadro FX3700 card or higher? Don't they give you distributed processing which would mean faster renders?

(I'm really asking cos I know someone who is selling a secondhand one and I'm thinking of upgrading from my FX1400)

cheers

Campbell

8.5 on a mongrel PC, Win 7, QT7.5, Nvidia GTX 970, 16Gb RAM, SSD, NAS for raw media and a Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 7 2011 5:39 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,398
    • Points 97,145

In another thread here Marianna gave the definitive explanation of Quadro Fx acceleration.  I'll paraphrase her post.

With Graphics acceleration Media Composer sends effects to the GPU for processing.  This capability is only available with the Quadro series of cards.  This is fine, but the transfer of data to the GPU takes up CPU cycles.  If an effect is complex enough the transfer overhead will be offset by the render acceleration provided by the GPU and you have a nett gain.

However with a simple effect you may not see much benefit from the GPU.  Stream counts can even drop slightly as CPU cycles are lost on the transfer to and from the GPU.  In that case the advanced GPU processing can't compensate for that lost time.

Rating graphics cards/graphics acceleration from lowest to highest would go Quadro FCX 1800, Quadro FX 3800, Quadro FX 4800 and so on.  On that basis the FX 3700 should be better than the FX 1400.  Whether it's enough of an improvement to justify the outlay only you can say.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller