Latest post Sat, Jul 9 2011 8:37 PM by RyanCB. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 2 2011 6:58 PM

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 2 2011
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

AUTOSYNC audio problems - also bonus INSUFFICIENT MEDIA question!

Hello all - I've done some searching around on the forums trying to find an answer to this - but no such luck - so I decided to make a thread. 

I'm having some issues with autosync.  I'm working from AMA linked .mov and .mp4 clips from a Sony F3, and imported sound files, and autosyncing them.  Things were going well until seemingly randomly when I autosync'd two sublclips the audio would cut out halfway through.  The audio track I used to autosync is the full length of the clip, so that's not the problem.  Also I can scrub through the clip with the 'blue bar' and hear the audio that way... 

Not sure if this is related, but ever since that's been happening, when I place a sync'd clip in the timeline, I can only hear the audio if it's on A3 & A4, not 1 & 2.  I tried toggling them on/off, solo/mute, etc etc but no luck... 

One last one: sometimes when I autosync and try to play the new clip, it gives me the PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA error.  I can sometimes still scroll around using the blue bar, but when I try to play, that error shows up and no dice. 

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

PS - I'm running MC 5.5.1

Filed under: , ,
  • Sat, Jul 2 2011 8:13 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: AUTOSYNC audio problems - also bonus INSUFFICIENT MEDIA question!

Hi Ryan,

First I suggest you update to MC 5.5.2 as there were quite a few area's of the app fixed which will definately help you.  Here is the PDF of the readme so you can see what is fixed....

http://avid.force.com/pkb/LegacySearch?DocId=406151

It sounds like something for corrupted.....  to verify - create a new timeline and add a bunch of clips and so a quick test to see if a new one works....   can you go back in time ( attic) and see if works?

You say you get PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA  - is there more to that error when you posted?  

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Jul 3 2011 9:52 PM In reply to

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

Hi Marianna - thanks for the reply!  

I just installed 5.5.2.  Unfortunately I'm still having some problems... I created a new sequence/timeline and just put a bunch of clips in - and sure enough the audio (even the audio that cuts out when viewed in the clip window) works on tracks 1 & 2.  The problem is, I already have a sequence cut together, and when I copy and paste that into the new timeline, the old problem of not hearing anything unless the audio is moved down to tracks 3 & 4 returns.  Do I basically have to redo everything in a new timeline? 

As for the insufficient media error, it happens very inconsistently when I try to autosync.  I make subclips of the video and audio files in a bin, highlight those two, and hit autosync.  Normally of course this works but occasionally it will create the new sync'd clip, but when I try to double click it to view it, I get a pop up window saying "Exception: PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA" and it won't play.  But the picture shows up in the clip window, and I can use the blue bar to scroll through it (and see the corresponding video) but every time I try to play it, I get that error.  

Do either of these things have to do with the fact that the video clips I'm syncing from already have in-camera audio?  Do I need to adjust something in the autosync window?  

Thanks!

• Sun, Jul 3 2011 10:29 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Check to see if monitoring is turned on for Channels 1 and 2 on your timeline.  Click on the left facing triangle above the audio tracks on the timeline an see if the "power" button is turned on for those tracks.

The PMM_INSUFFICIENT_MEDIA error means that the underlying clip grossly overstated it's assets and has now been embarrassed publicly.  Try re-importing the audio file(s) and re=syncing the clip(s).

Yes, it sounds like you've grouped the clips and included the original tracks.  You can also sync the picture and external tracks manually on a timeline and turn that sequence or sub-sequence into a Synced clip that won't have the original camera audio.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sat, Jul 9 2011 7:10 PM In reply to

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

Thanks for the reply. 

I have been running into some more problems which I think have to do with the audio clips grouping... even though I'm not even sure what grouping means.  I'm getting weird stuff like invisible audio tracks and overlapping audio tracks even though there's only 1 (set of 2) present...

Is there a way to make a subclip of the IN->OUT of video footage without taking it's audio along?  I've just been holding alt and dragging from the clip monitor into a bin.  Also - how would I turn a section of manually synched footage in a timeline and turn it into a clip in a bin?  It's getting a bit annoying going from one sequence (my movie) to another (the manually synched clips sequence).   Thanks!

• Sat, Jul 9 2011 7:15 PM In reply to

RyanCB:
    Is there a way to make a subclip of the IN->OUT of video footage without taking it's audio along?
    Deselect the A-track buttons.
    RyanCB:
    how would I turn a section of manually synched footage in a timeline and turn it into a clip in a bin
    Select the subsequence, and choose Bin->AutoSync. It's that easy :D
    Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 9 2011 7:29 PM In reply to

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

Ah, I didn't know you had to go to the bin level in order to get the Autosync button to work - thanks!

As for the deselecting of the A-track buttons - you mean in the timeline window, right?  Because when I deselect them there and either alt-click-drag or hit my make subclip shortcut I'm still getting audio on the new subclip.

• Sat, Jul 9 2011 7:50 PM In reply to

If you're dragging from the source monitor, make sure to disable the audiotracks on the SOURCE side of the timeline. That selects what you are extracting from the source monitor.
    Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 9 2011 8:37 PM In reply to

• RyanCB
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 18
    • Points 260

Yeah, I deselect the audio tracks on the source side, but when I open the subclip I just made they reappear and there's still audio.  Happens for both dragging and keyboard shortcut.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller