Latest post Tue, Nov 20 2012 4:39 PM by T.Spain. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jul 2 2011 5:43 PM

• Marco Polo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 1 2011
    • Canada
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

How to import AVCHD to Avid?

Hey guys,

On Wednsday, I'm going to start filming my short film. I was originally going to use Final Cut Pro, but now that I have learned Avid, I think I have enough confidence to edit a short film with Avid. The problem is... I've never edited AVCHD before. 

So my question is, how would I go about bringing the files from the SD card into Avid to edit? I know these files aren't directly editable. 

Thanks, and please make your answers very detailed because I'm a noob at Avid.

We will be using a Canon Hf10 by the way.

Avid Symphony 6 for PC [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , , , ,
  • Sat, Jul 2 2011 9:27 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: How to import AVCHD to Avid?

Hey there - and BTW there are a few of us Girls here too :)

AVCHD is an import format only.   Inside MC go to File > Import, navigate to the stream folder and select the .MTS files.  Once in the system, the media can be transcoded to any codec in the Media Creation Settings.  One note is that spanned clips are not supported.

Spanned clips are clips where the transport stream file is split in the middle of a GOP; the part after the split does not start on an I-Frame and therefore can't be imported.

HTH

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sat, Jul 2 2011 9:33 PM In reply to

• Marco Polo
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Yay finally some girls :) 

Anyways, just to clarify, I'm assuming that the steam folder is the main AVCHD folder? Also, what would you recommend the media be transcoded to for the best quality? 

Thanks a lot for your help :) 

Marco. 

• Sat, Jul 2 2011 9:42 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Marco....

According to our resident expert on AVCHD....

DNx145 would be the best. But if disk space is of a concern xdcam 35 or 50mb would work.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sat, Jul 2 2011 10:54 PM In reply to

• Marco Polo
    • Not Ranked
    • Canada
    • Posts 11
    • Points 155

Thank you so much Marianna. The Avid communty is extremely friendly and useful :) 

• Thu, Nov 10 2011 7:53 PM In reply to

• Dan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 29 2011
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

What is the best solution for dealing with spanned files?  I have some footage that is 38 minutes long and nothing seems to want to put all the footage back together.

• Fri, Nov 11 2011 6:58 PM In reply to

I've post my findings before but I spent some time testing this 6 months ago. Basically, the easiest and faster route is actually using FCP7 Log and transfer to convert everything to Prores and then bringing that to Avid. It's faster then bringing directly to avid and it doesn't have any issues with spanned clips.

Also, quality wise it was pretty much the same. FCP7's log and transfer is actually very fast because it is one of the only parts of FCP that is multi processor aware.

BUT, if you can hold on to MC6, it is probably going to be way better on this regard since you can AMA avchd and convert only the things you need if you still want to convert them, that it is.

Have a good time editing.

E.

MacBook Pro 16 (2019), 8GB 5500MX, 32GB RAM, OSX 10.15.4, MC 2020.4 || Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 40 Gb RAM, BM Mini Monitor 4k, GTX970 4GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 10 2012 12:44 AM In reply to

hi,

the directing importing of .mts file yields reelname-less files all starting at 1:00:00:00, right?

this makes it quite difficult to use imported AVCHD in a AAF-roundtrip with resolve, for example.

anyone tried AVCHD-imported images Avid-Resolve roundtrip?

it doesn't work for me, and I have no idea how it "could" work since there isn't any reel name for Resolve to find the images (and TC isn't enough since they all start at 1:00:00:00)

David

Media Composer 6.0.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 10 2012 1:50 AM In reply to

• tho_wi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 23 2011
    • Posts 53
    • Points 640

Parallell Cinéma:
    anyone tried AVCHD-imported images Avid-Resolve roundtrip?

it doesn't work for me, and I have no idea how it "could" work since there isn't any reel name for Resolve to find the images (and TC isn't enough since they all start at 1:00:00:00)

Correct - MTS files do not contain real timecode nor a tape name.

Workflow (incl. Resolve roundtrip):

- convert the MTS files to QT-movies (with a tool of your choice... 5DtoRGB, ClipWrap, Media Converter or whatever)

- get "qtChange" to alter your converted MOVs. This little tool can add reel names and timecode to *.MOV files in conjunction with an *.ALE for import into Avid.

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/42/qtchange

- Import *.ALE into Avid. Batch import the clips with appropriate settings. Edit in MC

- Export AAF (relink works fine - no need to copy the media. I'd select to create a copy of the sequence)

- in Resolve look at the settings in the "timeline conform options" (in the config pane).

"Use timecode": check "embedded in the source clip". Also check "assist using reel numbers" and "embedding in source clip file"

- import AAF. Color grade. Render using the default for "Avid AAF". As destination folder for the rendered files choose the Avid Media Files folder of your current project, or - even better - a Media File folder on another drive that does not contain Media Files from the current project

- back in MC open the Media Tool. Search for master clips on the drive in question (check all projects). The files rendered by Resolve contain a "Comment" -> "created by Resolve". Drag these clips into the bin with your sequence.

- double check if clip-names and reel-names really show up in the rendered files

- mark all the clips "created by Resolve" and your sequence. Select "relink" (Clip Menu or right click on sequence). Check "Selected Items in all open Bins". Select "Relink by Start-Timecode and Tape". Also check "Allow relinking of imported/AMA clips by Source file name" and "Match case when comparing tape and source file names"

Works fine on my machine

MC 6.5.3 & 7.0 . Matrox Mini . OS X 10.8.4 . 8x2.26GHz Nehalem . 24GB RAM . Radeon HD 5870 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 10 2012 4:56 AM In reply to

looks like a good solution, thanks very much!

I'll post my results when I try it

David

Media Composer 6.0.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 20 2012 12:56 PM In reply to

• T.Spain
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 20 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Marianna,

Hi. Have you ever encountered this while importing AVCHD?..I am using MC 5.5..I actually imported one MTS successfully but any other clips (non spanned) give an error message like this. Appreciate your time and thanks.  

Exception FATAL_ERROR

msg.AssertionfailedCMError_No_Error==cmErrfile..\.\srcComsumers\Imports\AVCH

DVideoImpConsumercpp, line1032

• Tue, Nov 20 2012 2:27 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hi there....

I havent seen this error before.......

Have you scanned this guide to make sure everything is the way it is suppose to be on your system?

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/AVCHD_AMA_v6.0_v10.pdf

Marianna 

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Tue, Nov 20 2012 2:46 PM In reply to

• T.Spain
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 20 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Marianna, Thank you. Apparently the AMA plug in for AVCHD is for 6.0 only? I am stil on 5.5.3. Not sure if there is one for the older version?

Tim

• Tue, Nov 20 2012 2:52 PM In reply to

Hi Tim,

A short term solution may be to download the trial version of MC 6.5 and get your footage injested that way.  Then you can always go back at edit in MC 5.5.3 if you want to.  Not sure what the hardware and OS situation is, but that should work.

Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Tue, Nov 20 2012 3:02 PM In reply to

Don't forget the initail AVCHD AMA plugin could crash on variable GOP content. The revised one rejects AVCHD content with variable GOP lengths but I've been unable to locate a definitive list of what cameras in what modes produce AVCHD that either works fine or is know to be an issue.

So currently we (VET my company) consider AVCHD to be AMA to be unworkable until this is clarified or resolved.

Better to look at external solutions to convert the content into something Avid can handle reliably.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller