Latest post Tue, Jul 5 2011 12:24 PM by Pat Horridge. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 29 2011 10:53 AM

DS vs FCPX

Hi,   We all know what is going on now with FCPX.   Is there going to be a reinvigorated Avid marketing strategy to capitalise on this.    Are we going to see a push for Avid software in training and educational centres around the world? Are we going to see a marketing (remember marketing?) in the proffessional environment?   And specifically for Avid DS; it is a logical move for a FCP editor to move towards DS in terms of workflow and ability and completeness of a system.   Are we going to see some signs of life from Avid? Some direction? Some action? Or are they going to sit on their hands, sucking their pacifiers as they seem to prefer? Excuse the abrasive manner of this post, but this moment is going to pass and now is the time to act. I look forward to your responses especially those from representatives of Avid. Kind regards, Dec

• Wed, Jun 29 2011 2:14 PM In reply to

Re: DS vs FCPX

Similar sentiment here.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Jun 29 2011 2:39 PM In reply to

• GusC
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 531
    • Points 6,565

I don't think Avid will see this as a DS Opportunity, but as one for Media Composer.  Then again, that's kinda how they always see it.

• Wed, Jun 29 2011 2:45 PM In reply to

Having had a chance to play with FCPX I can see some of the exciting flexibility it allows in a creative way that many DS operators have said of DS for many years. So in some ways I think it does compete in terms of creative flexibility. But that's where it ends.

The FCPX concept is very different and initially we're seeing negative opinions of it based on an established methodology. However it may well be that a new methodology can emerge and the FCPX style will suit that.

Whatever there is clearly an opportunity here for Avid but it would need a swift and smart approach to seize it and unless there's something big up Avids sleeve and we see it in the next week or so that moment will have passed. There will still be gains to be made of course but the moment will have passed.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Sat, Jul 2 2011 11:29 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

It would be nice to have an FCP to Avid DS promotion for say $4000

Just saying Smile

• Mon, Jul 4 2011 7:57 PM In reply to

• tonyjover
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Birmingham UK
    • Posts 390
    • Points 4,590
    • Moderator: Avid DS

NICKB:

It would be nice to have an FCP to Avid DS promotion for say $4000

Just saying Smile

Agreed Big Smile

But the promotion would need to explain  why it's such a good idea (kona card, DS capabilities etc)

Tony

• Mon, Jul 4 2011 8:56 PM In reply to

It would be nice to have an FCP sequence import into DS but I've asked for that for MC for a while now so not holding my breath....

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

-

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jul 5 2011 12:06 PM In reply to

• NICKB
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,182
    • Points 16,295

The politics of FCP import into Avid products should have changed infact almost the number one feature on a free update very soon.

• Tue, Jul 5 2011 12:24 PM In reply to

NICKB:

The politics of FCP import into Avid products should have changed infact almost the number one feature on a free update very soon.

Pqarticularly as FCP7 is now EOL so the project structure won't be changing. FCPX is a completely different beast and at least 2-3 years away from being a serious product.

So Avid lets please have FCP import into DS and MC from legacy FCP projects. We don't want to have to run FCP7 systems with Automatic Duck just to offer a gateway into Avid.....

-

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller