Latest post Wed, Jun 29 2011 3:34 PM by michel_forte. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 28 2011 9:39 AM

Matrox MX02 video delay...different audio output possible?

Hi everybody,

I have a small issue with MC 5.0.0 and the Matrox MX02. Basically the whole thing works just fine, but I have a short video delay (maybe 2 frames?), when I plug it into an external HD Monitor. Do I need a different cable to fix the delay? (I'm using a 10m cable)

Ok, this set aside: I could even live with these 2 frames, if I could still work on my desktop and listen to the sync sound from the Mac Pro, and use the HD monitor for an occasional glimpse (for example color-correction). But as soon as I switch to the MX02, I can only listen to the sound from the MX02, which is of course out of sync with my desktop. 

Is there a way I can use the MX02 for video, but still use the audio from my MacPro?

Thank you very much

Filed under: , , , , ,
  • Tue, Jun 28 2011 10:30 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Matrox MX02 video delay...different audio output possible?

When Avid is running with the MXO2 Mini, the audio is going to go out via the Matrox.  The only alternative is to use 1394 mode and bypass the MXO2 entirely.

The audio and picture coming out of the Matrox are in sync.  Unfortunately, the monitor has a bit of cogitating to do so that adds a 2 frame delay to the picture.  Here are some solutions (some more reasonable than others):

1.  If the monitor has a audio output, use that as a source to your speakers.  Chances are you'll get the HDMI audio with the processing delay added to the audio output.

2.  Use an external delay device.  More channels = more money.

3.  Find a monitor that has a shorter delay.  HD-SDI seems to do the trick.

4.  Tell your clients that this is what it will look like at home.

If you are in fact running MC 5.0.0.0 you might want to download the most current release MC 5.0.3 here.  You'll need to de-activate your current copy (unless you have a dongle), un-install then install the new version.  Lot's of fixes since 5.0.0.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Tue, Jun 28 2011 10:45 PM In reply to

If the MX02 os only for occassional use as suggested a fifth option could work.

Duplicate the sequence you are going to show. Rename as xxxViewing copy. Insert a 2 frame correction and view as normal.

I would have a bin called MX02 viewing copies and keep the duplicate timelines in there.

You would just need to be alert to ALWAYS change back to your original sequence before carrying on editing.

• Wed, Jun 29 2011 3:34 PM In reply to

LOL...I like this one! I think I'll actually go with that ;)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller