Latest post Mon, Jun 27 2011 5:27 PM by Peridot Pictures. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 24 2011 7:19 PM

Stuttering Playback With ProRes AMA

I have ProRes 422 files linked via AMA.  At first they seemed to playback fine, and actually most due 95% of the time, but sometimes they stutter.  One in particular is stuttering (dropped audio and video pauses) quite frequently.  I have been adding several locators to it, which is the only difference between it and other files, which still stutter just not nearly as much.  I am also noticing yellow lines above the timeline which apparently means I am having CPU problems?  I know my mac isn't technically qualified by Avid, but it's a brand new 8-core system.  I am running in yellow/green.  Any ideas?  This shouldn't be happening right?  Why are there yellow line (look more like dots on my timeline) only in certain areas?  I do have 6 audio tracks, but it's just audio and 4 of them are muted.

MC v5.5.2, Snow Leopard 10.6.7, Mac Pro 8-core Westmere, 6GB Ram, Radeon HD5770 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 24 2011 8:01 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,130
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Stuttering Playback With ProRes AMA

It's not the locators, it's what happens when you push the performance envelope with a unqualified machine.  AMA adds another layer of complexity to the equation as Media Composer has to play non-native media, decode it and keep track of it in addition to it's usual workload.  If you're game, just for grins, try transcoding the problem clip(s) to DNxHD and see if they play without stuttering.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Fri, Jun 24 2011 8:03 PM In reply to

Update: I am also getting distortion that looks like tape tracking problems on some shots with movement, but sometimes it plays fine.  Weird.  Same with the stuttering.  I go back to where it dropped the audio/video and it plays back smooth (until it drops somewhere new), so it's not the file from what I can tell.  Seems like AMA is just having trouble reading the file correctly, but ProRes should be playing back fine I would think.

MC v5.5.2, Snow Leopard 10.6.7, Mac Pro 8-core Westmere, 6GB Ram, Radeon HD5770 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 24 2011 8:10 PM In reply to

I'll give it a shot hbrock.  I'm sure that will work too, but I really don't want to have to transcode everything again.  That's what AMA is for right?  And it's just one stream, no effects, nothing.  If AMA can't play intraframe ProRes 422 smoothly, then I am not a happy camper, and have a lot transcoding to do.

• Mon, Jun 27 2011 5:27 PM In reply to

hbrock, I think it might be because these are very long (30min) QT REFERENCE files.  I was trying to save space because I synced everything in FCP and didn't want to have to export large self contained files.

I'm going to try to export out of FCP as self-contained ProRes files and see if that helps instead of third gen transcode to DNX.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller