Latest post Fri, Jun 24 2011 1:02 AM by MontanaMax. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 23 2011 6:26 PM

• MontanaMax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 23 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

A Great Day For Avid!!

Hello everyone,

My name is Walter and I have been using Avid's Pro Tools audio editing systems and software for the past decade.  Pro Tools is an incredible program and in my opinion, it is second to none.  I recently decided to expand my horizons a bit and try my hand at video editing.  I spoke with several video editors whom I had collaborated with in the past and found the best options to be either Apple's Final Cut Pro Studio 3 or Avid's Media Composer; Avid's Media Composer being the better of the two for larger projects.  I will admit that, I first started off using Apple's Final Cut Pro Studio 3.  I thought the program worked great.  Not too long afterwards, I bought Avid's Media Composer as I believed that our market value could only be increased by knowing both. 

Earlier this year, Avid released their update to Media Composer.  The theme was that they had been listening to their Media Composer software users and were continuing to enhance their products with those wants and needs in mind.  

Now, for my whole purpose of writing this post.  On June 21, Apple released its Final Cut Pro X program.  As a prior Final Cut Pro 7 user, I had been extremely excited about the release however, that excitement was short lived.  Let me first start by saying that I am not an Apple hater.  In fact, I am just the opposite.  I have used Mac computers for over a decade and would swear by them; no disrespect to PC users, just my personal preference.  However, what Apple did in regards to the Final Cut Pro software is mind boggling.  No backwards compatibility, no multi-clip support, and amongst a slew of other issues, it does not play well with others.  I am extremely disappointed.  Moreover, it appears they purposely did not inform their users of these shortcoming thus causing professionals to waist their money on a product that is unusable in the semi-professional as well as the professional arena.  It's like bringing an underhand pitcher to the world series.  Sure underhand pitching has its place and it may be suitable for playing around in the front yard with your grandson but it has no place in the world series.  In a sense, that is exactly what Apple did.  Batter Up Avid!!! Let's remind them of whose field this is!

As a result of Apples recent release, I will begin phasing Final Cut Studio 3 out of our workflow as I see no point in working with a software that has no future. I know that Apple says that both Final Cut Pro 7 and X can co-exist on the same computer however, that makes no sense.  The purpose of buying a newer version of anything is because it is supposedly better than the one it replaces.  Why buy a newer version that doesn't work and why keep an older version with no future.

As a dedicated Avid Pro Tools user and now Avid Media Composer user as well, Thank you Avid.  Thank you for providing us with the professional tools necessary to do what we do best, create.  

Walter

BCS

Burbank, CA

• Thu, Jun 23 2011 11:01 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,350
    • Points 60,435
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: A Great Day For Avid!!

My question is, "As a happy Pro Tools user, why did you not go Avid Media Composer in the first place? Wink

Mac Pro. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.6.0. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox 3 Pro), iPad Pro 12.9". 17" Macbook Pro i7. Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 24 2011 1:02 AM In reply to

• MontanaMax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 23 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Re: A Great Day For Avid!!

My first interaction with a video editing software was on a mac equipped with Final Cut Express years ago.  It was nothing serious; just for family oriented events.  In 2009, I was working with an artist on a project slated for a film recently released.  During that time, I spent a lot of time with the editors and got to see that end of the spectrum.  They just so happened to be working with Final Cut Studio 3.  I was truly fascinated by their work.  Long story short, I began sitting in on their sessions and decided to try it out.  I guess you could say that Final Cut Studio was in the right place at the right time. Had they been working with Avid, I probably would have given it a test run first.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller