Latest post Mon, Jun 27 2011 8:22 PM by elracador. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 22 2011 4:15 PM

• elracador
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 17 2006
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 72
    • Points 1,005

XDCAM Ex quality issue

Hi everybody,

I've been looking for a solution but didn't find any post about this so I apologize if the issue has already been solved.

Here's my problem.

I'm working on a Mac Pro 8 cores with MC 5.0.3.

I have a multi-camera project (6 cameras) with Reels from Sony Ex(1 and 3) coming from SxS Sony Cards.

The format is a 35 mb/sec 1080/50i.

I have imported the reels doing Link to AMA volume, choosing the Sony Folder and then Transcoded to DNX120.

My problem is that the video quality is not really what it should be for a Xdcam format, It has like more a SD definition.

I didn't transcoded to 1:1 cause that would have taken too many disk room.

Now that I've finished the editing , I'm making some export tests to see what is the final quality and it doesn't looks good. I'm also afraid of the DVD transcoding that will improve the quality loss.

This is my first time transcoding Xdcam using Avid instead of Sony Xdcam Transcoder, and the first time having this issue.

My question is:

- Is Avid a worst transcoder than Sony Xdcam Transfer ? 

- Should I transcode with Sony Xdcam Transcode program and then Batch Import?

- If Not What Could I do on Avid in order to get the highest fidelity to the original reel?

Thanks for helping me.

Daniel

M.C.8.4 HACK PRO i7 4.7 Ghz, 16Gb Ram, Avid Editing Drive: 4 TB Raid 0 (2 discs internal) , Nvidia GT 640 2 Go OSX 10.9.5 (on 128Gb SSD) [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 22 2011 4:29 PM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,900

Re: XDCAM Ex quality issue

Is your timeline in "yellow" mode?  when in multicam mode, MC may default to that so you get realyime playback.  If it isn't, switch it to Green/Green and see if the image quality improves.  If it does, you're clips are fine.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 22 2011 4:34 PM In reply to

First off you need to do a short section export uncompressed to be sure your export compression isn't compounding the issue.

DNX120 isn't a very high data rate for sure. I'd have gone with DNX185

In theory you should be able to relink a copy of your final sequence back to the AMA EX files and then transcode to whatever format you chose.

If SD is all you need then after relinking back to the AMA sources you could switch the project to SD and transcode the timeline to SD uncompressed (or even 2:1) and export same as source.

The only media you are creating is the run time of the timeline.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jun 22 2011 6:34 PM In reply to

• elracador
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 72
    • Points 1,005

Hi and thanks for your answers.

@  gumbaedit: I know about the playing quality (green/yellow square setting) but unfortunately is not the problem

@  Pat Horrige: I've made un export test with this settings :

- Quick time movie - Uncompressed 4:2:2  10 bit and still getting a poor quality.

- I've also made an export Quick time Ref then imported to Sorenson Squeeze and HD blue Ray Export ( just                   to see) and still getting this DV quality.

You said that I could relink back to AMA sources and just relink the timeline.

My sources are in SOny XdCam folders and Each camera has multiple Folders so is quite complicated.

If you know how let me know. I would like to re-transcode to 1:1 or DNX 185.

Thanks.

Daniel

M.C.8.4 HACK PRO i7 4.7 Ghz, 16Gb Ram, Avid Editing Drive: 4 TB Raid 0 (2 discs internal) , Nvidia GT 640 2 Go OSX 10.9.5 (on 128Gb SSD) [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 22 2011 6:58 PM In reply to

• elracador
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 72
    • Points 1,005

Still from Xdcam 35mb/sec Reel converted to Avid DNX 120

• Thu, Jun 23 2011 7:26 PM In reply to

• elracador
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 72
    • Points 1,005

Hi, Does anyone know how to fix my problem?

How to re-transcode Xdcam reels already transcoded to DNX120 which looks not good enough to me.

Thanks for helping me.

Daniel

• Fri, Jun 24 2011 2:48 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

To relink to the AMA files, just open the AMA bins, take the Avid Media offline and relink.

Try playing the native files using AMA.  That will show you what the original material looks like before transcoding.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sat, Jun 25 2011 1:46 AM In reply to

• elracador
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 72
    • Points 1,005

Hi, 

I cannot relink to AMA Files cause there are not AMA files.

My reels are XDCAM EX files that I Transcoded into DNX 120 through "Link to AMA Volume" feature.

XDCAM EX is divided in some folders and I don't really know how to tell Avid to look there.

6 cameras, each camera has multiple folders and one bigclip divider in multiple clips.

How Can I say to Avid to replace the Clip I've created (transcoded) re-transcoding them from the XDCAM folder?

I don't know If I made myself cleat about that, but import XDcam files trough "link to AMA volume" is different than import files or transcode files that are from other formats.

I 've also tried to re do the "link to AMA volume" but now AVid said "unable to link to any files from the selected AMA volume" thing that I already done before.

I really don't understand.

Please Help Me

Thanks

Daniele

• Sat, Jun 25 2011 8:17 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320

1.  Do you still have the AMA bins that were created when you did the "Link to AMA Volume"?

2.  Are the files that you originally transcoded from the "Link to AMA Volume" bins still in the same location?

If you used AMA to bring the clips into Media Composer and then Transcoded from those clips you can go back to the original files, but exactly how you do that is dependent upon the questions above.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Jun 26 2011 3:02 PM In reply to

• elracador
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 72
    • Points 1,005

Hi, 

1. I don't think that the been where the AMA files appeared is still there.

I though it war there just to show the files.

2. The files are not in the same location because XDCAM AMA files let you rear one card at the time, and the Card folder as to be on the Disk in A SONY -BPAV folder and you cannot put all the cards folder together .

That's why is hard to do a relink to Ama files.

By the way now AVid says " unable to link to any file in the selected AMA volume"

Hoping for a solution

Thanks

Daniel

• Sun, Jun 26 2011 7:23 PM In reply to

• elracador
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 72
    • Points 1,005

I've tried multiple solutions but anything seems to works and now "link to AMA volume" is not working anymore.

I'm getting this error " UNABLE TO LINK TO ANY CLIP AT /VOLUME/..."

HERE what I need:

I would like to re-transcode (like batch import) only the final sequence (timeline).

I'm working on XDCAM reels (previously transcoded with the AVID "LINK to AMA VOLUME" feature) from the actual DNX 120 to a 1:1 MXF.

The problem with XDCAM reels is that Each Camera ( I have 6 cameras) has a 1h20 single shot who is divided into multiple folders (SONY/BPAV/CLPR/ folders with clips inside).

TO get the single 1h20 file you need to transcode the folders using AVID " LINK TO AMA VOLUME" or another program like SONY XDCAM.... that I don't have.

So the option LINK TO AMA FILE is not possible cause there is no AMA file.

Does anyone there knows how to do this.

I really need some help cause the DNX 120 has poor quality here.

Thanks à lot.

Daniel

• Sun, Jun 26 2011 9:09 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320

You need to recreate the file structure inside of the BPAV folder for Media Composer to find what's it's looking for.  The BPAV folder doesn't need to be on the root level but it does need to have the expected contents in the expected places in order for things to work correctly.  If you can do that, you use the Link to AMA Volume and point to the folder that contains the BPAV folder.  That should re-create the AMA bin.  Repeat as necessary.  If you can get all the original files back into AMA bins, take the DNx120 media offline (rename the Avid MediaFiles folder, eject the drive, whatever...).  With the Avid media offline and all of the AMA bins open do a relink.  That should reconnect your sequence to the original XDCAM media.

Alternately you can download the Sony Clip Browser software from the Sony Professional site and use that to convert the material into Avid compatible MXF media but that won't relink to your original sequences because using AMA is a different process from importing.  In either case, if you can't recreate the original file structure you're going to be "challenged".

• Mon, Jun 27 2011 9:23 AM In reply to

• elracador
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 72
    • Points 1,005

Hi, I did recreate the file structure inside the BPAV folder ( I have a copy of the original files that were copied from SXS cards)

but when I put the SONY folder at the disk level and point AVID LINK TO AMA VOLUME to it, it says " unable to link to any file at volume/...."

Is like that AMA is not working anymore.

I really Haurry here. I had to export this week end and I didn't because of this issue.

So resuming:

- I have a 6 cameras ( SOny EX) editing that was imported through the "LINK TO AMA VOLUME" and transcoded into DNX120 which is not good enough for me.

- I cannot do a Relink to AMA files cause there are not AMA files but just XDCAM BPAV folders.

- The LINK TO AMA VOLUME feature is not workin' . I get this message: " unable to link to any file at volume/...."

I've tried with all the cameras folders (the original ones) as I did it the first time but with no result.

@hbrock Your suggestion isn't working

"You need to recreate the file structure inside of the BPAV folder for Media Composer to find what's it's looking for.  The BPAV folder doesn't need to be on the root level but it does need to have the expected contents in the expected places in order for things to work correctly.  If you can do that, you use the Link to AMA Volume and point to the folder that contains the BPAV folder.  That should re-create the AMA bin." 

"Alternately you can download the Sony Clip Browser software from the Sony Professional site and use that to convert the material into Avid compatible MXF media but that won't relink to your original sequences because using AMA is a different process from importing."

- I have SONY CLIP BROWSER but I don't know how to convert for avid without a quality loss. ( I'm trying to avoid multiple conversions: First sony clip browser then Avid... then export then DVDs). SO If I can directly transcode with AVid trough the AMA feature would be fine.

- I would like to transcode only the edited Sequence.

Thanks

Daniel

• Mon, Jun 27 2011 10:15 AM In reply to

• elracador
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 72
    • Points 1,005

Ok.

So I've UNINSTALLED AVID and RE-INSTALLED it and now the " LINK TO AMA VOLUME" is working.

SO Here's my question in order to don't mess the quality again.

The reels are in XDCAM EX 1080 50i 35mb/sec.

What is the best Transcoding setting in order to get no quality loss.

I'va already Transcoded the Reels once at DNX 120 which took 75GB each 1h28 clip  but the quality is bad.

That's why now that I've finished my editing I would like to re-transcode juste the editing sequence if possible.

How Can I do that and Which setting is the best for my reels?

XDCAM HD 35 mb/sec______ 20 GB for 1h28 ( few GB but same that the shooting format)

DNX 185___________________115 GB for 1h28

1:1 MXF __________________530 GB for 1h28 clip.  

I have a 4tb disk and 6 cameras at 530 GB each will take 4.8 TB that I don't have.

That's why I would like to only transcode the Editing sequence but don't know how)

Is there a reason why they put the XDCAM 35mb sec ( same format of shooting) that could be worst then 1:1 mxf?

Let me know in order to can relink the good transcoded clips with the old DNX 120 ( which looks bad).

Thanks again

Daniel

• Mon, Jun 27 2011 11:40 AM In reply to

• elracador
    • Not Ranked
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 72
    • Points 1,005

I've decided to do some test.

I've Opened SONY CLIP BROWSER and done a transcode to MXF for NLEs ( apparently no compression at all).

This gave me a MXF that I've imported into AVID 1:1 MXF

I got a clip 25 GB of 1h28 ( Into AVID the info clip says VIDEO: XDCAM 35mb/sec and not 1:1 mxf so I guess that 1:1 mxf respect the original format).

The strange thing is that if I Transcode the original XDCAM clip through AVID LINK TO AMA VOLUME and then Transcode 1:1 MXF i got 530 GB file for the same 1h28 clip.

This make me confuse of what 's better and Why there's a so huge difference between the 2 files.

Any idea? 

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller