Latest post Sun, Jul 10 2011 7:57 AM by dreid. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 21 2011 7:39 PM

• ozzob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 23 2010
    • Posts 82
    • Points 1,075

New Windows 7 system configuration

Greetings,

This question is about configuration of Windows 7 for use with MC 5.0.x as part of a new build.

Background: I'm moving from an XP setup that was configured for dual booting. This allowed be to isolate MC 5 from everything else you might find on a computer and this has worked well. I use MC 5 as a hobby so it is a bit of a stretch to dedicate a machine to it exclusively.

Windows 7 64 is going to be new to me, so I will be learning it as I go.

One thing I've just learned is that W7 cannot be used in a dual boot system with itself (like I did with XP). Apparently Microsoft considers installation of the same serial number on different partitions on the same computer as multiple machines and will not allow this. Hmmm...

Obviously I can purchase a second copy of W7, and then configure the dual boot, and maybe that is the best approach. But since I know so little about W7 at this point I'm wondering if there are better solutions.

Questions:

1. Do you find MC5 to live and play well with other typical applications? (Office, Quickbooks, normal stuff)

2. Is there some other means of configuring W7 to achieve the same goal of isolating MC from all/most of the other applications? 

3. Am I asking questions that have already been thorougly addressed somewhere that I can be pointed to?

I don't post much, but I frequent the board daily for insight and troublshooting.

Best regards.

MC 2018.4 | 386.1 video driver | Avid FX 6.4 | Quicktime 7.7.9 | Boris CC 8.2 | Squeeze Pro 11 | Sony DVD Architect Pro 6.0 | Windows 10/64 Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 21 2011 8:29 PM In reply to

Re: New Windows 7 system configuration

From the time I moved to W7 64bit from Vista I never looked back.

I love W7.

I can have MC 5.5.2 and AE and TMPGEnc open at the same time.

No problems. I am not talking about Office because this is easy.

But you will need W7 64bit and 8G of RAM or more.

At the next upgrade I will go for 12G.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.5 with Symphony Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Wed, Jun 22 2011 1:28 AM In reply to

• ozzob
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 82
    • Points 1,075

The system will be running a i7 hex core, 12gigs of memory and a Quadro 2000. Room for another 12gigs of memory if needed, all on a Asus p6x58d-e.

When you say Office is easy, do you mean it seems to reside on the same partition without difficulty?

I came from Liquid, and I always found that other software installations could complicate things, even if not in use at the same time. Maybe MC is happy to share the same partition. That would be nice.

MC 2018.4 | 386.1 video driver | Avid FX 6.4 | Quicktime 7.7.9 | Boris CC 8.2 | Squeeze Pro 11 | Sony DVD Architect Pro 6.0 | Windows 10/64 Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 22 2011 3:12 AM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

I run MS Office on my MC system without any problem at all...

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 22 2011 7:36 AM In reply to

ozzob:

I came from Liquid, and I always found that other software installations could complicate things, even if not in use at the same time. Maybe MC is happy to share the same partition. That would be nice.

Where do you think I came from?

But I don't have Liquid anymore, it's only AE and other programs.

I mean if MC can go side by side and at the same time with "heavy" apps like AE or TMPGEnc

(when encoding) why shouldn't go well with MS Office.

This I have it open for all the hours I am editing a show, because I look at the script at the same time.

Desktop
    Corsair RM750X/Asus P8Z68 Deluxe(Gen3)/i7 2600K@4.4/Corsair 32G DDR3/PNY Quadro P2000D(390.77)/Samsung 850 Pro SSD(OS) 256 GB/ 2x2TB WD RE4@RAID 0/LG BH16NS40/W10 Pro 64bit/Media Composer Software 2018.5 with Symphony Option/2xHP 22'' Monitors/M-Audio AV30 Speakers.

Larry as long as I live I will remember you.

3 Heads Digital Films

• Wed, Jun 22 2011 9:25 AM In reply to

Generally the rule should be to minimise the amount of otehr applications you have on your Avid editing system. The more you have the more chances of something going wrong and the harder it is to recover if you have to a clean re-build.

That said there are more and more apps that you need to access on the same machine and I've not yet had an issue using any of the common ones mentioned.

But if it's practical to have an app on a seperate machine (and sometimes that means you can work in parallel) then that's the route to take.

Just watch for anything that tries to update display drivers or other drivers required my MC.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jun 22 2011 12:03 PM In reply to

• Lembit Soobik
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 2 2007
    • Freising - Germany
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,505

Hi,

I have Photoshop, Lightroom, Audition 1.5, Sonicfire, Vasco da Gama on the same Win7-64 as MC5 and have seen no problems.

I don't have Office on this one, however if you want to isolate some Win-XP programs put them in virtual machines. This is easy to do. Just download the XP-mode from Microsoft and you can put up as many virtual machines as you like. Your 12 G RAM should be enough to hold them minimized while you work on MC, or put them in sleep mode. They are all (each) just in a file and have nothing to do with your MC. I have (not on the MC machine) on a W7-64 pro 16 G Ram about 4 XP virtual machines, because my old XP is getting slow and having problems, I cloned it and put it on the W7.

Lembit

MC 8.7 on Windows 10// HP Z800 WS: 2 x Xeon X5570, 48 GB RAM, Quadro FX4800 1.5GB, disks: 1 x 500 GB SATA 7200 = System/ 1 x 1 TB Samsung 840... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 22 2011 3:31 PM In reply to

• ozzob
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 82
    • Points 1,075

Thanks all. I appreciate your comments.

I think what I will do is partition the boot drive and set aside a piece for possible future installation of another interation of W7. While I'm dissapointed in Microsoft's policy of requiring acquisition of yet another copy for installation on the same machine, it is not an expenive solution in the grand scheme of things. In the mean time I will try a comingled installation, with efforts to keep it to a minimum, and see how it goes.

• Wed, Jun 22 2011 3:39 PM In reply to

Pat Horridge:

Generally the rule should be to minimise the amount of other applications you have on your Avid editing system. The more you have the more chances of something going wrong and the harder it is to recover if you have to a clean re-build.

And I can tell you from my own hard experience over many years of using Composer, and from issues I've had to deal with on other client's computers loaded to the brim with dozens of other non-media related applications in addition to Composer, that this is very true. You're best off only loading on additional applications that are necessary to support and enhance your workflow in and out of MC. Lean and mean is the best way to go for long term reliability and stability.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jun 22 2011 3:51 PM In reply to

I have everything running on one machine with no problems. MC, the Adobe package, sorenson squeeze, email, office, etc.

:: Work - Symphony Nitris DX 3.5.1, HP xw8600 :: Home - Intel 3.0Ghz Quad CPU 8GB G.Skill DDR3 7-7-7 1600 Ram Asus P5E3 Pro NVidia Quadro FX... [view my complete system specs]

"Don't go by my script, they're always wrong." - producer to me while editing

• Thu, Jun 23 2011 9:39 AM In reply to

• kd-53
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 28 2010
    • Duesseldorf, Germany
    • Posts 21
    • Points 280

Hi ozzob,

when I started with MC5 last year (coming from Liquid) I also had to setup a new computer with W7 64. I did it in the following way: I prepared 3 primary partitions (80 GB) and 1 primary partition for the rest (here 650 GB). On the first partition I installed XP for Avid Liquid. On the second partition W7. The W7 installation left the XP partition as it was. There is a good bootmanager (freeware) to handle this configuration: EasyBCD.

Then I activated W7 and installed the basic software (Office, pdf, Firefox, Thunderbird,…..). Next step is a backup of this partition (Norton ghost). This backup can be put back on the third partition. EasyBCD will find it and now I have a partition to work with my normal programs and one partition for MC. Another backup of this partition with Norton ghost. I don’t see any problems with Microsoft because it is impossible to run these two instances of W7 at the same time.

Regards

Mobo: Asus Z270-A, i7-7700K, 32GB Ram, Win 10 Prof 64, GeForce GTX 1060 with 6 GB Ram, BM Intensity Pro 4K, MC 2018.4, BCC11, 2 x 24" monitors, Sony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 23 2011 10:18 AM In reply to

Take care with interpretation of license agreements.

It may seem "morally" ok to have multiple installations of software on the basis that only one can be used at a time but if the license specifically states a limitation to installations of the software then that is the license limitation. If you chose to install more copies you are in breach of license.

Had had a discussion with another tech person at another facility about the software tool they were using to make Flash encodes. They weren't aware that the license actual limited the number of encodes they were allowed to produce each day. When I pointed them to the license restriction they were surprised as the software allowed them to make an unlimited number of flash encodes and therefore they couldn't see any issues. Technically they were in breach of the license terms but felt that as no physical or technical limitation was in place then it wasn't a problem. Of course the price they paid for their software package was a fraction of the license fee I paid for unlimited Flash encodes from my software package. Which allowed them to produce files at a far lower cost than I could!

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Jul 8 2011 9:29 PM In reply to

• ozzob
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 82
    • Points 1,075

Thought I would provide an update:

I partitioned the machine as planned. XP on a partition for certain old applications. An unused partition for possible second installation of Windows 7. A large partition for Windows 7/64 with SP1, into which I've installed most of my applications.

Included: Office 2007 (outlook, word, excel, whatever...), Dymo lable v.8, Adobe Acrobat 9 standard, iTunes (for my phone).

I put MC 5.0.3.8 in near the end. Also AvidDVD 6.1.1. Sorenson Squeeze. Borris Continium. Sonicfire Pro 5, ParticleIllusion 3.0, CrazyTalk V5.1. Used correct divers for Quadro 2000. I am using the current release of QuickTime (iTunes wasn't happy with 7.6.6 so I went to 7.6.9).

But wait, there is more.... Copernic desktop indexer, Juicer 3, and a few other things, including Avast for antivirus work.

Yes, I've been ABUSING it. I'm amazed that it is running, but it is. All of it is. It will even run with Avast and Copernic in memory. I've been sucking in AVCHD 1080i files from a Panasonic TM900, editing, making titles with Marquee, inserting clips with an alphas channel from particle illusion, applying various effects, including some of the Borris stuff that seems pretty demanding. I went into Avid DVD from the timeline and burned a DVD (haven't tried a blue ray yet).

Zero crashes.

I really can't believe it.  I expected that I would have need to move MC and related products over to another bootable partition by now. I'm posting this while MC is running, Outlook is checking mail, Avast is monitoring everything in sight. I just plugged in my iphone and it is syncing, including a sync with my Outlook data.

Now, clearly this is madness. And when I'm not feeling abusive I shut down anything I can while using MC. I'm just really surprised. The only quirky feeling thing is that AvidDVD takes pretty long to load. I've never used it before this installation, so I don't know what normal for it is.

My impression is that controlling automatic updates, using specified drivers, large amounts of memory and sticking to a hardware configuration that very closely resembles the approved system is a big part of this present success. I don't use any external hardware/boxes/decks, so that is probably a factor as well.

Or maybe just luck.

That is the update.

• Sat, Jul 9 2011 12:22 PM In reply to

• DonR
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Irving, Mexas
    • Posts 224
    • Points 3,115

Ozzob,

What firewire card are you using?

Thank you.

Don R.

SuperMicro Superworkstation 7045A-T Computer Hardware: 1-Supermicro Sys-7045A-TB 4U Xeon 1333FSB FB-DIMM 6XSATA Motherboard X7DAE 2-Intel... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 9 2011 1:45 PM In reply to

• ozzob
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 82
    • Points 1,075

The ASUS motherboard has a firewire implemented onboard. I've not tried it yet with my older digital video tape camera yet. The Panasonic TM900 uses a USB port. I import directly from the camera into a bin.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller