Latest post Mon, Jan 30 2012 9:15 PM by Kevin Klimek. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 16 2011 1:51 PM

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London UK
    • Posts 560
    • Points 6,515
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

projects "forget" media creation settings

Hi

I've been having this problem on and off with MC as long as I can remember, and wondered if anyone else experiences this?

I choose media creation settings on each project immediately after creating it, always checking all the 'drive filtering' options. i also set video drive and resolution settings [1:1 10 bit for SD, DNxHD185x for HD], hit 'apply all' for both choices. Then I save.

Students work on the projects using my settings, and at some point, these settings seem to get "forgotten".

The first I know is when I find media on the boot drive, or I notice that titles are rendering at DNxHD120.

I have tried creating them as site settings but it still happens once in a while.

any ideas what is causing this would be most welcome.

Nigel

ISIS 5500, MC 18.12.7 & PT 18.12 on Mac OS 10.12.6 & 10.13.6 with BMD Mini-Monitors, UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 16 2011 2:23 PM In reply to

Re: projects "forget" media creation settings

I see this all the time as well.  It's still a bug.

Best practice is to check the Media Creation settings when you open a project and set them correctly before you begin editing.

HTH

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Jun 16 2011 2:41 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 560
    • Points 6,515
      Avid Certified User

Thanks Kevin.

Good to know it's not the students doing it!

I wonder if it's just a Mac MC thing?

Nigel

ISIS 5500, MC 18.12.7 & PT 18.12 on Mac OS 10.12.6 & 10.13.6 with BMD Mini-Monitors, UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 16 2011 3:05 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,282
    • Points 14,525

No it's apparent on PC too. Ctl + 5 is your friend. Check settings after a crash / restart too.

• Thu, Jun 16 2011 3:09 PM In reply to

It's also annoying that the Video Output Tool forgets as well...

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Jun 16 2011 4:05 PM In reply to

• chomper129
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 281
    • Points 3,635

Kevin Klimek:

It's also annoying that the Video Output Tool forgets as well...

Oh man.  How I would love it if it remembered that I need to cross convert to 1080i in my 23.98 projects.  It's the little things......

MC 8.8 and 10.11.6 on a 8 core Mac Pro trash can with Blackmagic studio express, ISIS 5000 at work and MC 8.8 on a Quad i7 27" iMac at home [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 16 2011 4:10 PM In reply to

As has been pointed out, both of these issues - Media Creation settings not being consistently honored even when saved in site settings and video output tool not remembering settings profiles as selected - are indeed LONG STANDING issues that need to be resolved. The Media Creation issue has been around since MC Adrenaline 2.2.1. Also, I have noticed that "apply to all" does not work consistently either. I have gotten into the habit of stepping through each tab and setting resolutions and disk drives individually. Even system and drive filtering does not get consistently honored either.

It is long past time for Avid engineering to fix these problems.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Jun 16 2011 5:31 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 560
    • Points 6,515
      Avid Certified User

Well said Larry.

It's embarrassing telling people how great Avid's media management is [compared to FCP] and then finding out it's sprayed media across all your drives

Any chance someone can bring this thread to the attention of the software engineers?

• Fri, Jul 29 2011 9:00 AM In reply to

• mikepat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 24 2006
    • London, UK
    • Posts 29
    • Points 405

+1 here. I don't understand why this hasn't been fixed for so long - it's unbelievably annoying to discover for the nth time in as many years that MC has has quietly changed the settings you made and spread your material over whatever random drives it felt like. This is basic stuff which causes serious annoyance.

MC 8.6.1, OS X 10.10.5, 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (Harpertown), 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 29 2011 10:01 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 575
    • Points 6,850

I've noticed this issue for a long time as well and have just shrugged and done what Larry said - checked each tab to see if it's set the way I want it - every job . That's gotten old.  I hope that MC 6 will be revolutionary (in a good way) as well as the solution to many of the long standing issues that so many here encounter all the time. Surely a 64 bit rewrite should fix them once and for all . . . fingers crossed and here hoping!

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 24 2011 1:28 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 560
    • Points 6,515
      Avid Certified User

Can anyone confirm whether MC6 finally cures this problem?

• Thu, Nov 24 2011 4:02 PM In reply to

So far, it looks good.  I have had to reassign Media Creation (and Video Output) settings when I first open a project in v6.0, but they have stuck thus far.

-- Kevin

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 12:45 AM In reply to

Kevin, et al:

I have just spent most of the afternoon trying to do what everyone on this email thread has been trying to do.  I have 4 Avids on a Facilis Terrablock, and I am trying to create generic and clone-able projects with specific media creation target drives.  I created several of these projects, with their media creation targets, and opened and re-opened them several times from the Avid system I created them on.  The settings seemed to hold, but as soon as I went next door and opened the projects on another Avid--boom!  Media creation settings all over the place.  Each Avid is definitely accessing the same Media Creation settings file, since I labeled it and can see the label I assigned in each room.  Aaaagh!  

As Larry notes, this has apparently been an issue for a very long time and is very off-pissing.  I managed to convince engineering here to buy 4 seats of Avid, once version 6 came out and we could quickly transform some new FCP rooms to Avid, and if I have media spewing all over the place, I might as well have stuck with the FCPs.

Aaaagh! Again.

Yep, this has gotta get fixed.

Steve Tomich

KGO-TV

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 1:14 AM In reply to

stevetomich:
    I created several of these projects, with their media creation targets, and opened and re-opened them several times from the Avid system I created them on.  The settings seemed to hold, but as soon as I went next door and opened the projects on another Avid--boom!  Media creation settings all over the place.

Steve:

Assuming you're on a Unity system of some kind, what I've found is the user who creates a project will have whatever user settings have been placed in the site settings window applied to that project. So, if my media creation settings all target U: TPC Media, and I have dragged media creation into the site settings window, then any project I create will show that workspace in media creation settings on all other platforms opening that project. So, since I'm the one who creates the projects, I've profiled my site settings window very carefully about what settings I want to be globally applied to all projects - especially when it comes to keeping the Interplay database properly organized.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jan 27 2012 4:11 PM In reply to

Steve,

I don't think this is a bug as much as the way the system has to work.  Consider this:

Any project on a Facilis or Unity will have this kind of folder structure:

Avid Projects folder
              Sample Project folder
                   Sample Project.avp
                   Sample Project.avs (and xml)
                   System 1 folder
                        Sample Project.avp
                   System 2 folder
                        Sample Project.avp

When you're on a particular system, you are altering the settings file for that system.  (In this case, the editor using System 1 would be changing the /System 1/Sample Project.avs file.)   But when you first touch a project from another system, Avid pulls the MAIN project .avp and .avs and uses it as the source of the .avp and .avs for that new system folder (System 2 above).  It never pulls from any other system, so any Media Creation settings that would change would not copy over.

But, you COULD try beating Avid to the punch and making your own System subfolders.  After you start a project on System 1 (and change the Media Creation settings), duplicate the folder and rename it whatever System 2 would be called.  (Look at other projects in your environment to make sure the name is correct.)  Theoretically, that would then have the correct Media Creation setting for all of your systems.

I say this with one caveat, though.  From time to time when trying to open projects on other systems, I will get a DISK_FILENAME_EXISTS error and be unable to open a project.  That tells me there's some sort of issue where Avid can't access and write to the specific system's .avs file.  The workaround is to trash that folder and let the system rebuild it, but in your case, that would put you back where you started with fresh Media Creation settings.

I'm brainstorming as I type and I thought of something else to try.  After you change settings on System 1, replace the MAIN Settings files with the ones from /System 1.  Theoretically, when you first access the project on System 2, it should pull from the main file and your settings should be correct.

Let me know what happens...

-- Kevin

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller