Latest post Wed, Jun 22 2011 4:38 PM by pukkascott. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 7 2011 5:32 AM

• pukkascott
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 39
    • Points 545

New version, old problem: Bus Error, Main Thread, 0x0

Trying to use the MC 5.5.2 trial software. It has installed correctly on my Mac Pro but when I try to run the software the Alert "Bus Error" in thread "Main Thread", at address 0x0 pops up and that's as far as I can get.

I know that this is not a new issue and is not exclusive to Media Composer (Pro Tools seems to suffer a lot). Can anyone shed fresh light on this problem. My basic Mac specs are in the signature.

Other things: I don't have any external hard-drives connected (just four internals). I do not use time-machine (switched off). I have a Black Magic Infinity card installed to give HDMI OP. Apart from that the Mac is standard.

Any ideas that I can try?

Thanks

Self-built Intel i7 PC with Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16GB RAM, GTX570 GFX card, BM Intensity card, G-Tech e-sata drives. Don't need an approved system... [view my complete system specs]

Mantra: Macs are user friendly, Macs are user friendly...

• Tue, Jun 7 2011 6:38 AM In reply to

Re: New version, old problem: Bus Error, Main Thread, 0x0

I've had this and it normally relates to a previous install that hasn't been uninstalled correctly.

But sounds like that's not the case for you.

You mention Protools do you have that installed some of the plugins can give MC problems.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jun 7 2011 6:47 AM In reply to

• pukkascott
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 39
    • Points 545

Thanks for the reply Pat.

This was the first time the Mac had seen anything from Avid apart from some Avid Codecs I installed a while ago for QT Exports from After Effects.

I only mentioned Pro Tools because of things I had read on other forums. I have not installed Pro Tools on the system.

Self-built Intel i7 PC with Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16GB RAM, GTX570 GFX card, BM Intensity card, G-Tech e-sata drives. Don't need an approved system... [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Jun 7 2011 10:06 AM In reply to

Worth a shot.

I'd uninstall all the Avid stuff (even the older codecs) restart and then try a fresh install.

But you can only do that if you've not activated the software as you have to de-activate before an uninstall.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jun 7 2011 12:11 PM In reply to

• nigelad
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • London UK
    • Posts 531
    • Points 6,175
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Pat Horridge:

I've had this and it normally relates to a previous install that hasn't been uninstalled correctly.

But sounds like that's not the case for you.

You mention Protools do you have that installed some of the plugins can give MC problems.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm getting these errors randomly, not quite every day, but often enough to make me think maybe a wipe and fresh install would be worth the pain. now I just need to get the editor out of the way....

Nigel

ISIS 5500, MC 18.12.7 & PT 18.12 on Mac OS 10.12.6 & 10.13.6 with BMD Mini-Monitors, UltraStudio 4K and AJA T-taps. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 7 2011 4:28 PM In reply to

• tchoupiboss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 6 2010
    • Paris, FRANCE
    • Posts 23
    • Points 305

This can happen (and it happened to me !) when you have "SoundFlower" installed on your system !

MacPro Late 2013 - 3,5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32Gb memory - AMD FirePro D700 6144 Mo - MC 2018.12.1 - Working fine :-) [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 12 2011 9:04 AM In reply to

• pukkascott
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 39
    • Points 545

Thanks for the advice.

I have completely uninstalled all Avid programmes and reinstalled. Still suffering the same error during startup of the programme while it is "initializing AVX2 Host".

My tiral period is now down to 25 days and with no help available from Avid during the trial it appears I have to admmit defeat and return to FCP, which kind of defeats Avid's purpose.

My biggest gripe is the lack of information you get with a Mac Error. It gives no information that can be used to solve the problem.

Incidently I was working at a facility on a Mac using MC Nitris v5 and also had Bus Errors causing the Avid programme to crash. Don't think this programme is quite ready to run on such fussy hardware yet. 

• Wed, Jun 15 2011 10:35 AM In reply to

• tchoupiboss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 6 2010
    • Paris, FRANCE
    • Posts 23
    • Points 305

Soundflower has nothing to do with Media Composer !

It can be part of your system if you have "Audio Hijack Pro" installed.

If you have to uninstall "Soundflower", just open Audio Hijack Pro and go to "Install Extras..." in the "Audio Hijack Pro" menu.

You will see that window :

Simply click the Uninstall button... And then Restart your computer. Then open MediaComposer...

MacPro Late 2013 - 3,5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32Gb memory - AMD FirePro D700 6144 Mo - MC 2018.12.1 - Working fine :-) [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 22 2011 4:38 PM In reply to

• pukkascott
    • Not Ranked
    • London
    • Posts 39
    • Points 545

OK I have tried everything I can think of. Did I mention that the error comes up on the Initilize AVX2 Host part of the programme start? Yes probably did.

There doesn't seem to be any clash of software. I have a Black Magic Infinity card, but uninstalling and re-installing that has made no difference.

Avid don't seem to provide any answers and the web is full of hundreds of different "solutions" to the generic Bus Error problem. 

Unfortunately Media Composer v5.5.2 is the only piece of software that comes up with this error so there is something wrong here. Hopefully enough people will experience this for Avid to look into it further.

Very frustrated that I have to invest in FCP without having given Avid a runout.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller