Latest post Thu, Jun 9 2011 12:05 AM by Ra-ey Saleh. 45 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 20 2011 5:49 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

Re: Hopeful news for Symphony

Does Final Cut have secondary correction? If so, I wasn't aware. 

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Fri, May 20 2011 5:58 PM In reply to

People argue that it does because Color is included in the bundle.  Personally, I think it's a stretch to say that FCP has secondary color, but MC doesn't have any grading apps bundled with it and I think that's the crux of the arguement there.

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, May 20 2011 6:11 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

oh, thanks for the clarification. Yeah that's a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

Roundtripping in and out of Color and the ability to apply secondary/advanced corrections in real time in your Avid timeline is a big workflow difference.

I guess both programs will get you where you want to go but it's more of a time saving workflow convenience.

However, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the other non-linear apps will introduce the same type of cc features in the timeline. I hope Avid will be developing ahead of the game and not playing catch up.

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Fri, May 20 2011 6:14 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Well, it sort of does as you can create masks by selecting color in the built in 3 way color corrector. Not really very efficient though.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Fri, May 20 2011 6:38 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 506
    • Points 6,795

In FCP, both the regular CC and the 3-way include an HSL keyer that lets you isolate color. Works more or less like in Symphony, Resolve, Colorista II or Color, but you can stack as many layers as you like.

- Oliver

• Fri, May 20 2011 6:58 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

Back in the old days there were different levels of Media Composer - 1000, 9000, etc. Symphony had all the bells and whistles, and was considered to be the finishing system.  Perhaps Avid can again offer different levels of MC, kind of like making something like secondary CC an add on for those who need it, and let Symphony be the end-all system it once was.

Just a thought . . .

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Fri, May 20 2011 7:03 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 506
    • Points 6,795

Brickwad:
    Perhaps Avid can again offer different levels of MC

Except Avid was failing at that model. That's why Xpress Pro, Xpress DV, Avid Xpress Studio (old version), Avid Free and Liquid were dropped. Same reason all the Pro Tools flavors have largely been merged into Pro Tools 9.

- Oliver

• Fri, May 20 2011 7:08 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

OliverPeters:
    Except Avid was failing at that model

You're right.  How about something more along the line of Plug-ins? The core Media Composer with a menu of optional add-ons such as Secondary CC.

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Fri, May 20 2011 7:24 PM In reply to

Brickwad:
    How about something more along the line of Plug-ins? The core Media Composer with a menu of optional add-ons such as Secondary CC.

That actually sounds a bit like what Apple is doing with FCPX

• Fri, May 20 2011 7:47 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 506
    • Points 6,795

Kenton.VanNatten:

Huh? Where'd you get that? Nothing like that has been stated by anyone.

- Oliver

• Fri, May 20 2011 9:18 PM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:

MC doesn't have any grading apps bundled with it and I think that's the crux of the argument there.

Kenton, technically this isn't the case.  MC has a powerful CC in the Curves and HSL tabs that come as standard.  Most people can do a great job with these alone - certainly for standard grading.  Also, MC does bundle Grading effects with BCC, including a Secondary CC with BCC's 'Color Selected' effect:

http://www.borisfx.com/videos/BCCAVX/Color-Correction.php

All are these are acessible easily within the Avid environment with no need for round-tripping.

That said, it is becoming increasingly difficult to argue the case for having the CC in MC skuttled to make Symphony stand out.  I think I, like most people, believed Avid were going to merge the products.  What Avid have to do is avoid the debacle of their HD introduction with new tools.  First making it only availbe in DS - saying Symphony was never gonna do it; then introducing it into Symphony, saying Adrenalines/MC were never going to be able to do it; then changing their mind's on that.  Most of these decisions were based apparently on hardware limitations, but as Avid becomes all about the software and less about the hardware, these differences are gonna be harder to quanify.  So what does Avid have up their sleeves?  Things sound like they're gonna get very interesting....

Ra-ey

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer 6 Certified User

Media Composer 6 Certified Professional

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Fri, May 20 2011 9:32 PM In reply to

OliverPeters:

Kenton.VanNatten:

Huh? Where'd you get that? Nothing like that has been stated by anyone.

- Oliver

So, for $300 we're going to see everything that is currently available in the full Final Cut Studio box, plus more?  I doubt it.  My Magic 8 Ball said "Signs Point to Yes" when I asked if the $300 FCPX was going to be a standalone version.  

• Fri, May 20 2011 9:44 PM In reply to

Ra-ey Saleh:

Kenton.VanNatten:

MC doesn't have any grading apps bundled with it and I think that's the crux of the argument there.

Kenton, technically this isn't the case.  MC has a powerful CC in the Curves and HSL tabs that come as standard.  Most people can do a great job with these alone - certainly for standard grading.  Also, MC does bundle Grading effects with BCC, including a Secondary CC with BCC's 'Color Selected' effect:

http://www.borisfx.com/videos/BCCAVX/Color-Correction.php

All are these are acessible easily within the Avid environment with no need for round-tripping.

That said, it is becoming increasingly difficult to argue the case for having the CC in MC skuttled to make Symphony stand out.  I think I, like most people, believed Avid were going to merge the products.  What Avid have to do is avoid the debacle of their HD introduction with new tools.  First making it only availbe in DS - saying Symphony was never gonna do it; then introducing it into Symphony, saying Adrenalines/MC were never going to be able to do it; then changing their mind's on that.  Most of these decisions were based apparently on hardware limitations, but as Avid becomes all about the software and less about the hardware, these differences are gonna be harder to quanify.  So what does Avid have up their sleeves?  Things sound like they're gonna get very interesting....

Sorry, I did sort of misspeak on that.  

MC has great color correction capabilities, coupled with BCC and the Paint effect.  My biggest beef being that the internal scopes don't update in real-time and you can't playout the entire sequence in color correction mode.  But, I guess what I should've said is that MC doesn't include some formerly $25K+ grading software that was purchased and clunked into a suite.  

When Apple bought and included Color in the FCS a few years ago suddenly everyone was expected to have it and know it, because it was implied that you couldn't properly Online a show unless you had Color.  (Where we all these FinalTouch enthusiasts prior to Apple purchasing it?)

Personally, I've never used Color - never even heard of it (or FinalTouch) before Apple bought it, but I don't do much grading other than the basic stuff you would do in any project.

• Fri, May 20 2011 9:46 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Kenton.VanNatten:
    My Magic 8 Ball said "Signs Point to Yes" when I asked if the $300 FCPX was going to be a standalone version.  

Same here. My guess is that the other apps will be available as a separate purchase. Makes more sense since most FCP users don't need Color.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Fri, May 20 2011 9:50 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Kenton.VanNatten:
    My biggest beef being that the internal scopes don't update in real-time and you can't playout the entire sequence in color correction mode.

You should be using an external scope so you know what is coming out. :-0

As for playing the entire sequence, if I'm understanding you correctly, you are just missing the secret step. If you map the button that loops play in trim mode, it will actually play out past the shot you are on in the Color Corrector. Not intuitive, but it has been there all along and is actually in the documentation.

I have it mapped to Shift + L

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

Page 2 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller