Latest post Thu, Jun 9 2011 12:05 AM by Ra-ey Saleh. 45 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (46 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, May 15 2011 6:01 PM

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Hopeful news for Symphony

At the Editors' Lounge on Friday we were told that Avid will continue working on ways to differentiate between MC and Symphony. This is a very positive sign for us.

Hopefully this also puts to bed the "let's merge MC & Symphony" chant.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Sun, May 15 2011 7:21 PM In reply to

• Brickwad
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Simsbury, CT
    • Posts 950
    • Points 11,625

Re: Hopeful news for Symphony

That does sound positive.  Let's hope they follow through.

1 MC4 Nitris DX on 12 core 2.66 mac pro 6 Gigs of Ram, 2 Symphony Nitris DX on eight core mac pro with 12 gig ram, 3 MC7 on Mac Pro, IMAC, and Macbook... [view my complete system specs]

WWLD?

• Sun, May 15 2011 7:36 PM In reply to

That depends on which ways they differentiate the products.  In other words, what other ways are they going to limit MC?

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, May 15 2011 7:47 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

It didn't come across as limiting MC (And recent developments should let you know that) instead, it sounds like more targeted  development for Symphony. 

Best part is, I didn't ask the question. But it gave me a chance to say "see, I'm not the only one!" ;-)

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Mon, May 16 2011 4:41 AM In reply to

Very interesting.  Will be good to see what transpires, though it will be hard to imagine what they can add to Symphony that people aren't gonna want in MC - especially as soon as FCPX/Adobe do it (i.e. 3D Finishing).

Terence, you gonna post the event online as normal?

Ra-ey

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer 6 Certified User

Media Composer 6 Certified Professional

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Mon, May 16 2011 5:12 AM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Ra-ey Saleh:

Unfortunately Avid doesn't want tech previews videotaped. :-(

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Mon, May 16 2011 5:24 AM In reply to

TCurren:

Ra-ey Saleh:

Unfortunately Avid doesn't want tech previews videotaped. :-(

Noooooo, really?  Oh well, must have been cool to see.  Heard the NAB preview of the 3D tools was cool.  Have to wait and see...

Ra-ey

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Mon, May 16 2011 5:14 PM In reply to

• Haze
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 764
    • Points 10,205

TCurren:
    Avid will continue working on ways to differentiate between MC and Symphony.

If they EOL Symphony there will be a huge difference between MC and Symphony.

Avid DS 11 | Z800, Symphony 6.5 | HP xw 8600, MC 6.5 | HP Z400, Unity Storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 17 2011 5:05 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,618
    • Points 223,315
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

As terry said, Avid is working to differenciate all the editing products.  I can't disclose any more than that but I can say that we have a roadmap for Symphony.     For the last 3 years, we have been cranking as many features in all of the professional editors to remain competitive and now we're looking to differentiate each of them (MC, Symphony and NewsCutter). 

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, May 19 2011 4:21 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

Sounds promising... nice to hear that Symphony development hasn't been abandoned.

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Thu, May 19 2011 9:32 PM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:

That depends on which ways they differentiate the products.  In other words, what other ways are they going to limit MC?

If Avid feels it is still economicallly viable to continue to differentiate the products, they need to do it in a way that does not create the perception of the "haves" (Symphony) versus the "have-nots" (MC).  Confused   A prime example is secondary color correctin.   At this point in the evolution of the technology, secondary CC should be a feature in an editing program like MC.    If Avid continues to limit secondary color correction to Symphony, a lot a MC users are going to find FCP a lot more attractive.

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, May 19 2011 11:05 PM In reply to

• Haze
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 764
    • Points 10,205

Terry Snyder:
     they need to do it in a way that does not create the perception of the "haves" (Symphony) versus the "have-nots" (MC).  

There's no end to MC users wanting Symphony features built into MC.   Don't all of us want it all?

If Avid put Symphony's CC toolset into MC then MC users would rejoice.  If Avid then put DS' node based compositing tools into Symphony in order to differentiate Symph and MC the Symphony users would rejoice.  The very next day MC users would complain that Avid needs to put Symphony's node based effects tools into MC or else they might as well jump over to FCP.  Insert any feature not currently availble on MC into this model and repeat the cycle.  It's an endless loop.

Avid DS 11 | Z800, Symphony 6.5 | HP xw 8600, MC 6.5 | HP Z400, Unity Storage [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 19 2011 11:28 PM In reply to

Terry/Haze,

You've both hit the nail on the head.  It's gonna be increasingly difficult to differentiate without annoying some people and yet keeping up with what's other NLEs are doing.  The Secondary CC is such a long-standing MC request that it's embarrassing.  There's no reason now for it NOT to be in MC.  And I'd LOVE a Compositing Mode in Symphony.  For me, that alone would be worth the Symphony price, but then the DS guys are gonna get annoyed.
    I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing what Avid have in mind for MC and Symphony.

Ra-ey

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Fri, May 20 2011 2:04 AM In reply to

• C.A.M.
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 13 2009
    • RTVF - DALLAS
    • Posts 45
    • Points 635

Perhaps far in out future, Symphony 7 will let you match back to precomputes like titles and imported material with alpha. 

Actually I think that is going to be Symphony Plus XL Extreme X. 

Worth it? 

Maybe. 

Symphony Nitris DX, Composer Nitris DX, MC Soft [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 20 2011 11:06 AM In reply to

Ra-ey Saleh:
    It's gonna be increasingly difficult to differentiate without annoying some people and yet keeping up with what's other NLEs are doing.

That's the key distinction.   It's not about envy, it's about offering competitive features at each performance level.   Avid should certainly offer higher end features and performance in their higher end products.   But it would be folly to withhold certain features from MC if other competing editing systems are going to offer them.   MC is not in competition with Symphony and DS.  It's in competition with FCP, Premier, et al...    If Avid wants to protect the Symphony "brand" at the expense of MC, that is their prerogative.   But is it a smart business decision?   I suppose it depends on how many units of MC they sell versus Symphony, and what is most profitable.  But the bottom line is: Avid must keep MC competitive or users are going to abandon MC...and the vast majority of MC users are NOT going to trade up to Symphony.  They are going to leave Avid for Apple, Adobe, and other companies that are willing to add the features needed to stay competitive.   If Avid allows that to happen, then that would be folly... 

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

Page 1 of 4 (46 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller