Latest post Tue, May 17 2011 9:54 PM by hbrock. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 12 2011 6:23 AM

• BDogBogo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 12 2011
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Moved to New Drive - Relink Problem

Okay, it's about impossible to find just a simple "How to move to another drive" tutorial on the internet, so this is my last resort. I'm hoping that someone here may help me get to the bottom of this. It would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the story:

I'm in grad school, and the school runs on an ISIS server, where we edit everything. The semester's done and I copied everything (and I mean EVERYthing) to my external Avid drive. Opened Avid, everything's offline and still looking for the files on the school's server. No surprise there.

Now I know that moving files is a big no-no in general, but I had no choice. The school has since wiped the server clean. I have what I have.

What I've done so far:

I've been told in the past to create a new bin and "link to AMA Volume" for the video files we shot (we shoot on Sony EX1s). I re-link the folders and bam. Content starts refreshing... Well, at least the files from the raw footage.

Everything that isn't raw footage can't relink this way: Sound effects, music, and footage re-exported through another application (there are 4 shots that we treated in After Effects, exported out as XDCAM HD Quicktimes). 

How do I re-link ALL of these files. The bins all say the original server path.

Further, is there a basic way to move from one drive to another? I do this process all the time now because of school and plan to copy the drives to redundant backups in the future.

Is there a common way to do this so ALL files relink to a new drive? I've tried everything I know.

Any thoughts are welcome. I love you all already.Stick out tongue

B

iMac 3.6 GHz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM OSX Version 10.6.6 Avid Media Composer v5.0.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 12 2011 6:31 AM In reply to

• BDogBogo
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Re: Moved to New Drive - Relink Problem

Just to add more details.

System profile:

• iMac 3.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    • 4GB RAM
    • OSX Version 10.6.6
    • Avid Media Composer v5.0.0
    • All project data on a G-Tech 1TB FireWire 800 RAID drive.

Footage shot on Sony EX1

Additional footage added from After Effects (gun flashes/nifty looking VFX)

iMac 3.6 GHz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM OSX Version 10.6.6 Avid Media Composer v5.0.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 12 2011 6:43 AM In reply to

• BDogBogo
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Some more things I have tried.

1. I read in the Avid Editing 4th Edition by Focal Press to "Load Media Database" Clicked that, no result.
    2. Read in another forum here (http://community.avid.com/forums/p/64082/393368.aspx) to "trash the 2 media database files in OMFI MediaFiles, or Avid Mediafiles\MXF\x (where x = a number.) "
    No luck with both.

• Thu, May 12 2011 9:33 AM In reply to

The key is understandingt he relationship between the media on your system and your clips and sequences.

Clips can of course have a relationship to more than one type of media. For example you can have an HD clip that you transcode to SD. You will have a new clip linked to the new media but you could link the old clip to the new SD media or even the new clip back to the old HD media.

This is all doen in the re-link command.

This also applies to sequences as well.

Moving media files manually isn't a problem eitehr and we do it every day in our facility. But you have to understand the structure and how Avid works with them to ensure you get the result you need.

So re-linking with the correct setting should restore your media IF the media files are in the right structure and accessible by Avid. Trashing the media databases is a useful process after manually moving media files as it encourages MC to rebuild the databases and reflect the current status of media files in those folders.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Thu, May 12 2011 6:58 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,110
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

The key thing you're missing is that the file structure for media on a ISIS or Unity is slightly different than the one used for local storage.  Local structure is Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 (or any other folder starting with a number).  You'll notice that there's another folder that is your workstation name in the shared folder structure.  Get your files moved out of that folder and into the "1" folder and your media should come back online.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Thu, May 12 2011 7:51 PM In reply to

Or, rename the folder "ComputerName1.1" to "1".  If the media doesn't relink automatically, you can trash the "msm" database file(s).

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, May 12 2011 8:56 PM In reply to

• BDogBogo
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Thank you everyone for your insightful responses.Smile

After starting each session, we are advised to switch the settings in Avid to reflect the server only, and not the workstation. So fortunately nothing was lost on an actual computer in the editing labs.

I was able to somewhat solve the problem by selecting the problematic clips in my bins and "batch-import..." them. It went through the import process again, processing each file, but after the wait everything was fixed. All edit points in my timelines were correct and filters carried over as well. *Phew!

In the future, what is the "correct process" for transferring a project to an external drive for backup or continuing an edit?

Can anyone point out a great resource that explains the world of media vs. clips, etc? This seems like it would be easy to understand, but everyone (and I mean everyone) that I've spoken to has problems with this, even some Avid veterans that have been users of the application for many years.

If you know of a good reference, I would be happy to forward it along to my classmates to avoid these issues in the future.

Thanks again for chiming in. I knew I came to the right place.

You rock Yes

B

• Thu, May 12 2011 10:51 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,110

Seems like something that your instructor's should have taught you...

The manual is a good place to start.  It explains the relationship between your bins/projects and media as well as what happens when you consolidate or transcode media.

Short version: your project contains the bins and sequences.  Those are merely pointers to your actual media files.  The media files are much larger and almost always stored in a different location than your boot drive.  In your case the media files (and possibly the project files) were stored on the ISIS.  You can use the Media Tool in Media Composer to view your media and see where it's located.  If it's all in one place you could simply copy that folder onto a local drive and chances are it will all come back online without any intervention from you (assuming you're not moving from ISIS to a local storage structure).  The safe way is to Consolidate your media which is simply a way for the Avid to make copies of your media files and put them in another location for you and link the clips in your bins to the media in the new location.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, May 17 2011 9:38 PM In reply to

• BDogBogo
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 5
    • Points 65

Thanks for the reply (sorry for this delayed response).

So to recap what I knew before:

• Avid's "clips" are just reference files that point to actual "media" files on the computer. Just like every editing system out there: Final Cut, Premiere, etc.
    • The problem is when the move happens, Avid has problems because now the "clips" in the bins can't find the files that they were previously pointing at, because they moved.
    • Avid must be told to find the new files somehow.

So the simple answer to this is to use the Media Tool? Also, when you say "Consolidate," is that referring to a command in the media tool or different software altogether?

Thanks for your tips. Sorry for being a noob. This will help many confused Avid users.

All we want is a button that says "Hey Avid! The media was moved to here! Now work!" Stick out tongue

• Tue, May 17 2011 9:42 PM In reply to

BDog:

If you're working in a stand alone environment, whenever you move associated media files from one drive to another, you must rebuild the media database files to update the system on the new locations. But first, make sure you have followed the Media Folder Management ground rules:

1) The "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF media) and the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder (for OMF media if you have any) MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, never inside any other folders or the system will not find the media.

2) The folder names must always be the exact factory default names listed above (minus the quotes) or the system will not find the media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

To rebuild the media database, quit the application. Then, from each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database" also identified as "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb" . If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, May 17 2011 9:54 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,110

You can Consolidate clips and/or sequences.  Consolidate is on the Clip menu or you'll see it in the pop up menu if you right click on your selection.

One major difference between Avid and FCP and Premiere (and others) is that Avid expects the media to be inside of the Avid MediaFiles (or OMFI MediaFiles) folder at the root (topmost) level of a drive.  If it's in that folder, it's not your problem and it will be found automatically.  The other programs (or using AMA) allows you to put your media anywhere you please, but it's your responsibility to find it if you move it.

Finally, if you're moving from shared storage to local storage you need to move your media files up one level so they're not inside a folder named after your workstation so they can be found automatically.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller