Latest post Tue, Apr 19 2011 11:56 AM by Dean Murray. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 13 2011 8:16 AM

• TVPROD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 3 2010
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 25
    • Points 405

New Final Cut

Hi there,

Here we are... New final cut. A lot of news, but I will stay on Avid for a long time I think.We also have new tools now with 5.5, but maybe Avid, you should develop some same ideas, like :

- 64 bits !

- multicores and CUDA/GPU acceleration

- no more render bar (background rendering while editing)

- no more transcoding (yes we have AMA, but...)

- better use of waveforms for audioediting

- better color correction (not like Color, but maybe like Symphony in Media Composer ?)

Avid Media Composer and Symphony on MACS (5.5, 6) with Mojos and Blackmagic cards / Caldigit SAS storage / Resolve for grading [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 13 2011 9:03 AM In reply to

• alara
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Madrid. Spain
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,395

Re: New Final Cut

I will definitely stay on avid, but I am happy to know Final Cut is pushing hard. That means Avid will have to fight with new enhancements. For example importing or exporting while editing.

For jobs: Media composer 5.0.3.7r with a mojo sdi on a Mac intel Pro 3 GHz. 4 GB RAM External storage: 2.5 TB sata. Mac OS 10.6.8 As a teacher... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 13 2011 9:41 AM In reply to

Yes the background Render is a great plus.

Avid can up the game by adding Background Import (with optional preview) to run as a background process building media that is then "dropped" online when complete

And the same for exporting. Queue based selection of content and then send it off for background exporting as specified.

We really need features that help streamline the workflows and to appeal to clients minimise those long waits and progress bars while they see their charge clock ticking by.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Wed, Apr 13 2011 11:33 AM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 928
    • Points 10,800

I heard about the rumors but didn't find anything about a new FCP release...

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Wed, Apr 13 2011 12:04 PM In reply to

• alara
    • Not Ranked
    • Madrid. Spain
    • Posts 109
    • Points 1,395

Bloersch:

I heard about the rumors but didn't find anything about a new FCP release...

There has been a presentation: 

http://www.photographybay.com/2011/04/12/final-cut-pro-user-group-supermeet-liveblog/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+PhotographyBay+%28Photography+Bay%29It 

You can also look at other thread, in the off topic forum, which tells a really annoying story about Apple forbidding other partners (avid...) to share the event:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/95639.aspx

For jobs: Media composer 5.0.3.7r with a mojo sdi on a Mac intel Pro 3 GHz. 4 GB RAM External storage: 2.5 TB sata. Mac OS 10.6.8 As a teacher... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 13 2011 1:00 PM In reply to

alara:
    http://www.photographybay.com/2011/04/12/final-cut-pro-user-group-supermeet-liveblog/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+PhotographyBay+%28Photography+Bay%29It

I actually found pictures seven through ten more distressing than the feature set.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Wed, Apr 13 2011 2:55 PM In reply to

• Sam Z
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 25 2008
    • Posts 70
    • Points 945

Avid has already said that MC 5.5 will be the last 32bit release. Many of these "new" features (quotes because Vegas & Premiere already have a lot of them) are made possible by 64bit. Once you can address more RAM and multithread all of the processors/cores in your computer you can do a lot more tasks at the same time (read in the background). So I would expect to see a lot of these same features in MC 6 when it comes out.

Where Apple has an advantage is that because they only make FCP for OS X they can tap into things like CoreImage, CoreAudio, CoreVideo, etc. But Avid, much like Adobe, make software that works on Mac & PC and thus they need to find another way to get the speed.

People have been predicting this feature set from Apple for months now, so I'm pretty sure Avid hasn't been caught off guard by any of it (except maybe the price).

• Thu, Apr 14 2011 5:14 AM In reply to

• Brian
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 56
    • Points 760

We also shouldn't forget FCP's other new important feature... its only $299.

(and that had nothing to do with being 64-bit.)

Mac Pro, 12-core Westmere, 2.66 GHz, 16GB, 4.5TB RAID, OSX Lion 7.2, Media Composer 5.5.3, 27" LED Cinema Display, Matrox Mini 02, 20" JVC Broadcast... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 14 2011 8:14 AM In reply to

• Paddywack
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Winchester, England.
    • Posts 299
    • Points 3,490

http://player.vimeo.com/video/22341718

This really gives the low down on what is new in FCP X. I have to admit that their ground up approach to redesigning the timeline with flexible and "magnetic" tracks and some of the auto features such as the colour matching near the end of the demo are very impressive.

Shows what you can do if you don't care about a grumbly user base moaning about interface changes! It could be an interesting summer.

Media Composer V8.8 MX02LE running Win 10 Pro 64bit on PC 12 core 3.5Ghz HP z820 with 120Gb memory, NVidia K5000 with 6Tb Sata plus Apple MacPro 15"... [view my complete system specs]

Paddywack Productions Ltd. Freelance editing in the UK

• Thu, Apr 14 2011 8:22 AM In reply to

Paddywack:
    Shows what you can do if you don't care about a grumbly user base moaning about interface changes!

Apple haven't cared about the user base for years, just the profit.

Media Composer 6.5.3 - QT 7.7.4 - Gigabyte X58R-UD3R - Core i7 930 - Quadro FX1800 (310.90) - 12GB RAM - Win 7 64 bit SP1- 150GB OS - 300GB Data - 2x1... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 14 2011 9:20 PM In reply to

• TaT
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 44
    • Points 565

I've looked at the FCPX SuperMeet presentation twice and...

In my opinion + for:

background rendering, background ingest and export, new CC tool, 64 bit and you can move position? bar at clip timeline level not just only at timeline ruler area...

but from first look big - for

interface changes (colorful "candy" look - not for long editing sessions, awful magnetic timeline animations, mice driven, "consumer app" feel), crappy timewarp effect as demonstrated, no track names and it seems like you have to learn how to use completly new app!!!

next is HUGE amount of ? for

multicamera mode functionality, project and plug-ins compatibility, audio meters and tools, video and audio built-in effects, realtime capabilities, effect editor look and feel, empty timeline effect placement/stacking possibility (there was no way in previous FCP versions), where are IN and OUT points markers? and so on...

BTW: Apple implemented submaster/nested track and redesigned fit to fill, and replace edit own technique, but I don't think better than in MC, and original syncing app Singular PluralEyes seems to me that has more options than FCPX syncing tool...

and last but not least

+/- price     ---->    + 299$  but  - for no Motion, Color, Compressor, DVD Studio authoring software

Generally, I'm very confused about FCPX changes... but fortunately this is not my, quite happy MC user, problem... but only for me as a current/future FCP user...

TT

Mac Pro (Late 2013) 6 Core 3.5GHz, Avid MC 2018.12.3, 64GB RAM, D500, OS 10.13.6 *** PC X99 mobo 6 Core 4.2GHz, Avid MC 2018.12.3, 64GB RAM, GTX 970... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 14 2011 10:49 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,682
    • Points 224,130
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

A few important points IMO....

Apple introduced some cool stuff......    They've clearly got a strategy they're executing.

The community, however, has lots of questions about where this is going and whether it’s for them as seen not only at the event itself but the chatter after and on many of the online forums.

Avid hasnt wavered from our strategy: we're committed to the professional customer and we'll make the best products for that demanding market and its requirements.  That wont change...

Plus you dont get "me" with Apple.... :)

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Fri, Apr 15 2011 12:07 AM In reply to

Marianna:

Plus you dont get "me" with Apple.... :)

Marianna

YesYes

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Fri, Apr 15 2011 5:08 AM In reply to

• Glans
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 639
    • Points 9,815

I think that the new way of editing in the timeline is a bit strange, especially since it's so different. I don't think it's Imovie Pro though, it looks very fluid and easy to do the things that we normally hate, like what the magnetic timeline does. It's very time consuming to move around clips of audio or video to make some room for an edit, especially if you're on a large timeline with alot of stuff. I also like the auditioning tool to test different cuts. I mean, that is what editors do with directors, try things all the time. To have the multiple choices saved within the timeline is very powerful.

I think that one reason Avid Media Composer haven't been improving as much as we would have wanted might be that they stick with the old timeline thinking. When FCP now moved away from that, they opened up a lot of workflow options and pretty obvious solutions that might not work as well in a traditional timeline.

I mean, you do not loose accuracy as I feared when first looking at it, it's all just about learning how to use it.

* Intel core i7 (3,7 Ghz), 16gb RAM, GeForce GTX 580 3gb - workstation. * Macbook Pro Retina 15 (late 2013) 16gb Ram - Laptop * DeckLink Extreme3D with... [view my complete system specs]

64 bit, GPU acceleration, better AMA, better exports with GPU acceleration, better grading with true secondary and lift gamma gain, higher resolutions (4K, 5K etc.) and a video stream online (for directors being far away on the phone or skype).

That would blow ANY competition away and it will be future-proof MC for a long time.

• Sat, Apr 16 2011 3:00 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 575
    • Points 6,805

I just watched the Apple FCP X presentation from NAB. All I could say was W-O-W. There is some really, really cool new ways of doing things and they have come up with some really great new interface ideas. But . . . there's a lot more that has not been explained and it'll be interesting to see if any of FCP previous weaknesses have been addressed and if it's more robust in data management etc. I guess we'll know a lot more in about a month or so . . .

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller