Latest post Thu, Apr 7 2011 12:05 PM by Chepal. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 7 2011 8:51 AM

• konx
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 13 2010
    • Zurich
    • Posts 10
    • Points 130

Big troubles with AMA and XDCAM HD

Hi there,

I'm assistant editor for a project shot mainly in XDCAM HD. As we are working with Media Composer 5 we decided to work with AMA and virtual volumes. I copied all the XDCAM HD material from the discs onto a external hard drive (in the original folder- and file structure) and linked all these disc-folders into Avid via "link to AMA Volume". No problems so far. I was able to make subclips, shut down and start the system without any troubles.

Now: on the project there are two editors, working on two other workstation (even in other countries each, which makes everything even more complicated). I gave both of them a 1:1 copy of the original harddrive with all the XDCAM disc-copies. Then both editors tried to open the project and ALL the footage was offline. After a long time of relinking the AMA-virutal-volumes, both were finally able to start working. Now one of the editor came back for a film approval. The hole thing again: everything offline. I relinked everything again, BUT this time it's even worse: after restarting the system, everything is offline again. It takes about a hour daily to relink all the virtual volumes. But as we are that far in the production - and there are (me included) tree persons and workstations working on the project - I'm afraid of transcoding the whole material. 

Does somebody have solved the same problem or has anybody a idea how to defeat this particular issue?

Thanks so much for your help!

All the best

• Thu, Apr 7 2011 11:17 AM In reply to

• Chepal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • germany
    • Posts 537
    • Points 6,285

Re: Big troubles with AMA and XDCAM HD

hi konx,

you need the same drive name and the identical directory- and folderstructure on these drives.

transcoded-dnxhd-files are much easier to handle, better cpu-performance.

che

mac_mc_8, fibre, sata, scsi [view my complete system specs]

peace from germany

• Thu, Apr 7 2011 11:41 AM In reply to

• konx
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 13 2010
    • Zurich
    • Posts 10
    • Points 130

hi che,

thanks a lot for you informations. actually I did use the same drive naame and also identical directory- and folderstructure. the harddrives are 1:1 clones. that's why I really don't understand the troubles avid has...

perhaps you know: if i transcode now, would it be a problem for the other editor to relink the new sequenz to the old AMA material, which has not been transcoded back then? is this possible at all to relink the transcoded sequenz to the old AMA files?

thanks again for you help! I really apreciate it a lot!

• Thu, Apr 7 2011 12:05 PM In reply to

• Chepal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • germany
    • Posts 537
    • Points 6,285

hi konx,

look at the avid knowledge base article: How to Relink via AMA if Media Offline (for XDCAM and P2) [385915]

http://avid.force.com/pkb/LegacySearch?DocId=385915&ssdFilterCommunity15=1408&ssdFilterCommunity13=0&ssdFilterCommunity11=0&ssdFilterCommunity10=368&ssdFilter_SearchKeyWord=AMA&page=1&ssdSearchOperator=1&ssdFilterCommunity3=0&Hilite=AMA

and relinking to ama-origanal is easy: hide the mxf files from the original transcode and make sure all the original clips are online via ama -  clips should relink. good luck

che

mac_mc_8, fibre, sata, scsi [view my complete system specs]

peace from germany

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller