Latest post Mon, Apr 4 2011 12:33 PM by camoscato. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 4 2011 11:49 AM

• Chas Fisher
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 30 2010
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 13
    • Points 175

Urgent need for best project and import settings for dv files

Dear all,

I am still an early AVID user so please bear with me. I have version 5.0.3 on Mac.

A minister has asked me to compile a whole lot of scenes from DVDs for a sci fi oriented church service. She dropped round all the films in m4v (having ripped with handbrake). I tried importing these files direct and it was a disaster.

I have since converted thse to dv using media streamclip and have tried to import them into AVID. However, my project and media settings were all out of whack because 1 hour of dv footage, once imported, took up 300GB.

Could someone please recommend best set-up and import settings so this can stay manageable?

Many thanks!

Chas

Mac OS X 10.6.8, 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB, MC 5.0.3, ATI Radeon HD 5750, 256GB SSD + 500GB hd [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 4 2011 12:10 PM In reply to

Re: Urgent need for best project and import settings for dv files

DV footage is approx 5mins per GB so 60mins of footage should be 12GB or so. Sounds like you have selected and Avid resolution that is much higher than DV. Even uncompressed SD is only 1 min per GB so 60GB or so for an hour.

General advice would don;t be passive in your source content. Do your tests and instruct what format you need things in.

Having the Avid codecs installed on the DVD ripping machine should allow ripping direct to the required Avid codec and a fast import (or AMA) into Avid.

Doing extra encoding to the content won't help with quality.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Apr 4 2011 12:18 PM In reply to

• Chas Fisher
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 30 2010
    • Melbourne
    • Posts 13
    • Points 175

Thanks Pat.

In the next project I will definitely do that.

However, in this instance, would you mind recommending which project and import settings I should use just to do this quick job and keep it manageable?

Mac OS X 10.6.8, 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7, 8GB, MC 5.0.3, ATI Radeon HD 5750, 256GB SSD + 500GB hd [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 4 2011 12:33 PM In reply to

Hi,

If you're in an NTSC country, 30i project, import everything using DV411 resolution.  If you're in a PAL country, 25i project, import everything using DV420 resolution.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller