Latest post Fri, Mar 25 2011 1:27 PM by producer1302. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 23 2011 1:37 PM

Avid DS Timewarp tutorial

Is there anywhere I can find an in depth tutorial on the DS's timewarp effect? I'm just not understanding how to efficiently speed ramp a shot and have it end on specific frame for example. There doesn't seem to be a convenient way to place an anchor point, as with the MC Timewarp effect. I've read over the details on the DS Timewarp effect in the User Guide, but it's not very in depth, and I'd really like to see how an editor typically uses this effect for speed ramps.

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 1:51 PM In reply to

• M-Edit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 29 2009
    • Posts 226
    • Points 2,615

Re: Avid DS Timewarp tutorial

Check "Applying a Variable Speed Based on the Source clip"
    in DS Help.

/mike

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 2:14 PM In reply to

M-Edit:

in DS Help.

/mike

Yeah, that's the same as in the User Guide. But it's weird, because I can't really preview it until I update duration, and it's just guesswork as to how short the clip is going to end up. Typically, when I'm speed ramping a shot, it's already in place in a montage. Say I've got a shot that's a second long as part of a montage. I don't want to lengthen the duration, but I would like to speed it up. For example the shot is a pan to something, but the pan is too slow, and I'd rather have the pan go faster to the object and stop. How can I do that on the DS and keep the shot duration the same? In the MC it's an easy matter of setting the anchor point on the last frame and then adjusting the speed. The last frame stays the exact same and the speed/footage changes up to it, withoutn changing the duration of the shot in the timeline.

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 5:13 PM In reply to

I think there is a video tutorial by Bob Maple. Look under "Tips and Tutorials" or "Videos" at the top of this page.

Igor Ridanovic

www.HDhead.com

Filed under:
  • Wed, Mar 23 2011 5:40 PM In reply to

• slabross
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 938
    • Points 9,690
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid DS

Sylvain Labrosse
    Principal Expert | Services and Customer Success

Avid
    3510 St-Laurent Boulevard
    Montréal, QC H2X 2V2
    Canada
    sylvain.labrosse@avid.com

Create cases online now at  csportal.avid.com 
    It's fast, easy and effective!

We're Avid.  Learn more at www.avid.com  

• Wed, Mar 23 2011 11:04 PM In reply to

producer1302:

M-Edit:

in DS Help.

/mike

Yeah, that's the same as in the User Guide. But it's weird, because I can't really preview it until I update duration, and it's just guesswork as to how short the clip is going to end up. Typically, when I'm speed ramping a shot, it's already in place in a montage. Say I've got a shot that's a second long as part of a montage. I don't want to lengthen the duration, but I would like to speed it up. For example the shot is a pan to something, but the pan is too slow, and I'd rather have the pan go faster to the object and stop. How can I do that on the DS and keep the shot duration the same? In the MC it's an easy matter of setting the anchor point on the last frame and then adjusting the speed. The last frame stays the exact same and the speed/footage changes up to it, withoutn changing the duration of the shot in the timeline.

To answer this thing specifically, once you create a timewarp container, right click on it and select properties. You will see a graph that allows you to manipulate time without changing the length of the shot. The graph inside the properties is very small. Now, with the properties open, click on the marionette button which will take you to the animation editor. You will see very large graphs and be able to edit all timewarp properties with a great deal of precision.

Igor Ridanovic

www.HDhead.com

Filed under:
  • Thu, Mar 24 2011 11:27 AM In reply to

• JPEE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 16 2011
    • Posts 11
    • Points 150

Hi,

have you tried Input Speed? It is a very nice way to define ramps in DS. When you select "show Input frames" you can exactly define  speed at a specific frame. When you define your last frame with 0 speed the clip end with zero speed at the end of your clip. When all frames are used at this point or before you will have a freeze as long as your clip ends up in the timeline. When you have created a ramp with "show Input frames"on and switch it of you can manipulate your curve afterwards and you will always see the coresponding result. There is no need for update duration. Tip: When your masterclip is longer then edited in timeline - put it in a background container before and you will get a "masterclip" as long as your edited clip is.

I hope this helps.

Greetings

Juergen Pertack

• Thu, Mar 24 2011 1:17 PM In reply to

Igor Ridanovic:

To answer this thing specifically, once you create a timewarp container, right click on it and select properties. You will see a graph that allows you to manipulate time without changing the length of the shot. The graph inside the properties is very small. Now, with the properties open, click on the marionette button which will take you to the animation editor. You will see very large graphs and be able to edit all timewarp properties with a great deal of precision.

Thanks. But I know about using the graph and the animation editor for this. The thing is, when I adjust these parameters, there's no "anchor point" as in the MC timewarp. So once I start changing values, both my start and end frames change, so it's pretty much useless to me (I would think it would be useless to most editors because of this, that's why I wanted to see a tutorial to see how others are getting a use out of it).

I haven't had a chance to check out the video tutorial you pointed me to above, but I'm hoping it will make things clearer. I'll check it out by this weekend at the latest.

• Thu, Mar 24 2011 1:55 PM In reply to

• JPEE
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 16 2011
    • Posts 11
    • Points 150

The trick for not changing start and/or end frames - when working with "speed" or "input speed" in DS is - put your clip into a background container. If you do not do this DS is using the total lenght of your existing masterclip.

Greetings

Juergen Pertack

• Thu, Mar 24 2011 6:08 PM In reply to

• Tommyp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 25 2006
    • Ann Arbor, MI
    • Posts 74
    • Points 880
    • Moderator: Avid DS

Here is how I would accomplish this:

1. Place your clip on the timeline with your end frame in place. If you are going to continue the same shot, I lke to razor the clip so as not to affect the rest of the shot.

2. Select the clip and hit "T" to put it into a timewarp container.

3. On the timewarp property page editor, in "mode", select "Position"

4. You now see an animation editor view in the property page. the last keyframe is your target and match frame for exiting the timewarp. The first keyframe is the first keyframe for the begining of the clip on the timeline. Hit the back arrow to go to and select this keyframe.

5. you will see a timecode windoe below that, that i the time code for the clip. you can adjust this in a few ways - Swipe it and move your cursour in circles around it, or manually input numbers, or you can grab the red dot in the viewer and move it around. this you want to move the timecode backwards until you see the frame you want to start on. This will force a sort of "fit to fill"  for the area of the clip you pick with the last frame being a dead match frame for your cut.

Hope that helps. Position can be tricky, but very handy. the best description I have for it is that you can make any frame in your clip hit any frame on the timeline by setting keyframes and telling it what TC. It's  also a great way to ahve smooth motion of footage going forward, then backward.

Tom

Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Mar 25 2011 1:27 PM In reply to

Thanks to everyone for your tips. I'm going to try all of these out this weekend and report back.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller