Latest post Sun, Feb 26 2012 7:24 PM by Randall L. Rike. 63 replies.
Page 4 of 5 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 16 2012 12:28 AM In reply to

Re: xw8400 Upgrade

I guess it is fw 400.  I get the error when it saids ininitailzing media on startup.  Then that error occurs and I have to shut it down.  If I pull the drives out of the firewire and usb port and load avid it starts like this fine.  Maybe i should plug the lacie into the fw in front.

xw8400 4 gigs ram, fx 1500 composer 6.0 Avid DVD, AVID FX windows 7 [view my complete system specs]

RS

• Thu, Feb 16 2012 12:41 AM In reply to

"...  I get the error when it saids ininitailzing media on startup ..."

Two possibilities.  The File System may need to be repaired, or, the media folders may need to be rebuilt.

In Windows Explorer, right-click on each of the external drives and choose "Properties".  Then, "Tools", then "Error Checking/Check Now".  Check both boxes and click on "Start".  This may take several hours.  If there's anything wrong with the file system, this will attempt to repair it.  When both drives are done, cycle power to the computer, and the drives, and report back.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Feb 16 2012 12:42 AM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,140

videosmithlaguna:
    If I pull the drives out of the firewire and usb port and load avid it starts like this fine.

You are not plugging in both the firewire and USB connections from the same device are you?  Often times a device will have both firewire and USB connection capability, but you should only try and connect it with one or the other.  If you are connecting both a firewre and USB device and getting this error, try it one device at a time to determine which device it is causing the error.  Of course I could be reading your post wrong.. LOL.. :-)

Camilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 17 2012 12:37 AM In reply to

Yes it found a few problems on the gdrive and none on the lacie.  I fired it back up and get the same error message when it tried to intialize media. 

xw8400 4 gigs ram, fx 1500 composer 6.0 Avid DVD, AVID FX windows 7 [view my complete system specs]

RS

• Fri, Feb 17 2012 12:49 AM In reply to

Just as a test, rename the Avid MediaFiles folder on that drive (you can just add an "x" to the name), and create some new media there which will recreate the entire folder structure.  A fast way is to "Create Tone Media" from the Audio Tool.  Then, quit out of Avid, delete the two database files, luanch Avid, and see if they can rebuild without error.

If they do, move some of the media from the renamed folder structure to the new folder structure, from "1" to "1' etc.  Again, launch Avid and see if the databases rebuild without error.  If that continues to work, keep moving small amounts of the media until it is all moved, scanned & indexed. Report back.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Fri, Feb 17 2012 6:57 AM In reply to

Well as this bughunt continues I ended up reformatting the drive.  I restarted and then started just the gdrivee and wala it works and it doent show that error.  I then turn on the lacie and the error comes back on.  If i turn off the gdrive and then turn on the lacie, start avid it shows the error message.  This drive only has usb 2 and no firewire.  I can use it for backup of the canon files but i still need it to talk to the avid to import video and graphics.  I wont use it for editing.  Any ideas why this is happening, makes no sense!!!!!  I need a drink now!!!!

RS

Filed under:
  • Fri, Feb 17 2012 7:40 AM In reply to

Hard to say.  All these "Plug 'n' Play" drives can be flakey.

(wwld)

• Fri, Feb 17 2012 7:17 PM In reply to

I will download some new drivers again for the lacie.  When i gt my 4 2gigs for a total of 8 can i put the 4 2gigs in the order that is on the inside of the xw8400 then put the 1 gigs in the empty spaces.  It is such a waste to just throw those away.  I also heard even if they are on a different bank mixing the 2 gigs and 1 gigs sticks slow the system down but that may be a urban legend. 

RS

Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Feb 17 2012 8:04 PM In reply to

Don't mix memory sticks in the banks. They need to be the same size and the same make ideally.

With matched sticks the memory will be used faster. If you have mismatched sticks that gets turned off.

The small gain in RAM size will be lost against slower system speed.

Re the drives. For years I had sme drives that just won't play together well. You get some on line and then when you try and bring the next one on it eitehr doesn't mount or a different one drops off.

We tend to just consolidate to a single array and work from that.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Feb 17 2012 8:14 PM In reply to

Determine if the existing RAM is ECC or not.  Mixing ECC and non-ECC will prevent the system from booting.

(wwld)

• Fri, Feb 17 2012 8:15 PM In reply to

"... I will download some new drivers again for the lacie. ..."

It's not drivers.  The drive either needs to be reformatted or recycled Hmm

(wwld)

• Wed, Feb 22 2012 7:30 PM In reply to

Found 4 1 gig sticks of ram for a good price.  So I already have 4 1 gigs I can just add the other four and have a total of 8.  Will that be enough to run 6.0 and after effects.  I am a hard core editor and just play around with after effects but with all the beautiful prebuilds that are out on the net I am getting jaw dropping after effects that i would have to pay some serious money to get done a few years ago.  I just dont want to put a ton in this machine because it is so old.  What would the performance difference between this and the hz series.  Is it a night and day difference.  It sort like the old ford I have in the drive way.  It runs fine and gets the job done but do I want to spend tons of money to get it perfect or just buy a new car!  Thanks again for all your help!

RS

• Thu, Feb 23 2012 2:15 PM In reply to

• Henders
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 21 2011
    • Posts 1
    • Points 25

Interesting thread... I have an xw8400 that came with Windows XP and MC 3.5 (I think). It was editing DV footage, but now I want it to be able to edit HD from a Canon 305. My colleague is the editor (BBC trained) but is not technical. So I am trying to work out the best upgrade, in order to be able to handle the files from the Canon 305.

Initially wondered about upgrading to Vista, and increasing RAM from 3 to 8GB. However MC5.5 seems to have disappeared suddenly. So now I am working on the Windows 7 Pro 64 bit upgrade of the OS (not certified by AVID but people on this thread report it working ok). Then upgrade to MC6.

Two quick questions - our machine has a USB dongle. If I upgrade the OS, that will presumably wipe everything on the drives. So if I then download the MC 6 upgrade, will the dongle be sufficient to prove we have a previous version?

Second, I see some issues with drivers for Firewire. I was wondering about installing an eSata card, which requires a PCI Express expansion slot. The xw8400 machine seems to have the correct expansion slot. Has anyone else done this?

TIA

Hendrik Ball

www.grand-illusions.com

• Thu, Feb 23 2012 2:58 PM In reply to

I've got 18 x xw8400's running MC v5.5.3 on Win 7 Pro x64.

The dongle will need to be upgraded to run v6.0.

I just put eSATA/FW800 combo cards in two of my xw8400's.

(wwld)

• Sat, Feb 25 2012 11:43 PM In reply to

I upgraded to windows 7 clean install so i backed the old Avid up.  But I just opened up the upgrade and put the old serial number in and it upgraded.  At work the same thing but on an apple.  I just ordered 4 more sticks of ram but I have edited a few things with 4 and it seems fine.  I want to do more cs5 stuff so I will need the extra sticks and they were only 39.95 for 4 sticks with free shipping.  I am still having trouble with the firewire drive.  It is a hard decision to put money into a 4 year old model but it is 64 bit and everything works. I have really only put the $39.95 so for me it was worth it.  A I7 system will run you around 2,000 for a bad ass system.  It just comes down to bucks but I can tell the 64 bit is super fast but i am coming from windows xp pro.Surprise

RS

Page 4 of 5 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller