Latest post Fri, Mar 25 2011 6:10 PM by switthaus. 52 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (53 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 3 2011 2:26 AM

price of upgrade to V5.5

I may have missed the post but I can't find the listed price for upgrading Symphony v5 to v5.5. I have seen various people asking for the price but getting no reply. Is it out there yet ?

• Thu, Mar 3 2011 2:49 AM In reply to

Re: price of upgrade to V5.5

Working on getting you some info, Simon.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Mar 3 2011 3:07 AM In reply to

All versions of symp including 5 to 5.5 is $995.
    Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Mar 3 2011 4:01 AM In reply to

Thanks Larry,  must be something wrapped up in in that $995 worth waiting for....I hope.

• Thu, Mar 3 2011 3:11 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,994
    • Points 37,745

Simon Coldrick:
    must be something wrapped up in in that $995 worth waiting for....I hope.

Nothing that the MC users aren't getting for a fraction of that price. Unless it includes Phrase Find, which I doubt.

This is getting very old. I understand the price difference for buying a Symphony, if you need the few extra features. But in this case, where the Symphony owner gets nothing extra for his upgrade price... very disappointing. :-(

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Thu, Mar 3 2011 7:18 PM In reply to

The reality is that I think most owners will be passing on this one. I can think of quite a few 3rd party tools that will enhance productivity and expand my pallette for less money.

• Thu, Mar 3 2011 11:34 PM In reply to

That said, the Find feature and the Quicktime AMA color level source settings plus the Euphonix support (without Color) makes me want this upgrade.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 3 2011 11:49 PM In reply to

I hate to be a cup half empty kind of a guy- but you could argue that an AMA color level source setting is a feature that was overlooked when AMA was implemented. You might also argue that that the Euphonix Color grading panel was the one panel that Symphony owners truly wanted, not a whole load of twiddly programmable buttons.

• Fri, Mar 4 2011 3:20 AM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

TCurren:
    This is getting very old. I understand the price difference for buying a Symphony, if you need the few extra features. But in this case, where the Symphony owner gets nothing extra for his upgrade price... very disappointing. :-(

Yes I agree. This is totally lame and I can't see how this price difference in upgrades can be justified. I think someone pointed out on another thread how Symphony doesn't even have a few features that MC has because Symphony can't run in software only mode. Totally unacceptable in my opinion...

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Derrick Abeyta | Blu Pixel

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Fri, Mar 4 2011 6:54 AM In reply to

it feels like Avid are killing Symphony through neglect and over-pricing.

• Fri, Mar 4 2011 8:13 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

I wonder what Avid does with the revenue generated from the extra money that the Symphony upgrades bring in. They don't seem to put any of it into Symphony development...

Mac Pro 2013 6 Core 3.5ghz, MC Symphony 8.7, 16GB RAM, D700, OS 10.10.5, Ultrastudio 4K, Pegasus2 R6 12TB [view my complete system specs]

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Fri, Mar 4 2011 10:15 PM In reply to

• Tommyp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 25 2006
    • Ann Arbor, MI
    • Posts 74
    • Points 880
    • Moderator: Avid DS

Simon Coldrick:

it feels like Avid are killing Symphony through neglect and over-pricing.

hmm, where have I heard that before? Oh, yes, it was about DS. Hey Symphony users, welcome to the group!

Tom

• Fri, Mar 4 2011 10:56 PM In reply to

Tommyp:
    where have I heard that before?
    It seems to have been an Avid pricing philosophy since day 1 and not particularly aimed at any group in the Avid stable. Only a couple of years back MC Adrenaline users used were charged up to 3x as much as an MC software user for the same upgrade.

In the same vein.... why is BCC for Symphony so much more expensive than for MC which is and was already so much more than for Pro?    Got to love those grey suits.

• Fri, Mar 4 2011 11:16 PM In reply to

• Abeyta
    • Not Ranked
    • Phoenix
    • Posts 198
    • Points 2,465

So MC5 upgrade to 5.5 is $150 and Symphony is $995? If so, that's a huge difference!!

Phoenix, Arizona

www.blupixelpost.com

• Sat, Mar 5 2011 7:28 AM In reply to

can anyone list a new feature that has been added exclusively to Symphony since V3.0 to justify the inflated upgrade price?

Page 1 of 4 (53 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller