Latest post Tue, Mar 8 2011 12:42 PM by Glans. 40 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 6 2011 11:57 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: New MacBookPro uses AMD Radeon graphics cards

The current Hardware Requirements state that MacBook Pros are not qualified for HD capture but certain PC laptops with 4-core i7 processors are qualified.  Now there's a new 4-core i7 MacBook Pro available but it hasn't be qualified yet.  So, it's too soon to tell.  And as far as the i/O Express, it won't work until MC 5.5 is released...next week.

But isn't HD baseband capture so "last year" anyway?

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Mon, Mar 7 2011 1:37 AM In reply to

• oc1285
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 16 2011
    • Posts 5
    • Points 105

I guess that I should've mentioned how I'd be using the computer.  It's just for the home and editing footage from a Canon VIXIA HV40 right now.  Anything else that I do with it would be offline.  

I've been taking Avid classes and want to have a version of it at home to become more familiar with the program.  I'm trying to get out of a dying area of the film business and into something that I enjoy, which is post.    

From the comments, I see that the MacBook Pro is definitely not an option.  A desktop unit is fine with me.  Again, though, the question remains - do any of the current MACs qualify to run MC 5.0?  

Comparing the Mac Minimum Requirements from the Avid site to the latest 21.5" iMac specs (http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html), I can't tell if the Intel Core i3 or i5 processors in the iMac specs are compatible with MC 5 since the Avid specs list Intel Dual or Intel Dual Core.      

Then, there's the still the graphics card issue.  Avid specs require a NVIDIA GeForce family card and the iMacs are using ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory (with the option to upgrade to ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory).

I do appreciate everyone's input, it's been helpful in the weeding out process.  I've been able to see what won't work with MC 5.0, I just need to find out what will.

• Mon, Mar 7 2011 3:14 AM In reply to

oc1285:
    From the comments, I see that the MacBook Pro is definitely not an option

The particular MBP you spoke of in your first post is not an option.  This does not mean that all MBPs are out of the question.  I have used my wife's 15" MBP (purchased 1 yr ago) with MC v5.0.3 and it's been fine.  

oc1285:
    I've been able to see what won't work with MC 5.0, I just need to find out what will.

It's an odd time for anyone to say because the new MBPs were just released and that always turns the Avid world on its ear and also MC v5.5 is due to be released on Tues.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Mar 7 2011 5:53 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320

That nVidia restriction applies to PCs not Macs.  All Macs that have shipped with ATI Radeon cards with sufficient memory, Core Image and Open GL capability have been qualified.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Mar 7 2011 7:13 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

oc1285:

From the comments, I see that the MacBook Pro is definitely not an option. 

What ??

I´ve been using the one in my profile for HD capturing and previewing using my Matrox Mini Max for a year now

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Mar 7 2011 4:22 PM In reply to

So, to be sure, are you saying the new macbook pro's, with the Radeon cards, are qualified to run MC?

ZatoichiATL Avid Xpress DV Dell Dimension Window XP
  • Mon, Mar 7 2011 4:37 PM In reply to

ZatoichiATL:
    are you saying the new macbook pro's, with the Radeon cards, are qualified to run MC?

I don't think that's what he's saying at all.  Only Avid can say what is qualified to run MC or not.  

What he is saying is that the previous models of MBP that existed prior to last week's Apple announcement work fine with ATI Radeon cards and those older MBPs were qualified.  

The truth is that because the new MBP machines were just released, Avid has to now put them through their qualifications tests in order to say they are Avid Qualified.  So, until that happens the new MBPs that were released last week are not Avid Qualified at this time.  

It is against Terms of Use for any of us to speculate if, when and which specific machines will be qualified.  

• Mon, Mar 7 2011 8:02 PM In reply to

As hbrock is the moderator of this forum, is he not qualified to answer that?  If not, does Avid release on offical statement giving the new macbook pros a thumbs up or down?

ZatoichiATL Avid Xpress DV Dell Dimension Window XP
  • Mon, Mar 7 2011 8:11 PM In reply to

ZatoichiATL:
    As hbrock is the moderator of this forum, is he not qualified to answer that?

The Moderators on these forums are just volunteers.  They are not employed by Avid.  Avid employees have a distinct "Avid" badge under their username.

ZatoichiATL:
    does Avid release on offical statement giving the new macbook pros a thumbs up or down?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/LegacySearch?DocId=267087#mac

Note the clickable link that says "Qualified Macs" in the far right column.  

• Tue, Mar 8 2011 7:33 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320

Avid usually finds out about new Macs when we do, which is to say they don't have any advance notice.  Occasionally in the past Apple has done something that affects how Avid software runs on Macs.  For example, a few years ago they added a chip to the Firewire circuitry that made it appear to Avid hardware that another device was using the same Firewire bus and that's a no no for DNA hardware.  So Avid had to devise a fix and DNA hardware (Adrenaline and Mojo) didn't work with those new Macs until the fix was developed, tested and released.  Recently, the new Mac Pros that were recently released are the first Macs that boot into 64-bit mode as a default.  Avid software has to run in 32-bit mode (although 5.5 will be the last 32-bit release).  Early adopters found that their dongle didn't show up and that the application tossed up errors until the 64-bit issue was addressed.

So, to make a long story short: can we expect similar models to be qualified in the future?  Sure.  Are there issues that may need to be addressed?  I don't know and besides I can't speculate.

• Tue, Mar 8 2011 12:42 PM In reply to

• Glans
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 640
    • Points 9,830

Talking about 64-bit. I recon that the new macbook pros are running at 64-bit. So with 8gb of RAM version 5.5 of Avid will still only use 4gb, right? So when version 6.0 or whatever of Avid comes out in 64-bit form, we will be able to use the entire 8gb of RAM on the same Macbook Pro as we have now? (version 6 speculation isn't really speculation as it's stated that version 5.5 is the last in 32 architecture).

Also, not really sure, but is RAM the only thing 64-bit opens up to? Or are there other beauties of it? Not really talking about the next Avid but 64-bit in general.

(Also, I think that the policy to not let companies know before hand on the specs of upcoming Mac's is bad. I mean, yes, they want it a secret, but the companies could sign a non-disclosure agreement not to give out those specs. Still, it might in this case have made version 5.5 qualified on the new Macbook Pro's on the same day as the Macbooks release, even adding support for thunderbolt into the structure of version 5.5. I think that Apple would hold a much better ground if they did that. Their strategy of being so closed, both in development and in their hardware/software is slow suicide. More and more people know more and more about the technical aspects of computers. Most know how to change hardware and upgrading, which might lead Apple to loosen their written in stone-like products.People want to be able to upgrade for themselves. There's alot of people making a fuzz around changing harddrives and RAM in the macbook pros, just because of the fact they are scared of Apples doom over them if they do. On any PC doing this by yourself is common practice.
    Apple's strategy works good for consumers, not for professionals, that's my opinion.)

* Intel core i7 (3,7 Ghz), 16gb RAM, GeForce GTX 580 3gb - workstation. * Macbook Pro Retina 15 (late 2013) 16gb Ram - Laptop * DeckLink Extreme3D with... [view my complete system specs]

64 bit, GPU acceleration, better AMA, better exports with GPU acceleration, better grading with true secondary and lift gamma gain, higher resolutions (4K, 5K etc.) and a video stream online (for directors being far away on the phone or skype).

That would blow ANY competition away and it will be future-proof MC for a long time.

Page 3 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller