Latest post Tue, Mar 8 2011 12:42 PM by Glans. 40 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 2 2011 9:52 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 506
    • Points 6,795

Re: New MacBookPro uses AMD Radeon graphics cards

Glans:
    The CUDA isn't just for Avid.
    CUDA provides limited benefits with Premiere Pro. Scaling and specifically coded effects, like color correction. The same machine with ATI generally works nearly as well.

Glans:
    Macbook Pro never had a quadro, it has always been GeForce and now when they switched it's a Radeon card
    It was ATI Radeon in the previous PowerBooks. It just depends on Apple's deals and their long-range internal roadmaps. That's the danger in getting too specific with hardware. It changes.

Glans:
    The HP EliteBook doesn't have the option to ahve anything other then the Quadro series.
    This is incorrect. You have both options with HP.

- Oliver

• Wed, Mar 2 2011 11:35 PM In reply to

• Glans
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 639
    • Points 9,815

I questioned why apple puts a gaming card in their pro modells...  Radeon and Geforce are gaming cards, FirePro and Quadro are professional cards tweaked for high performance of professional software, including Avid.

That question remains...

* Intel core i7 (3,7 Ghz), 16gb RAM, GeForce GTX 580 3gb - workstation. * Macbook Pro Retina 15 (late 2013) 16gb Ram - Laptop * DeckLink Extreme3D with... [view my complete system specs]

64 bit, GPU acceleration, better AMA, better exports with GPU acceleration, better grading with true secondary and lift gamma gain, higher resolutions (4K, 5K etc.) and a video stream online (for directors being far away on the phone or skype).

That would blow ANY competition away and it will be future-proof MC for a long time.

• Wed, Mar 2 2011 11:44 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 506
    • Points 6,795

Glans:
    I questioned why apple puts a gaming card in their pro modells...  Radeon and Geforce are gaming cards
    It's now only Radeon cards. Apple computers are mass-market products designed to work for a wide range of uses. You are free to buy a Quadro card if you like, which is also available from the Apple Store on the Mac Pros as an add-on option. Like all companies, they cut deals with their suppliers, which are most advantageous to them. The ATI cards in the laptops and in the desktops are more than adequate for all current edit, grading and effects solutions. This includes being qualified for DaVinci and Smoke for Mac.

- Oliver

• Thu, Mar 3 2011 2:13 PM In reply to

• Glans
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 639
    • Points 9,815

I wasn't talking about the Mac Pro, I was talking about the Macbook Pro...  it doesn't have any options for graphic cards.
    And It's just wrong to say that it's more then adaquate for work with "insert stuff here", a quadro card or FirePro is much better tweaked for the softwares you use. Under it's shell it's the same chip as it's gaming card brothers, but it's the configuration that makes them the professional choice. If the Macbook Pro is supposed to be a professional option of mac laptops, then it makes no sense having a gaming card in them and no option to order one with a professional card...

Seriously, it makes no sense, it's not a gaming laptop and how "big" is the gaming community for macs? It's far less then the professional market. Mac's just aren't made for gaming, PC's are way ahead. So why a gaming card? Makes absolutely no sense at all, seriously.

* Intel core i7 (3,7 Ghz), 16gb RAM, GeForce GTX 580 3gb - workstation. * Macbook Pro Retina 15 (late 2013) 16gb Ram - Laptop * DeckLink Extreme3D with... [view my complete system specs]

64 bit, GPU acceleration, better AMA, better exports with GPU acceleration, better grading with true secondary and lift gamma gain, higher resolutions (4K, 5K etc.) and a video stream online (for directors being far away on the phone or skype).

That would blow ANY competition away and it will be future-proof MC for a long time.

• Thu, Mar 3 2011 3:26 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 506
    • Points 6,795

Glans:
    Seriously, it makes no sense, it's not a gaming laptop and how "big" is the gaming community for macs? It's far less then the professional market. Mac's just aren't made for gaming, PC's are way ahead. So why a gaming card? Makes absolutely no sense at all, seriously.
    I'm afraid you are beating a dead horse. None of us knows how or why Apple makes its configuration decisions. Some factors are power consumption, supply chain and advanced plans. By "professional", Apple hardly means VIDEO or FILM professionals. It's a much broader spectrum. With this in mind, the machines blow away any and all PC notebooks in a comparable price range with these same features.

I suggest you buy the HP EliteBook. It's a great machine and designed as a true mobile workstation. I think you will be happier.

- Oliver

• Sun, Mar 6 2011 12:08 AM In reply to

• oc1285
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 16 2011
    • Posts 5
    • Points 105

I walked into the MAC Store today with the intention of walking out with a 13" Macbook Pro.  I had the list of minimum MAC requirements to run Avid MC 5.0 (which I plan to buy this week) and, checking through the options, was stalled at two points.  

As far as the salesperson knew, there was no option to put a 7200 rpm hard drive in the 13", so I'd have to pick up an external HD (Lacie 320GB, 7200 rpm).  No problem.  

Then, the issue of the graphics card came up.  I was told that they only had Intel HD Graphics 3000 in this model.  I had to walk out without making a purchase because I couldn't (and still can't) find a definitive "yes" or "no" on whether this graphics card will run Avid MC 5.0.

Has anyone been able to get an answer on this question yet?

• Sun, Mar 6 2011 12:53 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,140
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Previous generations of Mac portables with only integrated graphics were not qualified to run either Avid or FCP.  The new MacBook Pros have not yet been qualified.  However, if you look at the FCP tech specs today you'll see:

ATI or NVIDIA graphics processor (integrated Intel graphics processors not supported).  That's a sign that it won't work for either product.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sun, Mar 6 2011 1:21 AM In reply to

• oc1285
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 105

Thank you.  Any idea what my options are, where I could shop for a system that'll work?  I'm not super computer saavy so I kind of feel like I'm at a dead end now.  

At this point, I've pretty much given up on MAC.  Even their desktops all use the Intel HD Graphics 3000 card now.  It's unfortunate because, with the 15" MacBook Pro, the specs meet the Avid requirements (after upgrading the HD to a 7200 rpm one).  I checked the refurbished models, but their HDs don't run fast enough (they're all 5400 rpm) and they don't allow for upgrades with those models.

• Sun, Mar 6 2011 8:20 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,140
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

It's generally not recommended to put your media on the internal boot drive so you might want to reconsider that 7200 RPM drive as a external Firewire drive.  If you do use a 5400 RPM model, it may be OK for lower bit rate projects (DNx145 or DNx115, DVCPro HD, XDCAM, DV, HDV, etc.).  BTW, you can easily upgrade the HD in any MacBook Pro by removing the bottom cover and pulling the drive out.  It won't void the warranty either.

iMacs, MacBook Pros (15" and 17"), Mac Pros all have qualified graphics chips, some also have integrated graphics as a power saving option.  The only Macs that won't work are MacBook, MacBook Air and Mac Mini.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sun, Mar 6 2011 9:27 AM In reply to

• oc1285
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 105

Thanks!  The Just to confirm (forgive me, I'm a total newbie), I'm looking at purchasing the new MacBook Pro:

15-inch: 2.0 GHz

• 2.0GHz quad-core
    • 4GB 1333MHz
    • 500GB 5400-rpm1
    • Intel HD Graphics 3000
    • (Plus the 7200 rpm external HD for media)
    Even though it doesn't have the NVIDIA GeForce graphics card, it'll run MC 5.0? Also, I just noticed that it runs at 2.0 GHz, the minimum requirement calls for 2.33.

• Sun, Mar 6 2011 10:13 AM In reply to

• Glans
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 639
    • Points 9,815

oc1285:

Thanks!  The Just to confirm (forgive me, I'm a total newbie), I'm looking at purchasing the new MacBook Pro:

15-inch: 2.0 GHz

• 2.0GHz quad-core
    • 4GB 1333MHz
    • 500GB 5400-rpm1
    • Intel HD Graphics 3000
    • (Plus the 7200 rpm external HD for media)

Even though it doesn't have the NVIDIA GeForce graphics card, it'll run MC 5.0? Also, I just noticed that it runs at 2.0 GHz, the minimum requirement calls for 2.33.

For what purpsoe is this for? Offline editing at SD?

I would still look into a 17 model. It has an express card port for use with MXO2 mini and higher processing power and of course a bigger screen. Don't get a slow drive as the main drive, go for a SSD drive, that will make a huge difference.

• Sun, Mar 6 2011 10:46 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,345

oc1285:

MC certified Mac systems

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Mar 6 2011 3:17 PM In reply to

oc1285:

I walked into the MAC Store today with the intention of walking out with a 13" Macbook Pro.  .....

I was told that they only had Intel HD Graphics 3000 in this model.  

If you were looking at the one with the Intel HD Graphics card then you were not looking at a MacBook Pro.  The regular MacBook (which is limited to a 13" model) is the only one* that comes with the Intel gfx card.  

The regular MacBook has never been qualified for use with MC or FCP, even before these new ones came out last week.

Additionally, Avid and FCP have only ever qualified the 15" and 17" models.  

*EDIT:  sorry, should've double-checked the apple site before posting.  Apparently, you can get the Intel gfx card in a MBP, but it is only option available in the 13" model.  The 13" model is just not up to spec for video editing.  

oc1285:
    there was no option to put a 7200 rpm hard drive in the 13", so I'd have to pick up an external HD (Lacie 320GB, 7200 rpm).  No problem

Actually, yes problem.  An external FW drive connects how?  FireWire 800 or USB.  That means that you're limiting the bandwith and will likely see performance issues.  

All signs are pointing to you getting the 15" at least.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Mar 6 2011 6:42 PM In reply to

• Glans
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 639
    • Points 9,815

The 15 and 17 model has the intel graphics AND the AMD card, that's the difference between them and the 13.

mjolnarn:

Link to the qualification page of Avid for mac

Clarified support of HD capture on Macbooks. Capture of any HD material (DNxHD, XDCAM HD, or DVCPro HD) is not supported on Macbooks.

What? You can't capture HD material on teh Macbook Pro? So if we have 5.5 with a AJA IO we can't use capture?
    If so... let me laugh, sorry

• Sun, Mar 6 2011 7:50 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,345

Glans:

What? You can't capture HD material on teh Macbook Pro? So if we have 5.5 with a AJA IO we can't use capture?
    If so... let me laugh, sorry

Christoffer, if you actually read that linked document that is written in English you will notice that the part of it that you are qouting are about Avid Mojo recommendations.

You will also notice, when reading it, that the recommendations to not use it for HD capturing not is related to the Matrox Mini unit.

When reading it very closely, an reading it once again, I can not see the AJA unit mentioned anywhere into that document.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 2 of 3 (41 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller