Latest post Tue, Mar 8 2011 12:42 PM by Glans. 40 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 25 2011 9:51 PM

• Stu
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 6 2010
    • Washington DC
    • Posts 352
    • Points 4,300

New MacBookPro uses AMD Radeon graphics cards

http://computers.bhinsights.com/content/ride-thunderbolt-new-macbook-pro.html/?BI=7688&kw=MacBook_Pro_Article

And then I read this:

"and the AMD Radeon graphics cards in the 15" and 17" models"

While it's too early to say anything we should assume that it will still include NVidia cards correct?

Lenovo E31 Thinkstation - MC 8.3.0 - Win7Pro SP1 - 1x Xeon 1275v2 - Kingston 32GB 1600MHz ECC - Quadro2000 /// w540: Win8.1 (not pro) - 4th gen i7 4710MQ... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 25 2011 10:16 PM In reply to

• OliverPeters
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Orlando, FL
    • Posts 506
    • Points 6,800

Re: New MacBookPro uses AMD Radeon graphics cards

Stu:
    While it's too early to say anything we should assume that it will still include NVidia cards correct?

Nope. Gone. ATI/AMD only, just like the Mac Pros. Avid MC should be just fine.

- Oliver

• Fri, Feb 25 2011 10:22 PM In reply to

Stu:
    While it's too early to say anything

Why do you think it's too early?  Apple already has them on their site ready for you to configure and buy... and the AMD Radeon is the only card available.  

Now, historically MC has been qualified to run on any qualified Mac, regardless of whether it was nVidia or ATI gfx card.  The nVidia only qualification is more on the PC side.  Using all reasonable logic I have left this week, I can't see Avid *not* supporting the new MacBook Pro.  The question to which I will not speculate is which version of MC will be qualified on these new computers.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sat, Feb 26 2011 9:35 AM In reply to

• namrbius
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 16 2010
    • Posts 66
    • Points 850

What about the 13" models with the intel HD 3000?  Would that be compatible?

Custom PC running MC6: ASUS P8Z86-V PRO Motherboard, Intel Core-i7 2600K at 3.4Ghz w/ Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus, Samsung SATA III SSD 60GB, Hitachi 7200RPM... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 26 2011 4:32 PM In reply to

I'm would guess not, the 13" MacBook with the Intel GFX card was never qualified and so I wouldn't expect the new 13" models to be qualified either.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sat, Feb 26 2011 6:04 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,580
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

One clue to look for is whether the new 13" MacBook Pro is qualified for FCP.  Because of the graphics power (or lack thereof) the MacBook and MacBook Air are not qualified for FCP or Avid.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 11:27 AM In reply to

• Glans
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 640
    • Points 9,885

The new macbook pro needs to be qualified or else I think that most people using avid on mac will give up and buy a PC.
    I for one would love to get the new macbook pro, but the AMD spec scares me, if it had an Nvidia card I would get one in an instant.

There are more to it then Avid, alot of other softwares used in post-production make use of Nvidias quadro cards and it's CUDA.

What I really don't understand is why the market a "PRO" computer, as Macbook Pro is supposed to be, like it was a gaming computer. AMD graphic cards has been more on the gaming side then professional and Nvidias quadro series has always been the professional Go.

Thing is, the AMD choice feels like a choice aimed for gamers and the thunderbolt for professionals. What is the new macbook pro supposed to be? A professional gaming laptop?

Again going PC, being able to put the hardware you need into a computer is better, but there has always been a lack of ports needed in post on a PC laptop. A powerful PC laptop with thunderbolt, Nvidia quadro and a the new intel processor would make my day...    or a macbook pro that actually aims at professional for real.

* Intel core i7 (3,7 Ghz), 16gb RAM, GeForce GTX 580 3gb - workstation. * Macbook Pro Retina 15 (late 2013) 16gb Ram - Laptop * DeckLink Extreme3D with... [view my complete system specs]

64 bit, GPU acceleration, better AMA, better exports with GPU acceleration, better grading with true secondary and lift gamma gain, higher resolutions (4K, 5K etc.) and a video stream online (for directors being far away on the phone or skype).

That would blow ANY competition away and it will be future-proof MC for a long time.

• Mon, Feb 28 2011 12:30 PM In reply to

• mikepat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 24 2006
    • London, UK
    • Posts 29
    • Points 405

I've been using the Avid qualified HP NW8440 laptop, which has an ATI graphics card, with MC for the last 3 years without any issues.  I'd been planning to upgrade to the new Macbook but will have to wait now to see if it qualifies.

MC 8.6.1, OS X 10.10.5, 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (Harpertown), 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 1 2011 5:12 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,580

I'm sure it will qualify.  After all, the current Mac Pros changed over to ATI graphics cards and they got qualified.  The requirement for nVidia cards on PCs running Media Composer doesn't apply to Macs.  I don't think if Avid is using any GPU acceleration that is only applicable to nVidia cards like Adobe CS5 does, but maybe someone else could enlighten us more.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Mar 1 2011 10:46 AM In reply to

• Glans
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 640
    • Points 9,885

But how will this affect the development of Avid? I mean, for those who read in the "feature request" I tend to speak alot for the development of a CUDA acceleration in Avid Media Composer. So now, when the new Macbook Pro's and probably most of the Mac franchise will be AMD, how will it affect such a development. I mean AMD radeon isn't a graphic solution aimed for professionals, it's aimed for gamers. The battle between Nvidia and AMD has always been at the gaming fronline, the professional solutions have almost always been in favor of Nvidia with it's Quadro-series. But even here Apple fails to justify the choice of graphic cards. They choose the Radeon, not the FirePro...

So why? Why did they go for Radeon? In my view it makes no sense in the professional world...   It might be that Apple is doing the same here as with the Macbook Air, which had a Intel Core 2 Duo processor in it....  in december 2010??
    And now they are speculating to release an Air model with the Sandy Bridge this summer, six months after?

It smells corporate poltical bull to me.

Am I really alone thinking that if this Macbook Pro release had one of the later Geforce cards or even better the Quadro cards, it might be too good to turn down. That with the further development of CUDA as a computing revolution for heavy duty graphic workers was just "overlooked" when apple choosed Radeon? Am I alone questioning if I should buy a MBP just because of the graphics?

I can get much better specs... minus the thunderbolt with a PC for a less price... why should I get this?

* Intel core i7 (3,7 Ghz), 16gb RAM, GeForce GTX 580 3gb - workstation. * Macbook Pro Retina 15 (late 2013) 16gb Ram - Laptop * DeckLink Extreme3D with... [view my complete system specs]

64 bit, GPU acceleration, better AMA, better exports with GPU acceleration, better grading with true secondary and lift gamma gain, higher resolutions (4K, 5K etc.) and a video stream online (for directors being far away on the phone or skype).

That would blow ANY competition away and it will be future-proof MC for a long time.

• Tue, Mar 1 2011 8:13 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,580

You have your priorities so get a PC.  However, until Avid takes advantage of CUDA acceleration, it's a bit of a moot point.  Besides, if you really want serious acceleration you need a desktop machine as a laptop is going to be restrained because of the limited number of PCI lanes available to an expansion chassis or the heat and power restrictions that have to be considered for a internal GPU chip.

Of course an external GPU device that uses Thunderbolt would be annoying if you had a PC...

• Wed, Mar 2 2011 6:31 AM In reply to

• Glans
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 640
    • Points 9,885

hbrock:
    However, until Avid takes advantage of CUDA acceleration, it's a bit of a moot point

That is what I mean, will there be any progress with developing CUDA support in Avid when the new Macbook Pro's cannot use it?

As for what I need, I do alot of DIT work and the macbook pro is a good choice for that. I have a small business trying to compete with big ones and therfor I need one computer that can do all the work, DIT, Editing, Post, etc.
    So I'm looking for the best choice for me and if it had an Nvidia card it would have been perfect for me, now I don't know.

• Wed, Mar 2 2011 8:52 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,580

Hacintosh?  External chassis with a nVidia card?  Big battery and an inverter for a Mac Pro?  If it's any consolation, the new GPUs are benchmarking at 3x faster than their predecessors.  

You're asking for a GPU for software that doesn't exist.  Apple hasn't yet exploited Grand Central fully and a new version of FCP is coming someday.  Maybe nVidia isn't the only game in town (excuse the pun)?

If you haven't done so, you should post your suggestions on the Feature Request forum.

• Wed, Mar 2 2011 1:14 PM In reply to

• Glans
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 640
    • Points 9,885

The GPU is 3x faster then the previous generation... when it comes to games. The CUDA isn't just for Avid. Editors today have more software then just Avid and the other softwares and encoders make use of CUDA. Also, the Quadro card from Nvidia are tweaked for the performance of OpenGL and is working much better together with softwares that doesn't use directX or similar as it's rendering.

What surprises me the most is that Macbook Pro never had a quadro, it has always been GeForce and now when they switched it's a Radeon card... I mean, come on, it's supposed to be a professional laptop, for professionals with demanding applications. So why is there a gaming card in there? Why was it in the previous generation? I'm not comparing PC to MAC, I'm comparing between professional solutions and question why Apple do stuff that no one else does (in a bad way this time) and why the industry follows it like slaves. The HP EliteBook doesn't have the option to ahve anything other then the Quadro series. It's a professional computer for people working with demanding applications, it has a dreamcolor display with billions of colors making it a portable grading tool.

So why doesn't the macbook pro have a FirePro or Quadro card? It makes no sense. Why isn't there an option to have either nvidia or amd? Why not more choices? For a gamer it might be good, but for professionals?

• Wed, Mar 2 2011 9:42 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,580

I think you're missing a bigger picture.  Apple doesn't compete with every possible permutation of PCs out there.  That's one way of "thinking different".   While your ideal machine may be perfect for you, it might not sell in sufficient quantity to justify it's cost for Apple.  After all, they discontinued the X-Serv because "not enough people were buying them". With the exception of running OSX, most of your needs can be answered by a PC portable workstation. How many DITs are out there in the world?  And how many laptops did Apple sell in the last quarter?  Don't take it personally, but Apple doesn't really care about your specific needs.  But PC makers do!  

Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller