Latest post Wed, Feb 16 2011 4:03 AM by tveyes. 18 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 15 2011 7:28 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: hd broadcast files?

There are enough codecs available, the issue is about settling on one that everyone can agree on.

DNxHD (aka SMPTE VC.3) is a good option, MPEG-2 is pretty viable too. 

Dirac is a promising codec, but it lacks the wide support necessary to make it a good option for broadcast delivery.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Tue, Feb 15 2011 8:51 AM In reply to

Hey guys.

This is a very interesting topic. In our case, we shoot HDV (m2t) with our Sonys, edit in AvidMC and deliver for several purposes: DVD (pre-authoring), Bigscreen presentation, internet.

I am currently mastering back to HDV (m2t) and delivering MP4 files (our distributor seems ok with it). What would be your recommendation? I tried to export to QT (DNXHD) and file size is 4X bigger than on HDV.

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

• Tue, Feb 15 2011 9:13 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,460
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

HDV is quite a lossy format. It's not very good as a mastering format espeically for footage that was acquired as HDV. The file you output from the Avid is your master from which all your deliverables can be created - it should, ideally, be the highest quality you can reasonably manage.

A higher quality file will be bigger, but it's worth it.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Wed, Feb 16 2011 4:03 AM In reply to

• tveyes
    • Not Ranked
    • New York City
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,290

I aggree " a higher quality file will be bigger , but it's worth it.. thanks again for your help in this thread.  I ended up exporting out of the avid a QuickTime movie with the orginal setting used in the input. This was done in multi-pass mode. I also exported out an m2t that was generated in a sixth of the time.  Made a HQ multi pass mp4 file in squeeze by both files.  Found the .mov file made a better file in squeeze than the m2t file.  Mp4 file I was able to put up on a ftp site for quick downloads.  It was a fairly  nice quality files to edit with when transported back into the avid.  The larger mov files are good for archival and for those stations who what bigger files. What I learned is well worth to export large if you have time  and if are concern about the quality… Oherwise you can go with m2t format.. and maybe no one will notice. And Mp4 hq file was a nice compressed file that looked ok.

MacBook Pro 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Media Composer 5.3 [view my complete system specs]

tveyes

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller