Latest post Tue, Feb 1 2011 7:26 PM by slabross. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 31 2011 2:39 PM

• beactive
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

DS & ProRes

Hi,

We are finishing a job where the original footage was in Prores 4:4:4 and the final delivery needs to be DPX for DCI master.

We did an off-line in FCPro and we have a EDL.

Can we import Prores footage into DS to do the conform?

If so what is the best procedure?

If not, which format should we convert the Prores 4:4:4 to? We want to avoid to convert PRORES to another format and then export in another format (DPX).

Nuno

• Mon, Jan 31 2011 4:45 PM In reply to

• GusC
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 531
    • Points 6,565

Re: DS & ProRes

You MAY be able to AMA the proRes stuff into MC5, then transcode to mxf, then open in DS to export DPX.  Welcome to Avid's massive hole-in-the-high-res-workflow that exists when trying to do file based workflows that involve dpx exports...

Or maybe MetaFuze?  I never use it so I just don;t know.  Michael? Igor? Dermot?

• Mon, Jan 31 2011 5:34 PM In reply to

• mrmikster
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Los Angeleez
    • Posts 572
    • Points 6,450
    • Moderator: Avid DS
      Moderator: MetaFuze

MetaFuze is 422, so no. You could try Autoduck to AMA (option in Duck) and transcode through MC to DS. 

-m

"There are no rules for the brave". Albert Einstein

• Mon, Jan 31 2011 5:44 PM In reply to

• Tommyp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 25 2006
    • Ann Arbor, MI
    • Posts 74
    • Points 880
    • Moderator: Avid DS

You can capture the ProRes 4:4:4:4 QT's in DS, I think your trouble will be getting the EDL to come over and look to the QT's. Not in front of FCP and Automatic Duck right now, I think there was an issue with files based media and getting DS to see that correctly from the AAF.

So, try, Automatic duck from FCP to MC, then open in MC and export an AAF and/or and AFE to use in DS. You will have to play around to see if you need to keep or delete or add tape names in wither FCP or MC to help DS. At the very least, you'll have a timeline in DS that you can see the QT name and TC, then you'll be matching names and timecode and hitting replace.

Best I have right now. Not fun, but doable.

Tom

Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Jan 31 2011 5:59 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,507
    • Points 42,255

We are currently doing somewhat of this workflow (minus DPX).  I brought 444 ProRes into MC and transcoded to 10 bit RGB 444 in MC and opened it in DS. 

BUT, for some reason DS is not seeing the time code of the transcoded files.  It is treating it as file based and making all shots TC start of 00:00:00:00.  But the sequence is correct!!!

Still puzzleing this one.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Jan 31 2011 9:57 PM In reply to

• slabross
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 938
    • Points 9,690
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid DS

Jef, engineering answered your question on the DS Google forum:

If there is no explicit timecode in the Quicktime file, the AMA support will derive one based on the file system time. We will add support to choose to use the same algorithm for deriving timecode when it is missing or not in a future release.

Sylvain Labrosse
    Principal Expert | Services and Customer Success

Avid
    3510 St-Laurent Boulevard
    Montréal, QC H2X 2V2
    Canada
    sylvain.labrosse@avid.com

Create cases online now at  csportal.avid.com 
    It's fast, easy and effective!

We're Avid.  Learn more at www.avid.com  

• Tue, Feb 1 2011 3:48 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,507
    • Points 42,255

slabross:
    If there is no explicit timecode in the Quicktime file, the AMA support will derive one based on the file system time. We will add support to choose to use the same algorithm for deriving timecode when it is missing or not in a future release.

Sylvain,

I must not be explaining myself well, or am not understanding the situation.

I have 444 ProRes files WITH TC.  I AMA link to it.  I get various TCs from the shoot.  8 hr,  5 hr, etc.  All good TC as confirmed by logs.   I then transcode these ProRes files to DNX.  The TC of the new clips matches after the transcode. To me this is explicit timecode.  Am I wrong?

Thanks,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Tue, Feb 1 2011 7:26 PM In reply to

• slabross
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 938
    • Points 9,690
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid DS

Then you conform the AAF or AFE in DS and create the masterclips and create the tape sources.  And the timecode information is lost?

If yes, I think you should officially open a support ticket so we can reproduce and investigate this with you files.

Sylvain Labrosse
    Principal Expert | Services and Customer Success

Avid
    3510 St-Laurent Boulevard
    Montréal, QC H2X 2V2
    Canada
    sylvain.labrosse@avid.com

Create cases online now at  csportal.avid.com 
    It's fast, easy and effective!

We're Avid.  Learn more at www.avid.com  

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller