Latest post Fri, Jan 28 2011 7:29 PM by dermot. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 28 2011 12:15 PM

• ripple
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 10 2010
    • Posts 35
    • Points 550

Is there a way of identifying the media?

Hi there

Me again with another basic enquiry.

I have a whole heap of video media and audio media that has been parked on another drive, and I'm trying to identify where the media comes from.

Basically I've come into this job and to be frank the media is all over the place and I'm trying to sort it all out. Archives are all over the place and so is the media.

Is there an easy way I can identify what project the media relates too?

I look in project manager and can see the source model to the projects that are on the system. But I think what's happened is that stuff has been archived, the media moved out of the way. (not purged for some reason!), so I have a whole load of stuff and I don't know what it is!

I hope that all makes sense!

Cheers

• Fri, Jan 28 2011 12:44 PM In reply to

Re: Is there a way of identifying the media?

Ripple:

Start by making sure the media you have follows these Media Folder Management Ground Rules:

1) The "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF media) and the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder (for OMF media) MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, not inside any other folders or the system will not be able to find the media.

2) The folder names must always be the factory default names listed above (minus the quotes) or the system will not be able to find the media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

Then, rebuild the media database files. Quit the application, and in each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify as "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb". If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point.

Since you say you still have the individual project folders on the system drive, this should sort everything out and relink what media belongs to which project. Let's see what happens and then go from there.

{EDIT}: I just now noticed you're on Avid DS. I'm not sure if the media management procedures are the same for DS as they are for Media Composer.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jan 28 2011 12:45 PM In reply to

• udosauer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • Posts 448
    • Points 5,255

Hello,

there is a free windows tool: MDV (just google Avid MDV). For mac i think there's only mediamover, which is not free. Then you also have the media tool inside MC, that can help you too.

Another tip: sort the mediafiles by date, sometimes you can distinguish projects with this method pretty good.

EDIT: oh this applies to Avid MC of course not to DS. I read this question from the rss-feed, and did not realise you talk about DS...

regards,

Udo

2x HP Z800 with Mojo DX and MC7.0 | 1x HP Z800 with Nitris DX and MC7.0+SYM-Option | 1x Unity MEFC5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 28 2011 1:53 PM In reply to

• slabross
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 938
    • Points 9,690
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid DS

The above replies to your query are indeed not Avid DS specific, and they might not help you.

But you got a good start with using the Project Manager in Avid DS to relate a project identity via its GUID (alpha-numeric) name.

And outside of the application, you can also use the DS Project Mover tool to list projects and display this identity.

Then you search the system and disks for matching GUID folders that contain audio and video.

If the audio and video files are not located in their original GUID folders, the person who did this backup or move made a huge mistake, because now it becomes very difficult to match media with projects.

One key is the clip's name as Avid DS inserts the name in the media file.

Example:  ds$this is a clip name@1920x1080c1xxxxx.gen

You can compare projects and clips and relate them to media files, but this can take a good chunk of your time, unless you offload this task to an assistant.  Wink

Sylvain Labrosse
    Principal Expert | Services and Customer Success

Avid
    3510 St-Laurent Boulevard
    Montréal, QC H2X 2V2
    Canada
    sylvain.labrosse@avid.com

Create cases online now at  csportal.avid.com 
    It's fast, easy and effective!

We're Avid.  Learn more at www.avid.com  

• Fri, Jan 28 2011 2:44 PM In reply to

• ripple
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 35
    • Points 550

slabross:
    The above replies to your query are indeed not Avid DS specific

You're right Sylvain, I was after a ds specific answer. I'm familiar with how the media works with MC which is why I'm struggling a bit with how ds handles it's media.

Fortunately, everything that has been backed up IS still in it's original GUID folder. The issue I have is that as I'm not familiar with the projects, looking at the clip names doesn't really tell me anything.

slabross:
    unless you offload this task to an assistant

If only!! Just me I'm afraid Sad

What I was really hoping for was something like the media tool in avid MC. where I could look at media on a specific drive and then I could choose a 'project' column, and then hey presto..there would be my answer!

Rip

• Fri, Jan 28 2011 3:09 PM In reply to

• Tommyp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 25 2006
    • Ann Arbor, MI
    • Posts 74
    • Points 880
    • Moderator: Avid DS

For the media that has been moved out of the way - does it still reside in the GUID folder? (the folder with the really long name) or has it all been dumped into one folder?

If it's in the GUID folder still, no trouble, just move the coresponding folder back into your storage.

If, however, it is all in one giant folder, you will need to move that folder back into your DS storages, the open the project you are interested in, open the media tool(under "views" in your project root folder), Select the projects folder at the top to show all projects, drag our project to the clips icon (the last one) and this will show you all the clips for that project. You can select them all and right click, chose "Move to Storage..." and pick a different storage. It will then move all of your media to that new storage and put it in the correct GUID folder.

Time consuming, maybe, but will work.

Tom

Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Jan 28 2011 3:59 PM In reply to

• ripple
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 35
    • Points 550

Tommyp:

For the media that has been moved out of the way - does it still reside in the GUID folder? (the folder with the really long name) or has it all been dumped into one folder?

It's all in the origional guid folders.

Tommyp:
    then open the project you are interested in

This is the problem. I don't know what project the media links to.

Imagine you had a GUID folder with 50gb worth of media, and all the clips are named in a way that doesn't mean anything to you, and the project had been archived and removed from the projects folder, and is no loner on your system, but you've got a list of about 200 archives spread all over the place, some on DVD, some on drives, but only 1 of them (may) link to that GUID folder. What I would like to do is without knowing the project, find out what project that media relates to. Then I can restore the project..play out to tape and purge the media.

I hope that makes sense!

Cheers

R

• Fri, Jan 28 2011 4:19 PM In reply to

• Tommyp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 25 2006
    • Ann Arbor, MI
    • Posts 74
    • Points 880
    • Moderator: Avid DS

Yes! It does make sense. You need the project archives, no way around it, BUT, you don't have to restore them.

In the project archive, there is an "archive.log" file. It opens with Notepad, and in there it will tell you the GUID folder name for that project. match them up and you will know who goes with who.

You can open each one and look for each archive.log file OR, copy the GUID folder name and do a windows search of the place your archives reside and search for that name using the "A word or phrase in the file:" option. It should find that archive.log file for your media. (along with some other things)

Good luck!

Tom

Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Jan 28 2011 4:37 PM In reply to

• ripple
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 35
    • Points 550

Tommyp:
    OR, copy the GUID folder name and do a windows search of the place your archives reside and search for that name using the "A word or phrase in the file:" option. It should find that archive.log file for your media. (along with some other things)

Hey now that sounds like a good idea! I'll try that.

Thanks for your help

rx

• Fri, Jan 28 2011 6:48 PM In reply to

• slabross
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 938
    • Points 9,690
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid DS

Do you still have any DS projects around?

If yes, copy the media GUID folder name and perform a Windows Search in the DS Projects location and it will tell you what project it is associated to.

I just did it and it works well.  Wink

Sylvain Labrosse
    Principal Expert | Services and Customer Success

Avid
    3510 St-Laurent Boulevard
    Montréal, QC H2X 2V2
    Canada
    sylvain.labrosse@avid.com

Create cases online now at  csportal.avid.com 
    It's fast, easy and effective!

We're Avid.  Learn more at www.avid.com  

• Fri, Jan 28 2011 7:29 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

and there's a GEN file viewer utlity called "GEN Look" in the support folder so you can look at them without DS

d

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller