Latest post Fri, Oct 12 2018 11:29 PM by chuckkahn. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 8 2006 8:36 PM

How to add comments to timeline

A client is requesting comments on the edl for each clip in the sequence. I used to be able to do this with the old AV/BV Avid that I was working on but since I switched to Avid Express Pro I can't figure if it's do-able. Not talking about adding comments during digitze....but after. Any thoughts? Thanks
    I'm using 4.6.5 software on a Mac Power PC G5 w/ OS 10.3.9
  • Wed, Feb 8 2006 8:56 PM In reply to

• feincut
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Central PA
    • Posts 932
    • Points 10,820

Re: How to add comments to timeline

This thread has the answer.

1. Click one of the Segment Mode buttons (located below the Timeline), and highlight the clip to which you want to add a comment in the Timeline.
    2. Click the Clip Name menu above the monitor, and select Add Comments. The Comments dialog box opens.
    3. Type your comments in the text box, and click OK. n You can display the comments in the Timeline by selecting Clip Text from the Timeline Fast menu.
    4. Click one of the Segment Mode buttons again to leave Segment mode.

Mac G5 Dual-2__10.4.9__3.5 GB RAM__ XpressPro 5.7__MOJO classic__ Internal SATA 400 GB drive__ PCI: slot 4 firewire400__slot 3 firewire800__ nVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 8 2006 9:43 PM In reply to

Confused [*-)] Re: How to add comments to timeline

This is how I used to do it when I worked on my ancient avbv system. However, I don't see the clip name menu on this software I have. Am I missing something right in front of me? So sorry....
  • Wed, Feb 8 2006 11:07 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,517
    • Points 64,020
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

It's the pulldown menu in the upper corners of the Composer/Source monitor that has the list of recent clips. Add comments... will be right after Clear Monitor and Duplicate and before Clear Menu.
    MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Wed, Feb 8 2006 11:16 PM In reply to

• vvp
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Edmonton, Canada
    • Posts 659
    • Points 8,025

Its called Clip Comments (located in your Timeline quick Menu)
    MC Symphony Nitris DX v.7.0.3 HP Z800 * MC Nitris DX v.7.0.3 HP Z800 * MC v.7.0.3 HP Z800 [view my complete system specs]

So my new wife asks me about my "Avid Forever" tattoo... I told her she's an old girlfriend who was always coming up with new things for me to try...

• Wed, Feb 8 2006 11:34 PM In reply to

Surprise [:O] Re: How to add comments to timeline

Right in front of me like I thought. Thanks much! I thought forever this software didn't have the option...I feel like Dorothy and those ruby slippers....that and a bit dumb. Thanks again.
  • Fri, Jul 7 2006 4:24 PM In reply to

• dzgilad
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 51
    • Points 665

Is there a way to have "clip comments" from the Timeline show up as a column in bin view?

Or, more importantly, vice-versa? I'd like to add notes in the bin, and then have them be searchable within the Timeline.
  • Tue, Nov 18 2008 12:15 AM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 317
    • Points 3,530

When I make an EDL, all the comments come out in UPPERCASE.   Is there a way to export the comments with mixed case (along with IN and OUT times)?

Avid Media Composer 2018.8 / Mac OS Sierra / MacPro5,1 / 6-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz x2 / 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Oct 12 2018 11:29 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 317
    • Points 3,530

Yes, you can go to /Applications/Avid EDL Manager/SupportingFiles/EDL_Manager_Templates/ and edit the EDL Template (eg. CMX_3600) and look for the line with "toupper_conversion" on it and change the TRUE value to FALSE. 

At least that worked in AMC 6.5.   I'm on 2018.8 currently and can't reproduce the mixed case result after editing the File_129 file the same way, now located in the Applications/Avid Media Composer/SupportingFiles/EDL_Manager_Templates folder.

Avid Media Composer 2018.8 / Mac OS Sierra / MacPro5,1 / 6-Core Intel Xeon 2.66 GHz x2 / 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller