Latest post Mon, Jan 24 2011 6:49 AM by Job ter Burg. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 21 2011 10:09 PM

• Trixi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 25 2008
    • Posts 14
    • Points 165

AVID unable to load 2min dnxhd due to size issues

After finally finding a way to convert my .mts files from my JVC Everio to the HD dnxhd .mov files AVID could read, I thought I was in the clear.

Unfortunately when I went to import the file into AVID, it only worked smoothly for the first 25%.  Thereafter, it was about 1% an hour.  I cancelled and tried to import it in the reduced 15:1 resolution.  Same problem, only it made it all the way to 48%.  I let it run, and 20hrs later the file was loaded.  This was a 2 minute file, and I intend to cut a 30 minute piece in this format, with 10 odd hours of footage.   When the .mts is converted to dnxhd it's size gets 5-7x bigger.

I strongly suspect the problem lies in my limited hardware.  I am more than willing to upgrade, but am not sure whether its a new cpu I need, more RAM, or both.

Alternatively, is there another file format that would work without reducing quality?

I have:

Avid Express Pro HD v5.2.4

Windows XP Home 5.1.26

2.2Ghz, 2GB RAM

270 Gb used space, 30 Gb free space

1Tb external Hd with external power source

Total physical memory: 2,048mb Available physical memory: 1.57gb, 

Total virtual memory: 2Gb Available virtual memory: 1.96gb

Any advice would be appreciated!

Avid Express Pro HD v5.2.4 Windows XP Home 5.1.26 2.2Ghz, 2GB RAM 270 Gb used space, 30 Gb free space 1Tb external Hd with external power source Total... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 22 2011 9:34 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,689
    • Points 66,755

Re: AVID unable to load 2min dnxhd due to size issues

If the project settings match the mov's DNxHD codec settings You should be able to fast import the files; Your system is somehow underpowered, but should be within the specs to run XpressPro 5.2, and when it comes to importing files hard drive speed, for both the source and the destination drives, is the most critical factor.

Symphony 20.06, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Jan 24 2011 5:49 AM In reply to

• Trixi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 25 2008
    • Posts 14
    • Points 165

With the exception of the audio (it was importing at 41 instead of 48) the project settings seemed to match.  I did notice, however, that a 2 second clip imported in about 4 seconds.  What could be causing the "creating video fill from QT" to work at a good speed up to a certain percentage and then suddenly slow to an extreme crawl?

Avid Express Pro HD v5.2.4 Windows XP Home 5.1.26 2.2Ghz, 2GB RAM 270 Gb used space, 30 Gb free space 1Tb external Hd with external power source Total... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 24 2011 6:49 AM In reply to

Trixi:
    "creating video fill from QT"

Sounds like there's a matte track or something in the file you're trying to import.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller