Latest post Tue, Feb 22 2011 6:54 PM by mkeady. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 18 2011 9:59 PM

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 13 2008
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

The last-used project directory no longer exists

Hi Everyone,

We have an very minor issue on all of our machines connected to a LANSHARE. We store all our Avid projects on the one Unity workspace. When we launch Avid, we always select "External" for the project location and point it to the projects workspace. However, each time you start up Avid it says:

The last-used project directory no longer exists: Projects

This isn't really an issue, as all you have to do is click OK, and as long as the workspace is mounted using Connection Manager it works anyway - but it is annoying to get that pop-up message every time you start Media Composer, especially as the last-used project directory DOES actually exist and is properly mounted.

Does anyone else have the same issue? I would imagine most facilities using Unity would be storing their projects on a workspace?

We're running a Unity LANSHARE EX3 running 4.2.4. All our clients are Macs running 10.6.2 and Media Composer 4.0.5.

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Best Regards, Chris!

• Tue, Jan 18 2011 10:22 PM In reply to

Re: The last-used project directory no longer exists

Chris:

Have you tried restarting File Manager?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jan 18 2011 10:24 PM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

Yes, we have tried restarting File Manager, and restarting the whole Unity.

Very strange!

• Wed, Jan 19 2011 9:57 PM In reply to

• asedano
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 19 2011
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Hello Chris, I am having the same issue here. Please let me know if you find a solution. As you said. Isn´t really an issue, but it is really annoying. I am running Mac too. Maybe that part of the problem?

Thanks

Arturo

MC 5.0.3.5, MacPro, 6- Dual Core Intel Xeon, 2.66 GHz, 6 GB, Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5770, Matrox MX02

• Wed, Jan 19 2011 10:16 PM In reply to

I've pinged one of our resident Unity gurus on this one.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jan 19 2011 10:49 PM In reply to

It sounds like a settings file or preference file is corrupt.  However, you say this is happening on ll systems?  If so, it's unlikely those types of files are corrupt across all systems. 

Does "Projects" in the error message refer to the Workspace name, or the root-level folder on the Workspace?  I aways create an Avid Projects folder at the root level of the project Workspace.  That Workspace is typically named "<Project-Name> Projects".

Also, as a test, I'd make a new Workspace for Projects, and see if the issue persists.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jan 20 2011 12:33 AM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

Thanks for your reply Randall!

Yes, this happens on all of our Mac's all running 4.0.5 and the Ethernet MediaNetwork Client Version 5.2. Given this, I highly doubt it's a problem on the client end.

We have a workspace on the Unity called "Projects". All the actual Avid projects are stored in the root directory of this workspace.

I haven't tried creating a new workspace yet - but that's a great idea. I'll keep you posted!

• Thu, Jan 20 2011 12:53 AM In reply to

Also, create a folder on the root level of the Workspace, named "Avid Projects", and place the individual project folders inside that.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Sun, Jan 23 2011 11:12 PM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

Randall - as usual, you are a genius! Creating a folder within the root level of the workspace fixed the problem.

We tried creating a new workspace, but the issue still remained, so it must just be that Avid likes all the projects to live outside of the root folder...

Arturo I would love to hear if this fixes your problem too...

Thank you Randall!

Best Regards, Chris!

• Mon, Jan 24 2011 3:51 AM In reply to

Glad to help.

(wwld)

• Tue, Feb 22 2011 6:54 PM In reply to

• mkeady
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 29 2006
    • London
    • Posts 31
    • Points 395

I have come across this issue myself. I have tried doing what you have suggested and putting my projet into a 'Avid Projects' fodler on my unity drive (so it goes Unity Drive/Avid Projects/Project) but it still doesn't work. In fact, my project won't even open now. It goes to read the project and I get the Apple 'wheel-of-death' and stays like that until I have to force quit. Should I move/delete/refresh any settings file or folder when doing this?

Another user on the same project is not having the same "The last-used project directory no longer exists: Projects" problem that I am having, but they also get the wheel of death when I move the project into the 'Avid Projects' folder. They're project also wont open when its moved.

It's annoying as it resets my media creation settings every time I start my project up so I have to change this daily, and am slightly concerned that its changing other settings that I am yet unaware of.

Media Composer 5.5.3 Adrenaline Mac OSX 10.6.8 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller