Latest post Wed, Jan 19 2011 12:35 AM by Randall L. Rike. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 18 2011 9:35 PM

• jcooper85
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 8 2010
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

EDL Manager Missing?

Media Composer 5 was recently installed onto a new Macbook Pro and everything seemed to be going just fine.

Only just now, when trying to export an EDL, an error came up saying "Unable to find EDL Manager" and to please make sure it was installed.

What happened? Why isn't EDL Manager there, and how can we get it there?

• Tue, Jan 18 2011 10:25 PM In reply to

Re: EDL Manager Missing?

When you installed Media Composer 5, did you also install EDL Manager, which is an option during the install cycle?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jan 18 2011 10:39 PM In reply to

• jcooper85
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

I didn't personally install MC5, so I have no idea.

• Tue, Jan 18 2011 10:43 PM In reply to

Then I suggest you do a finder search for "EDL Manager" and if nothing is found, go back to either the MC5 install disk or the downloaded installer file and install it.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Jan 18 2011 10:46 PM In reply to

• jcooper85
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

Well, I put in the installer disc, and there's no EDL Manager in the drop down list of optional programs.

Probably a good reason why it's not there, then...

Why the hell wouldn't it be, though? And what are we supposed to do about it?!

• Tue, Jan 18 2011 10:52 PM In reply to

Check the disc for "Other Installers."  It may be there.

Not sure what version your physical disc is, but you can always get software from the Avid Download Center.

You can either download the "Helper Apps" for the version of software you are using, or move up to 5.0.3.7r, the latest version.  All software files after 5.0.3 have the Helper Apps built in.  You can deselect the ones you don't need anymore.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Jan 18 2011 10:58 PM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 13 2008
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

Up until recently, you had to install the EDL Manager separately to Media Composer. As Kevin said, it was normally in a "Other Installers" folder along with a whole lot of other things that should really be installed as well. Thankfully this issue is fixed in the latest version, as you don't have to run lots of separate installers.

• Tue, Jan 18 2011 11:46 PM In reply to

• jcooper85
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

So, the saga continues...

We just decided to re-install everything, and voila! EDL Manager is there.

However, any time we try to launch it, independently or via Media Composer, it crashes before anything even happens. This is getting ridiculous...

• Wed, Jan 19 2011 12:15 AM In reply to

• jcooper85
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

Got it to work, thanks for all your help everyone.

• Wed, Jan 19 2011 12:21 AM In reply to

You're quite welcome, but I'm curious as to your solution for the crashing issue.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jan 19 2011 12:23 AM In reply to

• jcooper85
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

Seems as though (from my best guess) that a fresh install was all it took. I wish I had a voodoo magic answer, but I just re-re installed it again and it worked.

No idea what was wrong with it.

• Wed, Jan 19 2011 12:35 AM In reply to

Could have just been a permissions issue.  I've gotten in the habit of repairing permissions before "and" after I install software.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller