Latest post Fri, Jan 14 2011 8:04 PM by Zac Hogle. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 14 2011 3:48 PM

• homerbert
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 14 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

XDCam project from CS5 to Media Composer

Hi Everyone, Please help me. I have a project on XDCam footage from an EX3, which I edited on Premiere CS5. It's being graded in Avid Media Composer 4.0.2 in a few days time. Premiere theoretically spits out an AAF that Media Composer can read, but tests aren't going well. It's opening the AAF fine, and I can see the timeline in tact. It brings in the files, but they're offline. If I manually bring in the files, they are all there and play. However, the timeline still reads as offline. I've tried relinking them numerous times but Avid won't see it. I'm presuming it's something to do with how Avid handles media versus Premiere and there seems to be some inconsistency as regards the .mp4 being at the name of the files. Anyone have any ideas how to get the avid to recognise my clips, or link the timeline to the manually imported clips? Thanks so much, I'm really desperate. Eoin
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Fri, Jan 14 2011 4:17 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 30 2010
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,745

Re: XDCam project from CS5 to Media Composer

Hi Eoin,

I haven't exported an OMF from Premiere, but that would be the first thing I would check. In Avid when you export an OMF you have the option to link to the media or actually embed it in the OMF. I would assume Premiere would have a similar option.

Check your export settings from Premiere to see if the media is actually becoming part of the OMF, or if the OMF is just transferring sequence data. If you set the media to embed, I'll bet that fixes the issues. Give it a try and let us know!

Z

• Fri, Jan 14 2011 4:31 PM In reply to

• homerbert
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Hi, Thanks for the advice, but OMF in Premiere only exports audio. There doesn't seem to be any way to get the AAF to have all the data embedded in it, unless I'm missing something.

Eoin

• Fri, Jan 14 2011 4:42 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,745

OK, so the OMF will give you the video and audio tracks, but won't actually export the video?

The next thing I would check is the tape names once the OMF has been imported into Avid. Are the tape names correct for each clip, are they even there? Sorry to go to basics on you, I just haven't worked with an OMF from Premiere before. If the tape names are not there, or are incorrect, fix them and then try batch capturing/importing the sequence.

Z

• Fri, Jan 14 2011 5:05 PM In reply to

• homerbert
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

There are no tape names in either project because it's coming from hard drive copies of EX3 footage from memory card. I tried giving the files a tape name in premiere to match in Avid, but that just seemed to confuse it more.

Thanks for all your help.

Eoin

• Fri, Jan 14 2011 8:04 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,745

Have you tried right clicking and batch importing the sequence in Avid? That would be a good thing to try. You may have to manually tell it where to find the files, but then it should import everything on it's own.

Z

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller