Latest post Thu, Dec 30 2010 2:18 AM by hbrock. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 29 2010 6:10 PM

• mikehatt86
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 18 2010
    • Posts 9
    • Points 145

Purchasing a Mac, Advice Needed.

I am looking to switch from using a PC to a Mac. 

I currently use Avid MC 5 on my PC, but will soon be learning to use Final Cut at college. My aim is to get into professional editing, currently i've edited a few short films, a music vid and news piece. 

I want to be able to run both final cut and avid on my home machine, hence looking to buy a Mac. 

Please can someone advise whether I am best getting a Laptop Macbook Pro, Mac pro desktop, or an imac.

I want to spend a max of £2000, although if possible cheaper the better. I will be working with HD footage. It's likely that I will do most of my editing at home, although I'm not sure whether a laptop would be a good idea if I need to do anything away from home. 

I currently have dual monitors so i'm leaning towards getting a mac pro, since its more upgrade friendly. But would consider a 27" imac. 

Please get back to me any Mac users.

Cheers. 

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Dec 29 2010 6:25 PM In reply to

Re: Purchasing a Mac, Advice Needed.

Unless you plan on doing "a lot" of mobile editing, I'd avoid the laptop.  Between the other two, as you pointed out, the Mac Pro can be upgraded, and can also house several internal media drives.  On the Mac Pro's, Avid recomends the Dual processor models, but the single Quad-Core is within your budget.  Single Quad-Procs work for iMac, so I'm guessing it will too on the Mac Pro.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Dec 30 2010 2:18 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,525
    • Points 64,130
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Purchasing a Mac, Advice Needed.

Check the Apple site and see if they have any refurbished Quad core machines.  That will probably get you the best bang for the buck and it comes with a warranty.  While the laptops can playback HD, they can't encode DNx when using a Mojo DX.  Also, the 15" MacBook Pro doesn't have an Express Card slot so your expansion options are limited.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller