Latest post Mon, Jan 3 2011 10:39 PM by Howard. 111 replies.
Page 1 of 8 (112 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 28 2010 9:46 AM

patch 5.0.3.7 breaks copy to clipboard and load to source monitor

As mentioned in the MAC section of the MC forums,

ALT+C or CTRL+ALT+C doesn't copy the selected material into the source monitor anymore...

going back to 5.0.3.5

wim

Social Media Manager at Avid
    Editor-in-Chief avidblogs.com

Got a great story to tell for #TimelineTuesday?
    Want to share a Media Composer Tutorial on #TutorialThursday?
    Contact me!

Twitter: @editorbelga
    Facebook: fb.com/editorbelga 
    WWLD

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 1:44 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,703
    • Points 61,440

Re: patch 5.0.3.7 breaks copy to clipboard and load to source monitor

Oh crap!

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2019.9 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019.5 | Sapphire 2019.5 | Mocha Pro 2019.5 | Titler Pro 7 | Windows 10 Pro... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 3:50 PM In reply to

Thankfully, I haven't installed it yet.  I really hate to bring this up, but how does a release make it out of QA if functionality like that is broken?  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 5:24 PM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 943
    • Points 12,040

I tested copy to clipboard, and it worked without any trouble. I used three different methods:

1. Marked in and out, and then "Cntrl + C", copies correct to the clipboard and can be loaded in Source monitor.

2. Marked in and out, and then "C" (copy to clipboard is mapped to C bydefault), copies correct to the clipboard and can be loaded in Source monitor.

3. Marked in and out, and then clicked on the "copy key" (which is placed from the command pallette to the control keay area of MC userinterface), copies correct to the clipboard and can be loaded in Source monitor.

How about other users?

Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 5:48 PM In reply to

• ramz434
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Long Island
    • Posts 216
    • Points 2,715

All of the above work for me, except the only one that I use, which is Ctrl+Alt+C - which copies the clip to the clipboard and simultaneously loads it into in the source monitor. 

Just one more extra step to now copy and paste.

Trying to figure out which is worse: copy and paste not working in 5.0.3.7 or the heads and tails fade not working in 5.0.3.5. Which is the one Im going to have to settle on dealing with til the next patch (that will break something else I use on a regular basis).

- HP Z400/24gb ram/Windows 10/MC2019.7/256gb Samsung SSD/ NVidia GTX 1080/HP ZR22 Monitors/ - Macbook Pro/16gb ram/OS 10.14.3/MC2019.6/NVIDIA GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 28 2010 5:52 PM In reply to

Joachim Claus:
    I tested copy to clipboard

Copy-to-clipboad works. ALT-copy-to-clipboard does not.

ALT-copy-to-clipboard not only copies to clipboard, but also instantly loads the clipboard contents into the source monitor. But that (ALT) part of the feature is broken in 5.0.3.7.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 28 2010 7:58 PM In reply to

• daapap
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Germany
    • Posts 523
    • Points 6,895

it seems we need different workstations with different versions of MC installed depending on our main focus while working: one if we need marquee scripts, one for dupe detection, one for ctrl-alt-c, one for head and tail fades, one for fast work with effects,  one to work with clip colors ... For every purpose there was a good solution once.
    unfortunately i need all of these all the time ...

if i would work like this i would not need this software anymore after 4, maybe 6 weeks!

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 8:58 PM In reply to

• Cagey
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vista, CA
    • Posts 319
    • Points 3,990

Heads should roll.  There's no better way to destroy customer confidence.  

What's more frustrating is the lack of active engagement from Avid technical.  We could be a great resource if they would make us a part of the solution.  How long did it take us to find the latest snafu? One day.

How much longer must we tolerate functional incompetance?.  Please, no more patches.  Just give us a rock-sold version update that addresses all the current bugs, and one that doesn't create new ones. 

Thank you.

He who does not feel his friends to be the world to him, does not deserve that the world should hear of him.

MC8.6.1, Z420 Xeon E5-2670, 32GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1080, DIGI002, Win 10 Pro 64-bit [view my complete system specs]

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that get binary, and those that don't.

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 9:13 PM In reply to

Cagey:
    How long did it take us to find the latest snafu? One day.

That's what troubles me the most about each of these releases.  It seems that whatever method is being used currently for testing does not take into account a multitude of everyday functional scenarios.  Therefore, it is not discovered during QA and the customer ends up finding the problem and usually right away.  

Used to be that Avid contracted real working editors to test the product before it was released, this is not the case anymore (or it is at least significantly less than it used to be) and I think the results are pretty clear as to what effect that is having on the product as a whole.  It really is a pity.  

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 9:14 PM In reply to

Just so everyone knows, I have already escalated this issue.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 9:19 PM In reply to

What I'd like to see happen, and I'll take this up with Marianna, is to have a group of you, the longtime, veteran users, to whom the next intended patch file would be delivered, after Engineering says it's ready (gold, their term) but BEFORE it gets posted on the patch center, for a final round of "real world" testing. Please indicate your willingness to be a part of this.

Thanks everyone. Just trying to come up with pragmatic solutions for an increasingly muddled situation.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 9:21 PM In reply to

Thanks Larry, 

I think that the real "issue" now is, as was pointed out above, this basic function was discovered to be broken roughly 24 hrs after the release was made public.  So now what? we wait for 5.0.3.8 and see what other basic things have been broken?

If there ever was a guide on how a company can alienate an existing customer base's relationship with their product, a chapter should be devoted to MC v5. 

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 9:24 PM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:

If there ever was a guide on how a company can alienate an existing customer base's relationship with their product, a chapter should be devoted to MC v5. 

As much as I wish it were otherwise, I'm sorry to say that I am forced to agree with this statement.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 9:36 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin:
    As much as I wish it were otherwise

I wish it were otherwise too.  I devote a lot of my time evangelizing for Avid products and Chairing the Boston Avid User Group.  I really don't want to see the product or company fail, but the directions they have taken and some decisions they have made in recent years (not just product-wise) have really started to fray the rope, in my humble and honest opinion.

I know first-hand that there are a lot of good, hard-working people in the trenches at Avid, ("below the line" - to use a film term) that are doing the best they can with what they've been given.  So, I want to make it absolutely clear that at no time do any of my comments refer directly to them.  

• Tue, Dec 28 2010 9:36 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin:
    I'm sorry to say that I am forced to agree with this statement.
    DS software is looking better with every MC5 patch

Larry Rubin:
    Please indicate your willingness to be a part of this.
    Assuming a heads up warning on an impending patches release timing could be given I would be happy to set aside 3 or 4 hours to put a patch through it's paces and supply feed back.

Page 1 of 8 (112 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller