Latest post Tue, Dec 21 2010 4:12 PM by Clement Canino. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 20 2010 3:31 PM

• jcooper85
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 8 2010
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

Xpress Pro Capture Live Feed?

I'm trying to find some information for my boss, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

He is going to be on set for a shoot, and needs to capture into his Avid from the video assist (timecode not necessary).

We're trying to figure out how to make something like that happen in Avid Xpress Pro on his laptop. The laptop itself only has HDMI, VGA and USB ports.

Let me know if there's any additional information you need.

• Mon, Dec 20 2010 3:59 PM In reply to

• Zac Hogle
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 30 2010
    • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 788
    • Points 9,745

Re: Xpress Pro Capture Live Feed?

Hey Jcooper,

I'm not saying this is 100% true, but I don't know if an HDMI port can be used for input. Not saying it can't, I just haven't tried it. What format is the video being shot in? With no firewire port, capturing live could become quite problematic. Unless the HDMI port can be configured for input, I don't think you have a port with enough speed to do that. You may need some sort of external encoder or streaming device to play it into the computer.

Z

• Mon, Dec 20 2010 4:09 PM In reply to

• jcooper85
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 8 2010
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

The footage is being shot on RED, but he's just looking to capture from the video assist, so I'm not sure the format matters. Basically, he wants to take a feed from what the video assist is seeing. That's my understanding of it, anyway.

In terms of an external encoder: We have a Matrox MXO2 hooked up to one of our towers, is that an encoder, or is that just for output?

Thanks!

• Mon, Dec 20 2010 4:30 PM In reply to

I think Zac is on the right track. Of the 3 interfaces you listed only USB can be used to input to the computer. If this is just USB 2.0 I am not sure you have enough bandwidth to do any video capture, but that I am not sure of. There may be a way to import at a greatly reduced resolution or frame rate.

I guess the other question is what is the video output from the RED? I am not familar with the camera so I don't know what the video assist is. If it is HDMI which it might be then you will have to find a device to translate that to 1394 firewire or USB.

Good luck!

Jeff

MC5.0.4, Panasonic AG-AC130 HD Cam & DVC30 SD Cam, Sager 9170 laptop, 17" 1920x1080, i7 3rd gen, 8gb ram, dual Hd's, GTX675m graphics. Emachine... [view my complete system specs]

Created Design Video - "Video for the common man"

• Mon, Dec 20 2010 8:45 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,713
    • Points 66,985

No capture with XpressPro without a firewire port, sorry man, and if You had one You'd still need a transcoder to feed the firewire with the video composite off the video assist output.

Symphony 20.06, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Dec 21 2010 4:38 AM In reply to

I do video assist and also use Avid to capture. Everyone here is right in a way. you could use an expresscard to firewire 400 adaptor, then something like a Canopus ADVC box or an analog Mojo to get the video into your system. That is assuming you'll be getting a downconverted feed from the video assist op. Otherwise just get the red files directly from the DIT or camera op, then import into MC if you have a 5.0 or later usiing AMA, or use free Metafuze to get the files into Xpress. Live capture is only with FW unless you have a Mojo DX and an expresscard HIB for the DX to feed. If no expresscard a cardbus FW card will work too.

System 1: HP Z400, 3.20G Quad Core, Quadro 4000, 250G SSD system drive,Windows 7 64, MojoDX w/active hib, 6G ram, Cal Digit VR ESATA Raid, Recommended... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 21 2010 6:23 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

jcooper85:

We have a Matrox MXO2 hooked up to one of our towers, is that an encoder, or is that just for output?

Yes, that should work, install the latest 5,0 drivers and use Matrox AV tools for capturing.

Do a test first, if the lap is enough good, even 10 bits hd capturing might be possible, if not, 8 bits should work well.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Dec 21 2010 4:12 PM In reply to

Sorry, forgot about the MXO2 capture program....

System 1: HP Z400, 3.20G Quad Core, Quadro 4000, 250G SSD system drive,Windows 7 64, MojoDX w/active hib, 6G ram, Cal Digit VR ESATA Raid, Recommended... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller